• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Mmmm....shark

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Went fishing this weekend and one of the fish I boated was a nice little 3-foot lemon shark. I hadn't had shark in a while so I kept this one and ate it for dinner tonight. I tell you what, if you like fish, and you've never eaten shark...well, let's just say it's MIGHTY tasty.

You have to clean it properly and ice it immediately after catching it, but if you do it right there's not many better tasting fish in the sea - and I love to eat all kinds.

Too bad we've screwed it up with all the mercury in the water. You don't want to eat a high-level predator like a shark more than once a year, although I imagine a small one like the one I caught wouldn't be too bad.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
For the full affect one needs to read your post while humming the tune to Jaws...

I don't know if I've ever had shark. You'd think I'd remember if I had though.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Awesome, and if you die can I have your clubs?

Also post pics of cooking.

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Awesome, and if you die can I have your clubs?

Also post pics of cooking.

The mercury might just make me crazy enough to say yes.

I'll post a pic of the next shark steak I grill (might be tonight)

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
Eracer, what do you usually fish for over in Tampa? When I lived in Ft Myers I used to do a lot of snook fishing. I haven't done much fishing in a while but I am planning to do some in a few weeks while I am on vacation.

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I love snook fishing as much as anything. But we mostly go out bottom fishing. Next year we do plan to target the tarpon run, having missed a great season this year. Problem with inshore fishing is you've got to do it a lot to get good at it, and frankly, I'd rather golf. My buddy won't pick it up, despite having taken a few lessons. Guess he's got to justify the $70K he spent on the boat...:laugh:

Snook, redfish, tarpon - all are great fun. Grouper and snapper are easier to catch when you don't fish a lot.

The shark we caught was just a lucky pickup while we were targeting snapper.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Eracer, tell me you don't miss all those tasty freshwater perch, walleye, bass, Crappie and panfish in Wisconsin... :D

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Eracer, tell me you don't miss all those tasty freshwater perch, walleye, bass, Crappie and panfish in Wisconsin... :D

Florida is the bass capital of the world, but I never liked it much, and we have plenty of crappie and panfish here in Florida.

On the other hand - friday fish fry, all you can eat perch, pike and/or walleye (especially walleye - of course), with a couple of tall draft Hacker-Schorr Weisbiers. Oh man, I sorely miss that.

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
Snook, Reds and Tarpon are some of my favorite also. I almost exclusively use artificials or fly though.

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Snook, Reds and Tarpon are some of my favorite also. I almost exclusively use artificials or fly though.

I would love to be more of a flats fisherman, but it requires some dedication to get good at it, and I've always been more of a part-timer. Never tried sight-casting a fly to anything, but it sounds like great fun.

I've got a 50lb trolling rig, a couple of 40lb boat rigs, a 30lb snapper rig, a 20lb spinning rig, a few light salt-water spinners for trout, reds, and snook, a bunch of baitcasters, and a tackle box full of all kinds of gear. So I'm pretty good to go if anyone says, "Hey, you want to go fish for ????"

Unless it's flyfishing or really big offshore stuff. I caught a small Marlin on my 50lb rig once, but I wouldn't want to latch onto anything much bigger.

I think I would fish more if I had a nice flats boats and had somebody to teach me something about it. Offshore trips are easy fishing, but the prep will kill ya'...

All in all, I'd rather be golfing.

🔥 Latest posts