• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

MONDAY!!!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
It's supposed to be 60* F. in Wisconsin Monday and I'm going golfing with my big hitting buddy from work. If you ever read my threads (how can you not as much as I'm hogging these forums) you might remember the last time out he "drove" a 340 yard par 4 and ended up 4 feet from the pin. He has the new SMT 455 DB 7* head with the Accuflex Evolution shaft (like R35 has in his HiBore). I won't outhit him but I have a strong feeling I'm going to be alot closer with my new Rapture driver! I AM going to get to play it this year. Whoohoo! :beach3: :prop: :D

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
Brilliant! Remember 'drive for shor' and all that

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
What a blast! It was 63 degrees F today, sunny and no wind to speak of. Wonderful day of golf. We took the afternoon off work and my long driving buddy and I went and played Johnson Park in Racine Wis. See the thread in the pictures forum. This is a course started by SC Johnson who is the deceased head of the Johnson clan who runs Johnson Wax, Johnson and Johnson etc etc. They are based in Racine if no one was aware. Anyway, very nice county course. And I CRUSHED the ball with my new Rapture. The guy I played with is a consistent 300+ hitter and usually leaves me far 40 yards behind in the fairway. Not today. I was no farther back then 10 yards and mine were all in the fairway, 1/2 of his were not. I played even on a couple. The actual response of the Rapture on the course is IDENTICAL to what the launch monitor in the store said. Consistently carried 260-280 and I rolled some out to 300. I had shorter irons to the greens (which I am much better at then long irons) and I was getting pars instead of bogeys and bogeys instead of double bogeys. My short game was working to perfection and the putting was right on (made a couple 20 footers). I had the last par 5 where my second shot was at my 3-iron distance and I dub those. My buddy let me try his hybrid and bingo!! "Just" short. Chip on the green in three and two putt for par. Well, I didn't exactly smoke a great score but shot a 42 and considering the few dubbed long irons I had today not bad. Perfect way to end the season. Clubs are put away for the winter now. I have some good things to look forward to next year. Oh, and if you see hybrids in my signature (and a 2-ball putter) I haven't got those yet. After X-mas I will.
Bring on 2007!!!

:)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Good end to the season. Mine never ends.
icon10.gif
I was playing with a guy who had a G2 today. I was amazed at how far he was crushing them. Only like a 3/4 swing too. He was like almost 50 too. My ego was crushed.. till we got the long par 3's and he hit 5Woods and I hit 5 and 6irons.

zenkar

Jul 30, 2006
im in new jersey and today was 60-64 degrees but tomorrow is 70 degree high!! i work night shift... 4-12pm and i can get 18 holes in and head to work :)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Nice, glad to hear the Rapture was everything you expected.

I'm hitting the links tomorrow morning, now that I can play at 7 again since the time change.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Good end to the season. Mine never ends.
icon10.gif
I was playing with a guy who had a G2 today. I was amazed at how far he was crushing them. Only like a 3/4 swing too. He was like almost 50 too. My ego was crushed.. till we got the long par 3's and he hit 5Woods and I hit 5 and 6irons.

ezra76

There are advantages to getting old. When you're young you have to take a full swing or get ridiculed by your partners. When you're old you can take a 3/4 swing (I do also) and no one says a word. The pro even says I have a nice swing. When you take that 3/4 backswing you can now make almost perfect contact drive after drive. And I still get 105 mph ss. My carry is 260-280.

Sometime, for the heck of it, try a short backswing on your driver and see how far you hit it. Good ball contact has a tremendous influence on the length of the drives. More so then club head speed.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
There are advantages to getting old. When you're young you have to take a full swing or get ridiculed by your partners. When you're old you can take a 3/4 swing (I do also) and no one says a word. The pro even says I have a nice swing. When you take that 3/4 backswing you can now make almost perfect contact drive after drive. And I still get 105 mph ss. My carry is 260-280.

Sometime, for the heck of it, try a short backswing on your driver and see how far you hit it. Good ball contact has a tremendous influence on the length of the drives. More so then club head speed.

The only time you see me take a full backswing with my irons is when the rough is over 8" thick. Which does happens at spots here.

Anyway, it's almost always 3/4, most control with minimal distance lost. The amount of control you gain far outweighs the distance loss.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
WBL,

you live close to Lake County in Illinois? they have some really nice links style courses at reasonable fees.

http://www.golfable.com/golfcourses/...Lake_County_IL

atlgolfer

Not far. Wouldn't know which to try though. I'll check some out.

JEFF4i

I know what you mean. I see alot of pros take short backswings with their irons and very easy looking swings.

JoshinWA

Aug 31, 2006
This thread makes me wanna buy a Ping.

Makes me wanna swing 3/4... Actually, when I went to the range the other day I focused on a nice, compact backswing and focus on releasing post impact, and was hitting as far if not farther, very slight fade or straight on almost every shot. Will have to work some more, but looks like a winner...

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
Makes me wanna swing 3/4... Actually, when I went to the range the other day I focused on a nice, compact backswing and focus on releasing post impact, and was hitting as far if not farther, very slight fade or straight on almost every shot. Will have to work some more, but looks like a winner...

3/4 is my usual swing. I can't full swing without getting handsy.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.