• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

multiple injustices

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
I absolutely would NOT have handed over my phone. I wouldn't have said "blow me," but it might've gotten close. ESPECIALLY if you didn't even take it out. Perhaps you could offer to turn it off for the professor if you value your standing with him/her, but there's no justification for ANY confiscation there.

As for the parking lot thing... WOWZA. You gotta let people have it when you know you're in the right, Mike. Don't even be the "better man" and let something go if you're RIGHT. Be civil, but don't back down. You did nothing wrong in either case. Don't let people punish you for doing nothing wrong. And give them a piece of your mind when they try.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Get used to it, that's life. I get a call in almost everytime I drive through NY. Some dip$hit will call the 1-800 # on the truck and say I cut them off... most of the time, I did.
icon10.gif

My advice, choose your battles. I'm sure your teacher gave the phone back at the end of the class, right? If this a "bad day" for you, enjoy it while it lasts.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Just annoyed because I was definetely not the worst offender in either situation. What's your record for most people cut off in a day, Ezra? :laugh:

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Just annoyed because I was definetely not the worst offender in either situation. What's your record for most people cut off in a day, Ezra? :laugh:

Three I think... but I ran over the last one. Needed to make a wide swing to turn left and had my blinker on for over 100yds.. Guy thought he would pass me on the left... feck it, car was stuck in front of rear tires with the whole front end crushed. I honestly didn't see him till it was too late. No injuries or anything. I was only going like 7-8mph.

I don't really go cutting people off. I do have a bad habit of what I call the "wake up lane change". When some retard is in the middle lane and makes me pass them on the right, when the whole right lane is wide open, I make a point to come back into the middle lane about 20inches off their front bumper. Of course I'm going 10-15mph. faster so they'd never hit me, just a "wake up".

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Students shouldn't be able to have cars, or mobiles on in class, so I have no sympathy. But then again, my mental impression of US students is based on Superbad

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Students shouldn't be able to have cars, or mobiles on in class, so I have no sympathy. But then again, my mental impression of US students is based on Superbad
Yeah, they should take the bus or walk 40 miles like they did in the olden days. :laugh:

Personally I agree with the fact that if someone can't remember to shut their phone down before a class or on a golf course, or anywhere else that you are not expect to be talking on one for that matter, that they don't deserve to have one. I'm actually not sure I blame the teacher, he has better things to do with his time than determine what phone is at the most fault. If you have no intent on using the phone, turn it off entirely and put it in your pocket. If it was in your pocket and he still knew you had one, it was obviously a distraction.

To feel it is injust that he took it away??? The other option is he could simply throw you out of the class, which I am sure is probably well within his rights. I know if I were in a class and phones were making noise the entire time, I would be pissed at the instructor for not doing anything. Does he have a right to take the phone? To argue that point you would likely be risking your education. Which is more important?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I think this whole issue stems from the lack of respect for our comon man. Student lacking respect for his teacher/classmates by not stopping the distraction before it became one. Teacher lacking respect for personal property. He DOES NOT have the right to take personal property, period. The only people that have the right to confiscate personal property are policing officials and even then only if that item was being used in a punishable crime OR if they have reason to believe it was about to be used in the commision of a crime.

Lack of respect for other drivers is a massive problem on todays roadways, especially in larger cities. I think this stems form most peoples thinking that they deserve to get where they want to go more than anyone else on the road. Between that, the lack of true driving skills needed to recieve a license here in the united states, and lack of respect for the amount of power and weight you are piloting at high velocity is probably the cause of most accidents.

twelvegage

live life. love life.
Jan 18, 2008
I agree with the ones that said the teacher shouldn't have taken your phone, but I always put mine on vibrate before going into class, just to avoid those type of situations. In one of my lectures my teacher took a picture with his phone of some sleeping student, it was hilarious. He's also called out, very obscenely, some female students that were having a conversation throughout the entire lecture.

My sister, who also goes to the same university as me, said that she has a professor that immediately throws students out if their phone is as much as out, he also has them take their hats off upon coming into class. =/ Can't say I really disagree, but I dunno, it's not THAT big of a deal IMO.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
The phone was on vibrate. I'm not sure how he heard it.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
In our middle and high schools, it is a school rule that ALL personal electronics are banned (phone, ipod, etc.). This is sent home to every parent at the start of every year.

Personally, I agree with the rule. There is absolutely no reason for any of that stuff during the school day. Not even an emergency requires a cell phone for middle/high schoolers.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
In our middle and high schools, it is a school rule that ALL personal electronics are banned (phone, ipod, etc.). This is sent home to every parent at the start of every year.

Personally, I agree with the rule. There is absolutely no reason for any of that stuff during the school day. Not even an emergency requires a cell phone for middle/high schoolers.

No abacus when you were in high school? That's about as electronic is it got for your time! Ohhhh, your kids, my bad.

Well, I'll give you a reason. My high school's coordination was deplorable, so deplorable that when we had a huge bomb scare(not just one of the little ones, I mean they actually said there was a bomb on campus and it was going to go off, which the squad never said fi there was or wasn't) it was practically a riot. I mean kids everywhere, it was at the end of the school day so some people said to go home, others said to stay there. Essentially it took me a few hours just to find my mom who was going to pick me up for an appointment, many kids missed their busses, and just general havoc. Now no, a cell phone wouldn't have fixed all this, but it would've helped some of it, myself especially. That weekend I got my first phone! With...almost nothing on the plan, Ha!

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Cell phones, pagers, ipods, etc, none of it was in my school. I can remember the 1st class we had a calculator in, my junior year & our science teacher had one, hige assed thing that didn't much besides the basics.

I still don't have a cell phone & survive just fine.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Cell phones, pagers, ipods, etc, none of it was in my school. I can remember the 1st class we had a calculator in, my junior year & our science teacher had one, hige assed thing that didn't much besides the basics.

I still don't have a cell phone & survive just fine.

I don't have a home phone, just the cell. lol.

🔥 Latest posts