• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Most Important Clubs

What Club(s) are the most important

• Driver

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Fairway Woods/Hybrids

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Irons

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Wedges

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Putter

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i'm about to get some clubs, having trouble deciding what to do get, irons or fairway woods

just wanted to know ppl's thoughts

lameshooter

Eagle is my middle name.
Apr 13, 2005
you need to have a putter that your comfortable with and that you can put em close or in from anywhere on the green, i was golfin with my cousin the other day for the first time and he would only drive about 150-180, his fairway wood shots would be 150, and his top iron shot was around 150, but his chipping and putting were phenomenal, he could hit any putt inside 10 ft. and he could usually get his chip within 10 ft.. you need to be comfortable with your putter.. cuz thats where your strokes add up is around the green.

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
wedges are my choice, there's a reason i have been through a dozen or more drivers, just as many fairway woods and hybrids, at least 8 sets of irons, 15+ putters, but only 2 wedge sets. Once you get familiar with a wedge, you can start taking the money out of opponent's pockets around the greens. You can make a 6-inch putt with any putter, it's when you're not doing well with the wedges that you have to start draining the long bombs

sidvicious

Jul 8, 2005
you can discount this comment based on the fact that i'm a new golfer, but you asked the question and i happen to be surfing tonight.

all of the clubs are important. being a lousy beginning golfer, however, may give a bit of perspective that other players overlook.

certainly the short game is a priority, so wedges and the putts have to rank near the top, if not the top. but there's a shot that people overlook.

the second shot, after the drive, particularly on par 4s and 5s.

this is where i, being a beginner, have made shots that result in birdies, or an occasional chip for an eagle. this shot is also where i've seen most other good players screw the hole. they'll pound the drive, and be a wizard with wedges and putts, but, heaven forbid they grab a fairway wood or long iron.

i'm learining my game from the green, backwards. that is, putts, wedges, and so forth, back to the driver.

for my second [par 4 and 5] shot clubs, i've bought the perfect club 21 and 24 degree. they work great. i can nail the 21 as far as many guys drive the ball. in fact, i use it when my driving sucks, which is most of the time.

the point is, the second shot, ofter after a disasterous drive, is the one that keeps you in the hole. i'm not a good golfer but i'm a damn good observer. find something that you can hit from the fairway consistantly straight, at least 180 to 200 yards. i chose the perfect club. the seasoned players laugh at me until i hit the ball. i'm planning on testing nike's version of the same thing, called the nike cpr wood [not the hybrid, or rescue].

the better your drives get, the less you'll need such a shot on par 4s most likely. however, you gotta be prepared to recover from bad shots. too, you'll need it on the par 5 for sure.

for an average to great wedge player, the second shot is where the most improvement will be seen on the score cards.

but what the hell do i know?

cheers,

sv-

sidvicious

Jul 8, 2005
i would also add that i have much more money than talent.

with that said, i've tried a lot of the hot new hybrid clubs. i bought a 20 degree. frankly, i don't see any use for the damn thing. its funny. at the beginning of the spring i saw a lot of guys hitting them [poorly, most of the time]. as the summer progressed, i saw more traditional woods and irons.

am i alone here? do you guys use the hybrids? if so, for what and how often?

i've been in such shitty positions so often that i've used the whole damn bag, and i see absolutely nothing remarkable in a hybrid's ability to "rescue" one at all.

of course, i could be wrong - they look so cool!

sv-

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Well sv, I use a 20 and a 23 instead of a 3 and 4 iron.

For me, they work phenomenally well in all sorts of situations and I've seen more than a few seasoned golfers switch to a hybrid of one sort or another by now. I hit my 20* about 220 off the tee and my 23* about 200-210. I also hit them much straighter than I would a similarly lofted long iron (and much straighter than my driver), so I've taken to using them off the tee a lot more than other clubs. I use them off the tee, off the fairway for similar distances, use them for punch shots, rolling chips, and general malarchy.

And YG...it's an impossible question to answer, for the most part. They're all important. If you're driving it OB or into the shit all day, then the driver's the most important because it's where you're losing most of your strokes. If you're hitting 14 fairways but can't hit your irons or wedges to save your life, then those are more important. If you're hitting 18 GIR but 4 putting everything...I think you know where I'm going with this.

I'd have to say that short game clubs - whatever that may mean to you (as it's not always wedges and putters - see my hybrid chipping comment above) will what will shave the most strokes. I think that I came up with that based on watching the pros this weekend in person at the Bell Canadian Open. Aside from when Gronberg skulled one over the green on 14 and subsequently shanked his next shot 20 yards back into the fairway, those guys were money at getting it close.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Actually, I'll think I'll add to that. Irons are the most important. I say this because you can play a round using only your irons and your putter, but if you lose confidence with them, you're pooched. I'd like to see you drive and putt all day and ignore your irons totally.

I vote irons.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
nsherman2006 said:
wedges are my choice, there's a reason i have been through a dozen or more drivers, just as many fairway woods and hybrids, at least 8 sets of irons, 15+ putters, but only 2 wedge sets. Once you get familiar with a wedge, you can start taking the money out of opponent's pockets around the greens. You can make a 6-inch putt with any putter, it's when you're not doing well with the wedges that you have to start draining the long bombs

I have to agree with my Ho on this one...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
It's all about the flatstick. Regulation golf sees half the game played with a putter. Beat 36 putts per round and you will be scoring. Beat 30 putts and you will have a great score.

Drive for show and putt for doagh.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I think the most important clubs are the driver, wedges and putter.

If you have a driver that can help you get it in the fairway - it is a very meaningful advantage.

Wedges help get it close and the putter is obvious.

Sidvicious, I think the longer you play and the more skills you acquire - you will start to like hybrid clubs. I have one and use it in many different types of situations, from fairway, round and for greenside bump-and-runs.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
IrishGolfer said:
It's all about the flatstick. Regulation golf sees half the game played with a putter. Beat 36 putts per round and you will be scoring. Beat 30 putts and you will have a great score.

Drive for show and putt for doagh.

This is all that needs to be said.

And for those guys that have had 15 putters, you guys suck. Get a putter and stick with it. I bet you sink more putts after suffering through a year of dogshit putting.

Anyone can go out and buy a forgiving driver, swing easy and hit 75% of their fairways with practice. And any Joe can learn to hit their irons to within the 40 feet of either side of the flag on a green. And wedges usually only come into play alot if the latter isn't there.

Get a putter, stick with it and learn it inside and out. The dancefloor is what makes or breaks your rounds.

PERIOD.

R35

OP
Youngun5

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
well, upon thinking about it, the fairway woods are what need the most attention, they are just totally wrong, both my 3 and 5 woods, i've been working out and upped my swing speed and they didn't hold up,

should be getting two cleveland launcher fairway woods here soon

hopefully the 15 and the 19 degree

the irons will be next though after i can round up some more $

🔥 Latest posts