• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Most hoakey golf club/traner/aid?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Most hoakey golf trainer/aid?

I was just reading some other posts about golf aids. There seems to be alot of them out there, of course.

Anyone have an personal favorites of the most grotesque, mundane or purely stupid?

Multiple entries as "your favorites" are encouraged. :D

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
When I first read the title I was thinking hoakey "golf club" as in "golf course".

I'm pretty sure I played at the hoakiest golf course in the world on Wed. One of the guys in our regular group was given four certificates to play free at this course. I had heard they had redone the place but it was just a rumor.

The fairways were dead which was expected, but the greens were like concrete. When I stepped on the first one I noticed my spikes didn't go in at all. It was 70 degrees that day so it's not as if they were frozen. They looked like sculptured carpet. Remember that stuff. On the second or third green it hit me what they had done. They had painted the dead grass green. There were little patches of weeds growing in places and the rest was paint.

After each putt you got to watch your ball bounce across the sculptured concrete carpet toward, (and usually past) the hole. It was a record day for me in one sense. I had seven three putts. :wow: We also had a four and five putt in the group.

We had to keep reminding ourselves that we were playing for free. It's safe to say we got exactly what we paid for. :(

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Dave, the next time you want a round similar to that, you can play in my basement. We have sculpted carpet down there! ;)

As for the aids, the ones i've used that show zero help to my golf game:

Velocitees
Brush Tees
Cryo-balls (balls that have been cryogenically frozen, supposedly longer....ya, deeper into the bush maybe)

I remember John Daly promoting a Power Belt or Power Jacket some time back. It looked hilarious. I think I remember Roscoe stating that he wanted to get one and wear it 24/7 to "have the power all the time".

That guy was hilarious when he wasn't a dick. But i digress....

R35

PS....Dave, I made the appropriate changes for you ;)

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Oh yeah, this is about swing aids.

Worst one was the Electronic Swing Groover. It looked great and was suppose to give an accurate read out of distance and direction. You can even hit it with your own clubs.

No matter what club I used or how hard my swing was it registered 135 to 140 yds. Want to feel good about your driver, try that. :D

Rock, how's it going with the indoor net?

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Awesome. I'm just working on ball striking right now. I think my swing was grooved pretty well this summer from practice that my body just remembers it's proper path.

Thing is, i'm hitting off a tee. Just low irons like 8's and 7's, but i'm not sure if I should go into the "scoring clubs" too much without taking a divot. I just gotta pelt to be successful.

Other than that, it's outstanding. There might be a delay getting it into the backyard in the spring tho. There's gotta be close to 5 feet of snow over the entire backyard right now.....

R35

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
5' of snow! :wow: It is a very good thing that you have a basement for the net.

Our local tv weather shows temperatures from all over the country as well as Canada. Is it really -20 up there? Don't know how you do it, seriously.

I took a year off from college after my sophomore year and spent a season working and skiing in Colorado. I think the coldest it ever got was -5 and my car wouldn't start, (I'm sure it didn't help that it was English, remember MGs).
I still remember how cold I was hitch hiking to work that day.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
If it was -5 today, I wouldn't be wearing a jacket!

This morning it was -35*F, -44 with the windchill. It didn't feel that bad though, without any wind.

I guess you get used to it.

It friggin sucks tho! ;)

R35

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
I hear you Rock this cold wether thing sucks, it was -50 the other day with the wind. And the snow my god, if this keeps up We won't be golfing here till well into may I'd expect.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Snow blizzard yesterday. It's settling now, but I agree, no golf until end of may.
Where you at Mahalle?

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
Loop said:
Snow blizzard yesterday. It's settling now, but I agree, no golf until end of may.
Where you at Mahalle?

Good old Manitoba, in Brandon at the moment but soon to be back in Winnipeg.
Yourself????

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
We got 14" of snow in one day last week. Terrible time for the snowblower to die.

Today isn't bad. -22ish. No wind tho. But this weekend it's supposed to be the shits again (at least in Regina it is).

R35

MAHALLEDAY

Mikey Dangerous
Nov 29, 2004
Yeah soudns like here on teh 30th we got a ton of snow, I was supposed to go snoborading that day, but all the roads were closed for like 3 days. So i missed all the good powder.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Wow! 3 canucks on the board already!
I'm in Montreal. Rock and I are set to go to Vancouver or Victoria. Want to join us for golf all year long?
:D

/me looks at lottery ticket...
/me disappointed :(

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
rockford35 said:
If it was -5 today, I wouldn't be wearing a jacket!

This morning it was -35*F, -44 with the windchill. It didn't feel that bad though, without any wind.

I guess you get used to it.

It friggin sucks tho! ;)

R35

OK, just so I don't look too wimpy, that -5 was fahrenheit or about -20 to you foreigners. :p

Rock, if that's still not jacket weather, well then I'm impressed. In comparison we are suppose to be back up to the low 70s this weekend so I'm breaking out the shorts. :D

🔥 Latest posts