• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Most exciting match of my life!!!

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Played with my son tonight. He is one month shy of his 10th birthday. For the first time ever he gave me a real run for my money. The way we play is I play the tips, he plays the par 3s from the front tees, par 4s from between 150 to 185 yards and par 5s from 325.

I got off to a rough start and shot a 43 on the front nine. Jr. started to find a groove and shot a 45 on the front.

After nine I held a 2 stroke lead. For the next five holes he matched me shot for shot. On the 15th hole a par five I found trouble off the tee and ended up making bogey. Jr. teed off from 325 yards and reached the green in regulation and drained a 25 foot putt for birdie and a 2-shot swing to tie the match.

On 16 I parred to Jr.'s bogey. On 17 I three-putted for bogey and Jr lipped ut a birdie putt and tapped in for par.

After 17 holes we were tied. Unfortunately Jr had a blow up hole on the 18th for a tripple and I made par.

On the back nine I shot a 38 and Jr ended up shooting a 39.

Jr shot an 84 to my 81 today at nine years old and gave me a real run for my money. It was a great day.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
Wonder what would have happened if he had coughed during your backswing?:D

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008

afarm1.static.flickr.com_143_342737690_66dabf4adf.jpg

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Good for your son. My twelve year old daughter, who up until Saturday had only broken 100 once with a 99, shot 90 on Saturday and 93 today. She's playing from 5,250+- yards. Seeing her play so well was fantastic, and I'm sure you felt the same.

Kevin

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005

Next thing you know, he'll be jingling coins in his pocket while crowding your line as you're trying to read a putt.

Seriously though, you must be thrilled to have a kid that you can do soemthing this fun with. Most kids these days are addicted to video games.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Next thing you know, he'll be jingling coins in his pocket while crowding your line as you're trying to read a putt.

And then Fisher will be storming off the course & his kid will have to hitch a ride home.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
And then Fisher will be storming off the course & his kid will have to hitch a ride home.

Now, now, I wasn't setting this up for you to slam on fisher. I was just figuring the kid would take after Tiger. :prop:

and fisher.....do not take me seriously. I wish I had a kid to take golfing. The closest I have ever come is when I "adopted" Sandpiper3 for the brief time he lived nearby.

scgamecock

Feb 5, 2009
Played with my son tonight. He is one month shy of his 10th birthday. For the first time ever he gave me a real run for my money. The way we play is I play the tips, he plays the par 3s from the front tees, par 4s from between 150 to 185 yards and par 5s from 325.

I got off to a rough start and shot a 43 on the front nine. Jr. started to find a groove and shot a 45 on the front.

After nine I held a 2 stroke lead. For the next five holes he matched me shot for shot. On the 15th hole a par five I found trouble off the tee and ended up making bogey. Jr. teed off from 325 yards and reached the green in regulation and drained a 25 foot putt for birdie and a 2-shot swing to tie the match.

On 16 I parred to Jr.'s bogey. On 17 I three-putted for bogey and Jr lipped ut a birdie putt and tapped in for par.

After 17 holes we were tied. Unfortunately Jr had a blow up hole on the 18th for a tripple and I made par.

On the back nine I shot a 38 and Jr ended up shooting a 39.

Jr shot an 84 to my 81 today at nine years old and gave me a real run for my money. It was a great day.

awww.kraproom.com_pacman_aod_gallery_d_8776_1_SuperCoolStoryBro.png

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
That is cool. My son (7) is the type that if I suggest it, he don't want to do it. I don't pressure him at all on what to like, I just provide the opportunities for him to try things. He has tried golf, but wears thin real quick. I bought him a Jr. set so it's there for him whenever he feels like giving it another try. He tends to get discouraged real quick with golf.... go figure.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Good story Fisher, I'm looking forward to similar matches with my boys.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Neat story Fisher. I really like how you even the holes up for him, great idea.

🔥 Latest posts