• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Motorcycles, who's got em or had em

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
United States United States
However I'll say this. If I had never hurt my back overseas I would probably enjoy one of those demon fast bikes. But they hurt me way to bad to be able to enjoy riding them for any amount of time.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I'll debate you on that all day long! I rode a sports bike for 1 mile and turned around. I'll ride my Harleys from 8 I'm the morning till 10 at night and have the greatest time ever
Right on. I liked the agility of the sport bike. But no, they're not as comfortable imo. I have very little experience with motorcycles though.

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
Right on. I liked the agility of the sport bike. But no, they're not as comfortable imo. I have very little experience with motorcycles though.
I agree. If it wasn't for my back I'd probably actually like riding one. Feels like riding on top of a concrete mixer with gravel in my drawers as it is.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Meh, I've done a few 600 mile days. Got 25k miles on it so far. Its all about posture and your core. you have to train your body to ride sport bikes. Once you have it, it doesn't hurt anymore.

The biggest thing is supporting yourself with your core and not just slumping over.

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
Meh, I've done a few 600 mile days. Got 25k miles on it so far. Its all about posture and your core. you have to train your body to ride sport bikes. Once you have it, it doesn't hurt anymore.

The biggest thing is supporting yourself with your core and not just slumping over.
I was in a truck hit with an ied, and blown off the side of a mountain it ain't about my core anymore. I get what your saying though, if I had no prior injuries I could probably rock a rocket, but I prefer putting 15k-18k miles a year on my softails and now road glide

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I was in a truck hit with an ied, and blown off the side of a mountain it ain't about my core anymore. I get what your saying though, if I had no prior injuries I could probably rock a rocket, but I prefer putting 15k-18k miles a year on my softails and now road glide
I hear ya, but they're simply excuses. If you can ride a cruiser you can ride a much more capable bike with an upright riding position.

For the same money you could be on one of many sport touring motorcycles available. They turn and stop far better than cruisers.

If you just like the cruisers style and/or the lifestyle, i have no qualms with that. Live and let live bro. But if you ride them because you think they're the only so called comfortable bike, your shorting yourself out of some great bikes.

Im probably moving to a sport touring in a few years.

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
I hear ya, but they're simply excuses. If you can ride a cruiser you can ride a much more capable bike with an upright riding position.

For the same money you could be on one of many sport touring motorcycles available. They turn and stop far better than cruisers.

If you just like the cruisers style and/or the lifestyle, i have no qualms with that. Live and let live bro. But if you ride them because you think they're the only so called comfortable bike, your shorting yourself out of some great bikes.

Im probably moving to a sport touring in a few years.
I think this is a failure of communicating on my part. My last softail was a touring bike. I call a lot of bikes cruisers. Cause I get on them and just cruise :cool:

We're on the same page, just different verbiage.

Last edited:

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
First bike was a 1973 Yamaha RD 350.

Second bike a 1948 Harley Panhead hardtail. that had a springer front end. Original hand shift (1 through 4) and foot clutch. converted to vise versa. You could shift from 1st to fourth without going through 2nd or third. With all that torque 2nd and third was rarely use. Manual spark advance controlled by the left grip and throttle on right.

No electric start. If you did not have the spark retarded when kicking her over that engine would kick back and lift you right off the bike. One time was lesson learned.

Sure would like that Panhead back. Now perhaps an Indian is in future. Polaris is bringing them back. Looks like a reasonable priced cruiser.

OP
dedicatedhacker

dedicatedhacker

Jan 12, 2013
Altus Oklahoma
Country
First bike was a 1973 Yamaha RD 350.

Second bike a 1948 Harley Panhead hardtail. that had a springer front end. Original hand shift (1 through 4) and foot clutch. converted to vise versa. You could shift from 1st to fourth without going through 2nd or third. With all that torque 2nd and third was rarely use. Manual spark advance controlled by the left grip and throttle on right.

No electric start. If you did not have the spark retarded when kicking her over that engine would kick back and lift you right off the bike. One time was lesson learned.

Sure would like that Panhead back. Now perhaps an Indian is in future. Polaris is bringing them back. Looks like a reasonable priced cruiser.
You ain't lying about them kick starts. Watched my buddy go halfway over the handle bars one time ha.

Those Indians do look sharp, guy here in town has one I love the classic look they incorporated into them.

🔥 Latest posts