• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Moral dilemma?

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
OK dudes, some advice please.

I was trawling eBay and came across a rather unusual one. I am after a Sq Tour driver and the one I ended up bidding on had very little information on it. I had to send several emails and finally found out that it was what I was after.

So I won the auction and in the subsequent exchange it transpired that it was a lady selling it who knew absolutely nothing about golf. She then went onto say that she had a load of other Nike clubs available.

I finally was able to make phone contact with her and found out that she has just split with her partner, who had acquired a load of Nike stock in a liquidation sale. She is now looking to offload these clubs (must have finished badly) and doesn't really want the hastle selling them on eBay.

So I have the chance to acquire about 9 brand new nike clubs (fairways, hybrids etc.) for not much money. I figure I could resell them on eBay and make a few quid on it.

But, the question is:

1. Do I need this hastle, is it worth it? After all at best I am only going to make a few quid off this.
2. Am I taking advantage of this poor women?
3. What is the sellibility of the following Nike clubs:

sq 3 15
cpr 3 21
slingshot 2 18
sq 460 10 5
slingshot oss
cpr 3 22
slingshot 3 20
slingshot tour

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
IG:

While I know nothing of their resale value - if you can make some money - I would do it without hesitation. She probably meant it when she said she did not want to take the trouble of selling them.

If you can value them, go for it!

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
I agree

with Olsen Johnson about Gabby Johnson being right, thats is the exact situation I got my Callaway Big Bertha Cart bag from. The gal had split with her Ex, she sold it to me for 20 bucks, I could turn it around for at least 140-150, of course I want the thing, but if I came across the same deal I would do it again. Then resell the next bag.

Additionally if you do buy them, and feel like kicking me a real good deal on that Squatch driver, lets talk.

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
Just remember guys... if you split with your significant other, make sure to take your golf clubs with you!. :D

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
David B said:
Just remember guys... if you split with your significant other, make sure to take your golf clubs with you!. :D

Sounds like a good deal to me.

Most Certainly.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If you don't buy them someone else will. Now the other issue is trying to make money off them. I have bought and sold stuff on ebay and made a very minor profit. It isn't really worth the trouble. You have to take the shipping costs buying and selling into consideration as well as the ebay fees and paypal fees. I bought a club for $49 and sold it for $61. After considering all of the above I made out with about $1.50. Still higher than Walmarts net per sale. :) Now I just have to to it 1.74 billion times.

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
David B said:

LOL about 23 years ago split from the first wife. I took the MG midget and headed for chicago from Arizona. Cant fit too many clothes and tools in a MG. But I did take the clubs :). About two months later when trying to get the rest of my stuff all my rifles and shotguns suddenly were "stolen" . At least I got the clubs.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
What's her number?
I'd like to give her a call and see if I can explain your dilemma to her.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Please send any of that stock to my house. I can end this "dilemma".

R35

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
Sorry to be a small fly in the ointment, but just last week I heard that Nike clubs are the most commonly copied clubs about at the mo'. Check them out thoroughly if you can, if not I'm sure you could still pass them off as genuine even if they weren't (but that's just if you are the type of person that would do that sort of thing).

Personally I didn't know that this market existed, copies of Levis, other clothing etc is rife, but golf clubs??

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
EnglishGolfer said:
Sorry to be a small fly in the ointment, but just last week I heard that Nike clubs are the most commonly copied clubs about at the mo'. Check them out thoroughly if you can, if not I'm sure you could still pass them off as genuine even if they weren't (but that's just if you are the type of person that would do that sort of thing).

Personally I didn't know that this market existed, copies of Levis, other clothing etc is rife, but golf clubs??

Cheers EG. Thanks for the heads up.

The problem is that I don't think this lady knows the difference. Her ex bought them in a liquidation sale (about 9 items in total) and I assume he knew what he was doing. The driver I bought has a Graff Prolaunch shaft in it. That's a tall order to copy that, so I assume the rest is OK. But a good point nonetheless, worth considering.....

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Howya IG .... great to see that yer keepin up with me in the ho'd driver stakes. Personally speakin I'd leave the other clubs alone, and be thankful for the good deal you got on the SQ. All the hassle with customs and sales tax - then the ebay lot lookin for their 10%. From a sellers point of view, I've found that there is a better return on items bought cheaply and sold on for maybe a 20% profit - shirts, sweaters etc.

Golfwise - played Balbriggan on Saturday - long story short - stood on #16, +2 - 132 yards uphill 9 iron OB, #17 Drove OB - birdied #18 for 37 points off 6 (Society H/C) nett 77 - won a tour umbrella for my troubles - it was the only thing I took out of ma bag yesterday as I walked off the 1st b4 hitting a ball - jaysus that's some sh*te weather out there !!

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Ireland said:
Howya IG .... great to see that yer keepin up with me in the ho'd driver stakes. Personally speakin I'd leave the other clubs alone, and be thankful for the good deal you got on the SQ. All the hassle with customs and sales tax - then the ebay lot lookin for their 10%. From a sellers point of view, I've found that there is a better return on items bought cheaply and sold on for maybe a 20% profit - shirts, sweaters etc.

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking that while I could flog some of the suff, I would be left holding onto some of those hybrids or selling them for next to nothing.

Dave Ireland said:
Golfwise - played Balbriggan on Saturday - long story short - stood on #16, +2 - 132 yards uphill 9 iron OB, #17 Drove OB - birdied #18 for 37 points off 6 (Society H/C) nett 77 - won a tour umbrella for my troubles - it was the only thing I took out of ma bag yesterday as I walked off the 1st b4 hitting a ball - jaysus that's some sh*te weather out there !!

Poor finish Bagger Dave, or are you saving yourself for a better prize?
Yeah, missed getting a game altogether this weekend. Funeral and mince weather combined. Poor show.

The guys down in Carlton House seem to be struggling. Clarke is doing his best to throw it away (comme toujours!!!!).

Staff online

Members online