• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

MOI Swingweight help

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Ok, I am seriously trying to setup my new shafts and clubs to go on the MOI swingweight bandwagon. I decided to do everything myself since I have spent so much money on clubs. I already have my shafts coming in this week and i am pretty confident that I can build them myself, I just want to make sure I can get the swingweights down.

I bought TT Black Golds in X flex along with a 2 iron shaft and two additional wedge shafts. I want to keep my 2 iron at around a D4 - D6, the driver is currently a D6 as well as the 3 wood. 2 iron is a D4 along with 3-pw.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Wood MOI's will most likely be different than iron MOI's. Iron MOI's are easier to do and more practical.

If you have a current set with a favorite iron (8 or above, 7 or above is better) then you can check the SW and the length. To simulate MOI, you just move the lengths up and down in 3/8" increments instead of 1/2". When the clubs get longer, the SW goes down 1/2 point per club. When the clubs get shorter, the SW goes up 1/2 SW point per club.

If you were to MOI to your 2-iron at a D4, when you get to your PW, it'll be D-8 and 3" shorter than your 2-iron. I MOI'd my set to my 2-hybrid, which I love, and most every one of the clubs needed either lead tape, or tungsten powder down the shaft with a cork.

Remember to tip trim per manufacturer's recommendations.

In a SW-matched set, all the irons are basically the same swingweight. In an MOI set, say 2-PW, the PW is the "heaviest" when put on a SW scale and the 2-iron will be the "lightest".

I hope that helps out.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
PM LyleG or see if you can find his post from a few weeks ago that listed the MOI equivilants. I modified my set by one swingweit point from LyleG's post and it appears to have come out alright.

OP
demon

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
PM LyleG or see if you can find his post from a few weeks ago that listed the MOI equivilants. I modified my set by one swingweit point from LyleG's post and it appears to have come out alright.

I was looking for that post but couldnt find it.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Demon,

I am back in town now so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.