• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Most challenging hole

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Fairways of Woodside Hole 15 in Sussex Wi. Par 5 573 yards. It's kind of a double dogleg.
Completely OB on the left, dead on right (OB if too far right) and no way to cut any corners... you have to play a drive to the fairway, then a 5 iron layup, then a wedge into a tucked green.

(The yellow line is 300 yards long from the back teebox for reference)
View attachment 15224

Funny though, the last 4 rounds I played there I parred the hole.

I played that course 4-5 yrs ago, don't remember a lot about it to be honest.

PooN

Jan 23, 2013
waukesha, wi
Country
I played that course 4-5 yrs ago, don't remember a lot about it to be honest.
Not memorable????? I think it has 3 holes in a row that are more memorable than most other courses (sometimes not in a good way).

Front 9 = Scorable
Back 9 = Brutal! (13, 14, & 15)

#13: Par 5 479 Yards.
Tee shot has water right AND left - 65 yards of land between, 36 yards is fairway. 260 Yards to end of fairway, then 100 yards of OB wetlands. 220 yard approach to a tucked green (left is dead, right of green is findable, but heavy trees.)

#14: Par 4 467 Yards.
Tee shot must carry 185 Yards to clear OB wetlands, 230 Yards to reach fairway. Approach is 180-210 Yards and completely OB Left.
This tee shot LOOKS more intimidating while standing on the teebox with wetlands spanning most of your field of view, tree line completely covering left side, blocking site line of the landing zone fairway.

#15: Par 5 573 yards.
It's kind of a double dogleg. Completely OB on the left, dead on right (OB if too far right) and no way to cut any corners... you have to play a drive to the fairway, then a 5 iron layup, then a wedge into a tucked green.

I've lost many a stroke to these 3 holes, turning a round that could've been high 70's into a high 80's (and a couple in the 90's). If your swing isn't grooved this is easily a back 9 50.
EXTREMELY satisfying on a good day.
FW13.jpg
FW14.jpg
FW15.jpg

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Not memorable????? I think it has 3 holes in a row that are more memorable than most other courses (sometimes not in a good way).
I have played a LOT of courses in the area and aside from Wild Rock really none of the others have stood out all that much. I take that back, Northern Bay is pretty memorable as well with it's replica holes.

PooN

Jan 23, 2013
waukesha, wi
Country
Wild Rock is my favorite WI course as well.
I didn't think Northern Bay was all that and a bag of chips, but I did like the TPC Sawgrass 17 hole just to say I birdied TPC Sawgrass 17... well kind of. :)

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Wild Rock is my favorite WI course as well.
I didn't think Northern Bay was all that and a bag of chips, but I did like the TPC Sawgrass 17 hole just to say I birdied TPC Sawgrass 17... well kind of. :)

Have you seen the Wisconsin shottalk outing thread? Check it out, maybe you can make it.

Members online

No members online now.