• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Most challenging hole

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
What is the most challenging hole you have ever played? What makes it challenging? What is the most challenging hole you play regularly?

The ninth hole at my course is just under 400 yards par 4. The tee is level with the fairway, but a deep valley comprises the first 200 yards or so. You can't see the fairway from the tee because the big dip snakes around a pond on the left then a patch of trees and a pond on the right. The green is small, very sloped, and drops away quickly in the back. Both sides of the fairway are lined with dense woods. You have a blind teeshot to a tight fairway, over a pond and trees. If you are long on the approach, you will be OB.

Obviously it's a challenging hole but if you can hit a straight 3 wood, it shouldn't really be that bad. I've found that this hole has some sort of mystical aura that causes bad shots. I've had everything that could possibly go wrong with this hole happen. I've hit tee shots in both ponds, in both woods, into the valley, been over the green countless times. Even on bad rounds, it is a blowup hole for me. On good days, it is nearly always my worst hole.

Do not underestimate the power of your mind! If you think you will do poorly, you will. My difference - I already know I will not score well on this hole...

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
United States United States
Santa Rita Golf Course in Tucson, Az has a 230 yard par 3 with houses along the right and a gully packed with ball eating scrub all the way along the left with bunkers in front of the green. By far the most unfair hole I have ever played.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
7th hole at Skene Valley Country Club. 585 yd par 5, 685 from the tips. OB close on the right, water on left. It's a 3 shot par 5 on a good day and if you walk off the green with a 6 you have done well.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
A local muni course has a easy par 4 on paper...I think it's only 390, dead straight and a decently wide fairway. What makes it hard is OB all down the right hand side. Literally there is about 2 feet of rough, then OB. The left rough is pretty much all trees, large oak trees. The fairway itself might be decently wide, but the area in the air you can hit your ball is very small. The large oak tree's on both side of the fairway come together in the air, effectively shrinking the fairway to a couple yards at best...

Surprisingly , this is the first hole I ever birdied. I hit driver(dumb noob mistake) and got really lucky missing all the tree limbs. I then hit a great iron shot that stopped close and tapped in.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
The 1st tee shot on the final day of a tournament is nerve-racking...but we're talking entire hole so...

The hardest hole I can remember playing was a 210+ par 3. I was playing in a tournament in St. Louis at Tapawingo and had never played the course. I think it was on the Woodland 9. A very elevate green, with severe slopes left and right that fed towards trees and a very deep bunker short. Long was the only miss and that was a difficult up and down because of the slope of the green.

The hardest hole I play regularly is a dead straight par 4 with over hanging trees on both sides of the fairway...requiring a straight shot. I hate to have to hit a straight shot.

May 21, 2012
Goole, England, Great Britain
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
This is my first blog so here goes," most challenging hole". For me it has to be the 9th at Grimsby golf club, England. It always plays into the wind and is a 248 yards par 3, go to far right and if your not in the trees, your O.O.B. Theres plenty of room left, however the greens not over there, and theres tree through the back, the amazing thing is, that its Stroke Index 10, the last three times I have played this hole, I have only managed to get onto the front edge of the green once, and that left a 60 foot putt with a left to right swing. I`ve hit the driver , 2 iron, and 1 Iron at it, you know one harder then I feel sorry for you." Stroke 10", I think someones having a laugh. H/cap 6

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
There is a lot, but i'll choose one. #18 at Petrifying Springs in Kenosha, WI. 437yd par 4, OB trees and cart path on the right and big trees seperating a parallel fairway on left. Dogleg left with a pond on the left that kind of comes in to the fairway a bit and makes the bend of the dogleg. Tee shot is fairly flat, but the second shot is uphill. The way the trees on the left are you have to put it out there pretty good and on the right-ish side of the fairway to have a straight line in, otherwise you need a really reliable draw to hit the green. You'd have to hit it 300+ to hit the water from the tee, but it is possible. The hole really shouldn't be that damn hard, but I may have par'd it once while doubling it or worse almost every other time. I don't think i've ever gotten a GIR there. My mind just doesn't have it in the memory bank on how to play that hole right.

PooN

Jan 23, 2013
waukesha, wi
Country
Fairways of Woodside Hole 15 in Sussex Wi. Par 5 573 yards. It's kind of a double dogleg.
Completely OB on the left, dead on right (OB if too far right) and no way to cut any corners... you have to play a drive to the fairway, then a 5 iron layup, then a wedge into a tucked green.

(The yellow line is 300 yards long from the back teebox for reference)

Funny though, the last 4 rounds I played there I parred the hole.
FW15.jpg

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
Fairways of Woodside Hole 15 in Sussex Wi. Par 5 573 yards. It's kind of a double dogleg.
Completely OB on the left, dead on right (OB if too far right) and no way to cut any corners... you have to play a drive to the fairway, then a 5 iron layup, then a wedge into a tucked green.

(The yellow line is 300 yards long from the back teebox for reference)
View attachment 15224

Funny though, the last 4 rounds I played there I parred the hole.
You from WI?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.