• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

more help - shaft stiffness

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Thanks for the help on the irons (other thread). So I am thinking that my game has gotten considerably shorter in the last two years. used to be an 8I from 150 out, now so old and sore its a 7I and not too surprised if I come up short even then. time to drop from a stiff to reg shaft?

out in the sticks here, at least 90mi to to a swing analizer, and being a lefty always a pain to find anything ever.

stiff or reg?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Depends on the shaft. I'd say if you are going with an Dynamic Gold then an R might be better. I've had a few clubs with an R300 and it's not all that drastic a difference. Rifles seemed stiffer to me and a 6.0 was too stiff for me, I got through the ball better with an X100 than I did with Rifle 6.0. So with Rifle, from my experience, 5.0 would "regular".

The shafts that I would recommend looking into would be the Dynalite or Nippons. They will be lighter yet still very stable. You'd probably pick a few yards back up. My boss bought a new set of MX-25's after hitting his son's set very well that had X100's in it. He was fitted for the Dynalite regular and hits them well. He is about 1 to 1 1/2 clubs behind me with iron distance so 7 is his 150club.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Depends on the shaft. I'd say if you are going with an Dynamic Gold then an R might be better. I've had a few clubs with an R300 and it's not all that drastic a difference. Rifles seemed stiffer to me and a 6.0 was too stiff for me, I got through the ball better with an X100 than I did with Rifle 6.0. So with Rifle, from my experience, 5.0 would "regular".

The shafts that I would recommend looking into would be the Dynalite or Nippons. They will be lighter yet still very stable. You'd probably pick a few yards back up. My boss bought a new set of MX-25's after hitting his son's set very well that had X100's in it. He was fitted for the Dynalite regular and hits them well. He is about 1 to 1 1/2 clubs behind me with iron distance so 7 is his 150club.
+1 on the both shafts. I picked up 15 yards going from Dynamic Gold S300's, to Dynalite Gold R-flex. I tried the Dynamic Gold R300's and didn't like them. but the Dynalites were great - plenty stable. For a moderate swing speed like ours, the extra launch angle helps.

The Nippons are great shafts, although I only have those in my hybrids. The stiffs I have in the hybrids play to a reg./firm flex. Very, very stable, and plenty of distance. Don't go with reg. flex in the Nippons (NS950). If you can afford the Nippons, then get them, although the Dynalite Golds are pretty close.

🔥 Latest posts