• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mizzuno MP ball

OP
anonymous golfaholic

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
If Bridgestone can cut into Titleist's marketshare, so can Mizuno. Its only a matter of time before the ProV1 is no longer, "the #1 ball in golf".

Cutting into the Pro V share is a lot different than Pro V killer. I don't doubt that the MP would do really well. I would be surprised to see it dominate sales though.

When the Pro V first came out, it was by far the best ball out there. Now because of speed limits and what not, all tour balls are pretty well even, in terms of performance. But for some reason, Titleist is still the biggest seller. My guess is, most people think $50 for a box of golf balls is a lot of money, so if someone is going to drop 50 bucks they want to buy what they know is a solid, high end offering. I know it's hard for me to experiment with a new ball at that price.

I didn't mean to strike a nerve or be a Titleist fanboy. I started the thread because I would love to try a Mizzuno ball. I picture it in my mind as feeling like a balata because Mizzy is all about feel. I just wanted to know if anyone had hit one...not start a brand war.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I bet those go faaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, and spin off the planet.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
You don't even have to hit them. Just pull one out of the box, address it with a Niblick hybrid chipping iron, and it launches itself into the hole. No practice necessary! In fact, Rory is working on a deal with them now.

Gaijin_Golfer

Feb 5, 2013
Columbus, OH
Country
Maybe but it's not like they wouldn't be able to bring a ball to the market when they are already in that market.
Not saying they CANT but they arent going to because of how much it would cost them to market the ball and make enough money off of it to make sense from a business standpoint. You have to sell it to the bean counters and with Mizuno's limited resources (as compared to Nike and TM), they simply arent willing to take the risk.
I mean, look at Mizuno's woods, hybrids and wedges: great sticks and as good as anything else out there but people cant seem to wrap their minds around the notion of Mizuno being anything but an iron company.
After the Bettinardi debacle, Mizuno is very careful about new ventures.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Unless you've got some inside info, Gaijin, I find it hard to believe that a company of Mizuno's size couldn't market a ball to the US. Look at how many sports they're already involved with besides golf. Granted they're not as large in golf as TM, and not as large overall as Nike, but it's not like they're a mom and pop shop either.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
My question is this. If it isn't going to be available in the U.S. why is there a picture of a sleeve of MP balls on the MizunoUSA website?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Not saying they CANT but they arent going to because of how much it would cost them to market the ball and make enough money off of it to make sense from a business standpoint. You have to sell it to the bean counters and with Mizuno's limited resources (as compared to Nike and TM), they simply arent willing to take the risk.
I mean, look at Mizuno's woods, hybrids and wedges: great sticks and as good as anything else out there but people cant seem to wrap their minds around the notion of Mizuno being anything but an iron company.
After the Bettinardi debacle, Mizuno is very careful about new ventures.
Their woods and hybrids don't sell because they suck. Even their own staff players play something else.

Mizuno's problem isn't lack of funding for their marketing department. It's that their irons are so good that they can't even live up to their own standard with other lines (woods,hybrids).

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Mizuno made a line of golf balls years ago that were not released in the USA...I ended up getting a sleeve of them...hit one and saved the other two....same thing with the old Ping golf balls...limited run, now collectors items.

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
I don't see that...
I don't see it now either. I know I saw a pic of a sleeve or them next to Luke Donald while I was checking out their site waiting for my new mizzys to be delivered. Maybe I'm losing it in my old age. I saw the pic before the thread or mark cross fields review and I searched for them.

Gaijin_Golfer

Feb 5, 2013
Columbus, OH
Country
Their woods and hybrids don't sell because they suck. Even their own staff players play something else.

Mizuno's problem isn't lack of funding for their marketing department. It's that their irons are so good that they can't even live up to their own standard with other lines (woods,hybrids).
You clearly havent tried a Mizuno wood/hybrid lately. Also, your claim that their staffers dont play their woods/hybrids is just false. Luke Donald games a Mizzy hybrid and Stacy Lewis games a full set of Mizzy woods and hybrids. Try again. ;)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.