• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

More Range Troubles, lol..

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Been goin to the range a bit more lately in an attempt to get my driver goin before golf trip next weekend. And it has come a long ways from where it was most of this year (it killed me this season).

My irons on the other hand have been pretty good. However, at the range these last few times if I pick up an iron...I swear I will shank at least 75-80% of the balls I hit. The type of shank is a weird very harsh slice. Where it just starts right and continues curling that way, very short distance...almost like it went off the toe or the face is wide open at impact, cant figure out which.

Last weekend, some buddies and I went to the range, and this happened every shot with my 7i which i usually love. So i put it away and just worked on my driver. We decided to go golf right after, and my first iron shot on the course was absolutely fine. And all subsequent iron shots were fine too. I mean they werent like throwin darts at the stick, but they were struck well enough to be ok or better.

I know at this point the range thing has to be purely mental, but its not allowing me to work on the damn things at all there because I cant even just hit one. No matter how hard or soft I swing lol. I really don't even know what to try to knock it out of me because it seems like everything I try or w/e I say to myself doesnt work. Whats odd as well is, earlier in the year I could hit my irons real well at the range, but hit nasty duck hooks over and over with the driver. Why can't it all just work at the SAME TIME! lol.

Ever deal with this?!

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
When I get the ****** (can't type the word) I'll hit some 1/2 to 3/4 shots with my feet together. Really helps my tempo.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Are you hitting off grass or mats at the range? Many will hit their irons of mats and expect to duplicate hitting off grass. It is a completely different scenario. To me, it is an entirely different state of mind to be picking your spot on a green and sending the ball at that target than it is smacking Top Rock range rocks at some flag out on a range. Many over swing at a range, assuming they want to see how far they can hit a ball with each club. If you do use your irons at the range, make most of your shots 1/2 to 3/4 swings... getting the feel of making good contact.

My motto has always been... The Good Lord only put so many swings in each of our golfing bodies. I will never waste those swings on a range or with practice swings.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
Try warming up with a 9i and play the ball back in your stance a bit with your hands way forward in front of the ball. Just take 1/4 swings and make sure to really squeeze the ball into the turf. This helps me a ton with my striking.

OP
Hackin_Away

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
I feel ya on that...sometimes I will just do short punches to kinda get that same effect. Just both the things mentioned are things I have tried, lol...it hasn't helped. Anyhow, I ended up golfing this afternoon with my brother....and I hit only 1 awful iron shot. And pretty sure it was more because of a combo of beer and rain LOL! So, its definitely just a mental range thing vs. mechanics.

🔥 Latest posts