• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

More Newbie Questions

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
1. When calculating a PGA putts per green average, I know that it only counts as a putt if you are on the green. How do you count if you never stop on the green. Does a chip in count as a zero putts for a hole so that it drives your average down?

2. I have never seen any measurements in golf that weren't in feet and yards. Do your European and Asian brethren forego using metric just for golf? When I was watching a European tour event today, the commentators were using yards and feet.

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
1. When calculating a PGA putts per green average, I know that it only counts as a putt if you are on the green. How do you count if you never stop on the green. Does a chip in count as a zero putts for a hole so that it drives your average down?

Putts are only counted on the green. If someone chips in, they do not take any putts on that hole, so if you continually chip in, your putting average will improve (even more reason to practice your short game).

2. I have never seen any measurements in golf that weren't in feet and yards. Do your European and Asian brethren forego using metric just for golf? When I was watching a European tour event today, the commentators were using yards and feet.

I believe Americans are the only ones who measure in feet/yards. All overseas courses I have seen routinely use meters as measurement, but the telecast you were watching was probably on the Golf Channel (an American network) and they would be tailoring it for their American audience.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I believe Americans are the only ones who measure in feet/yards. All overseas courses I have seen routinely use meters as measurement, but the telecast you were watching was probably on the Golf Channel (an American network) and they would be tailoring it for their American audience.

Yup. The commentators are giving us ft/yds but you can see signage in the background with meters. On some of the smaller telecasts where they just do audio over a video feed you will even see on screen displays using meters.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.