• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

More Swing theory..Push Pull?

burlguy

Oct 23, 2006
Being a right hander has anyone had any success with pulling with there left hand and pushing with there right halfway through the swing to get the swing going. Instead of letting go with the wrists and letting it swing free I have been throwing the idea around of the serious mechanical advantage of having the hands close together and pulling one and and pushing with the other while letting the arms come through. Coming over the top brings the toe speed up, What about starting that motion farther with out rotation?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I'd be cautious that this would a lot more easily cause a snap-hook.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I've started using my right to extend right of the target through impact. Like hitting a forehand in tennis. I've also been working the past 4 days on grooving a wider, more outside takeaway and then coming inside on the downswing. It's an OTT fix I read about. I'll be at the range this weekend seeing if there are positive results. Might film the swing again too.

OP
B

burlguy

Oct 23, 2006
The drop into the slot inside move!!! Everyone of my drives that sails has that broad takeaway and that inside swing path back through. Now to just get it all together. I have been looking around the internet and there are countless people that hit 400yds on the fly. Guiness recognized, They all have found a groove and I need to find mine. The latest talk is not about 400yds but rather what will it take to hit 500.

OP
B

burlguy

Oct 23, 2006
I got to go out and hit a few balls at my house. I tried a regular full swing and a moddified wrist action swing. The regular swing flew nice 230 yard easy cold 3 wood. The wrist action ball went almost out of sight and felt effortless. This was without full body turn and wearing a sweater. I only took a couple of full swings before I started hitting. This has to be the secret i have been looking for. I waited till my hands got in front of my right hip and then proceeded to get wristy with it. It took off so quick I had to look for it in dissbelief, and then I saw sailing past the end of my 150 yard range splitting the uprights (pine trees)It was around 60 feet high and sailing well beyond. From the angle and and speed of which it carried I would have to say it was going to carry 280. I have hit plenty of balls that far and this had everything those had. I just pulled with my left side and pushed with my right fore arm. Nothing assisting the forward motion of my arms that where set in motion by uncoiling. I predict a 30% increase in distance when warm.:laugh:

fore142

Oct 22, 2006
i just vision shaking hands with someone behind me, and someone infront of me, and someone behind me, one on the backswing and one on the follow through

solarbear88

Jan 3, 2007
Sounds like an Edwin swing - being a bit of a fan of Aussie PGA player Peter Lonard, I have become a big fan of this swing style. You push out with your right and and use your pivot to close the club for you. If you can work it out, it makes all kinds of compression and can be very accurate. Its worth researching before trying because Gary Edwin teaches a slightly different set up to the norm. Its a great swing because of its combo of accuracy, distance and its small number of moving parts.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I subscribe to the 1 plane --2 plane theory on this one. Once you settle down to one of the two major swing categories the key points of the swing can be addressed. Before I did this I was mixing attributes of both with resulting mixed results. iIwas getting more and more confused and that is not a good thing (negative Martha Stewart quote).

Good luck on this one

OP
B

burlguy

Oct 23, 2006
Iam early enough in the game that I can screw with everybit of my swing and not lose anything. I just want more distance... Super jaw dropping "par four" killing distance. I can drive almost any 300 yard par four with a little roll but I want the 400 yard par fours. The ones out of reach for 99% of golfers. I want to be taking a pitching wedge to the par 5, that is a little much but you all know what I mean. The easiest swings go the farthest, what if I figure out how to rip one using everything? I see a 120lb 5,9 16 year old kid hit 300yds almost everytime I go out. There are tricks for distance and I have been watching him. I saw him hit a 240 yard 2 iron the other day out of the hazard and drop it on the green, Another 4 under day for him. I could barely see the ball the rough was so thick.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Isn't this the "swing the handle" method taught by Ballard?

I tend to do exactly what you're talking about, and if my timing is on it produces great shots. But if not, look out.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I agree that you need to figure out what kind of swing you have first. 1 plane or 2.
I am a classic 2 plane swinger and have been working hard on my swing the last 2 months and have learned a tremendoes deal about my own swing and the 2 plane swing in general. I am also hitting the ball the best I ever have. My club head speed has increased nearly 5 mph and my accuracy has improved. I will share my experience in that you may or may not get something out of it.

With a 2 plane swing you need to be sure you start the club back far enough outside to ensure you have room to drop it into the slot. WHen I saw my swing on video I knew right away where the problem was. By starting the club back to far inside as soon as I begin to rotate my hips the club drops further inside. This forces me to pull my arm into my body to make room for the swing. Kind of like jamming a hitter with an inside pitch. It completely robbed me of power. The worst part was I hit a lot of pushes, push slices and snap hook when I tried to compenstae by flipping my wrists.
The other problem starting the club to far inside can cause is that instead of dropping into the slot at the top you will go OTT because you have no room to drop it inside. We all know what this leads to.
What I have worked on is starting the club outside. The amount outside will vary on how severe your hip turn drops the club on the downswing. Once you find you spot it becomes very easily natural. This will give the club room to drop to the inside, yet keep you full extended giving you power. It will also keep the club head square for a long time through the hitting area.

Hope this helps.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I never "knew" there was a "one plane" or "two plane" golf swing until this year when it's been mentioned in here. I am (and have been) a "one plane" swinger ever since I was taught my basic swing by a friend (college golf team) many years ago. It's nice and simple and doesn't go out of wack too often. (Lessons last summer found my common errors). If I keep my head perfectly motionless (left and right, front and back) and get proper hip rotation and follow through I'm usually okay. :)

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
For a 400 yard drive, you will only need a clubhead speed of 155 mph and a loft of 6*, assuming perfect contact.

For a 500 yard drive, clubhead speed of 220 mph and a 4 degree loft.

Good luck with that, and be sure to post the video.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
To me it sounds like pulling with the left and pushing with the right may cause a few of problems, pulling with the left may cause to much lateralty to the target, and pushing with the right would cause an early hyper extension of the right arm, it may cause a shut face angle and also cause flipping through the release area.

🔥 Latest posts