• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

MP-R wedge - what do you think of this one?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I doubt someone of your, my, or the vast majority of calibre would notice a ported wedges weight difference.

In my opinion, it's bunk - to guys like us.

Personally, I think that wedge looks terrible with that paint scheme. But this is coming from a guy that plays clubs naked, zero paint fill.

Good deal on an MP-R at $50 tho. They go for around $99 new.

R35

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If it's what you are looking for, maybe. A few things I am a little skeptical about would be how deep those holes are drilled on the toe end. The MP-R doesn't have a whole lot of thickness out there. Another would be the cost/profit of using a Project X wedge shaft that is the correct flex/length and new. These shafts run like $20-$25 a pop. Hopefully it's not some used 5iron shaft just cut down to wedge length. Project X 9.0 anyone?

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I doubt someone of your, my, or the vast majority of calibre would notice a ported wedges weight difference.

In my opinion, it's bunk - to guys like us.

Personally, I think that wedge looks terrible with that paint scheme. But this is coming from a guy that plays clubs naked, zero paint fill.

Good deal on an MP-R at $50 tho. They go for around $99 new.

R35

That is what I was after. I agree that the paint scheme is uh...well...poorly done to be P.C. I can fix that. If I will never notice the ports than I might just pursue this one and pick up some acetone while I am at it!
Do you think it will feel much lighter?

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
If it's what you are looking for, maybe. A few things I am a little skeptical about would be how deep those holes are drilled on the toe end. The MP-R doesn't have a whole lot of thickness out there. Another would be the cost/profit of using a Project X wedge shaft that is the correct flex/length and new. These shafts run like $20-$25 a pop. Hopefully it's not some used 5iron shaft just cut down to wedge length. Project X 9.0 anyone?

Good things to look for, thanks Ez

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
That is what I was after. I agree that the paint scheme is uh...well...poorly done to be P.C. I can fix that. If I will never notice the ports than I might just pursue this one and pick up some acetone while I am at it!
Do you think it will feel much lighter?

I doubt you'd notice. The fact that you can plainly see the paint in the bores screams that it's fairly shallow. If it's too light, just slap some lead tape on the back.

I did that with mine to make them even heavier for touch shots. Gets the ball up in a hurry that way.

R35

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
I doubt you'd notice. The fact that you can plainly see the paint in the bores screams that it's fairly shallow. If it's too light, just slap some lead tape on the back.

I did that with mine to make them even heavier for touch shots. Gets the ball up in a hurry that way.

R35

That is a good idea - I'm becoming a fan of lead tape. Don't get me wrong, I don't have it smothered all over every club in the bag like fine Tabasco sauce on bland food. But when I see lead tape I usually think "Yeah, this guy is in to tinkering to the nth degree - love it". Not to mention it is a quick, inexpensive, flexible, and impermanent trial that is useful on any club.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
That is a good idea - I'm becoming a fan of lead tape. Don't get me wrong, I don't have it smothered all over every club in the bag like fine Tabasco sauce on bland food. But when I see lead tape I usually think "Yeah, this guy is in to tinkering to the nth degree - love it". Not to mention it is a quick, inexpensive, flexible, and impermanent trial that is useful on any club.

Yep. It makes your wedges look like war horses. Like you actually know what's going on.

This is far from the case with my game, however.;)

R35

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
I love the MP-R just spins really well, maybe better than the Titty SM? I love the feel too. Go for it.

🔥 Latest posts