• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Moveable Weights

Cardog

Jan 19, 2006
I currently have an Taylormade r5 (N) driver and was planning to upgrade to the new r7 460 when they come out. My question is to the people that have a driver with moveable weight technology (whether its a Taylormade or not) how big of a difference do small incremental weights change will change the effect of the club. For an example if it tells me to put a 10gr weight on the toe and a 2gr weight on the heel to promote a 15 yard draw will changing the weight to 4 and 8 grams only promote a 7 yard draw?

Aslo, I was browsing through ebay one day and found a seller selling his own machined weights for the r7 that were heavier than stock and claiming to get an extra 15 - 30 yards on your drives. Is there truth to this or is it a selling gimmick???

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have been playing a Snake Eyes Viper Ti4 for the last several months, and love the flexibility that the weighting provides. To be truthful, I have not really tinkered with setting up the weights for draw or fade bias as I have been searching for a straight drive. I have, however tinkered with the the rear two weights and have gone from 8g weights in the rear ports, to 10 gram weights, and finally to 12g weights. Personally, I like the 12g weights as I like a heavier club head to begin with, and I am hitting the ball farther and straighter with the 12g weights in. So far, I have left the 2g weights in the 2 front weight ports, but I am thinking of changing them out for some 5g weights to see if I notice any difference.

The technology appears to work as advertised.

OP
C

Cardog

Jan 19, 2006
What kind of extra distance were you experiencing 5, 10, 20yrds? Also let me know what kind of difference the front weights make when that time comes.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I have noticed about 10-15 yards gain from the 8g to the 12g. It is probably mostly a product of getting into the ideal swingweight, but the increased weight and MOI should help a bit on distance as well.

OP
C

Cardog

Jan 19, 2006
Thanks ualtim. Anybody else with there experiences??

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
If you're not a good player (read: if you're a hacker), you won't notice a difference in ballflight draw/fade.
And if you're looking for a slice fix, it's certainly not it.
BTW, I wouldn't recommend putting more weight on the clubhead. A heavier swingweight club is harder to swing. That's why they're using graphite shafts for drivers....

OP
C

Cardog

Jan 19, 2006
I think we all understand what you are saying Loop. My goal to this discussion is to see if anybody had some unusual configurations and what were there responses.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
I use the r7 425 TP and have a rather odd set up compared to most people. I have a 14 gram weight in the extreme toe section, a two gram weight in the back right, a four gram weight in the back left and an eight gram weight on the extreme heel, this gives me a total of 16 grams on the toe side and 12 on the heel, so it promotes a low fade which is my preferred shot. The swing weight is still D2 with that setting.

When I want the to bump the swing weight up to a D4 I put a ten gram weight in the extreme heel so the ball tends to be a little straighter and lower. This is great for windy days and when I don't hae to worry about control as much (i.e. links style courses).

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.