• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Music And Golf

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Some related threads have been made, but I'm curious what your guy's take is on music and golf.

My first real sports were baseball and cross country, so music was something my dad taught me for rhythm, tempo, etc.

I find it helps me between shots, gives me something to move with. I don't really think of anything as I hit(quite literally, I usually blank except a couple shot thoughts, let muscle memory do the work), but as said music helps my mind "move" I guess between shots.

Also, if I'm feeling that I'm lacking intensity I get a song in my head that'll get me moving a bit, something like Slipknot or Static X. If I feel I need to calm down, I'll think up some Vivaldi, Rachmaninov(I do apologize for not spelling it as I should), or Barber.

Best rounds have been with HURT and Led in my mind. Its usually rock though, of some sort.

How about you ladies and gentlemen(generously)?

Ahh, the edit for quite possibly one of the best tournament songs for me...Wanted Dead or Alive(Bon Jovi). I don't know why, but this song just rocks.

RCI

Jul 26, 2008
My two obsessive hobbies are ... Golf and Music. I play classical guitar, I practice virtually every day, and I play only baroque, classical and romantic period music. Bach, Vivaldi, Scarlatti... you get the idea. To me, music scores are as beautiful as great courses.

The thing about solo performance is it is very much like golf. You practice, every day is different, and it is an immersion of concentration. You put your creative energy into what you want to hear in your music the same way you visualize shots. The problem is I have played classical guitar and golf for decades, and I can attest... in my case I will never master either one. Maybe that is why the fascination for both has never gone away. This stuff is not easy.

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
The thing about solo performance is it is very much like golf. You practice, every day is different, and it is an immersion of concentration. You put your creative energy into what you want to hear in your music the same way you visualize shots. The problem is I have played classical guitar and golf for decades, and I can attest... in my case I will never master either one. Maybe that is why the fascination for both has never gone away. This stuff is not easy.

Nice, and very true.

JamesR

Interlocking Now
Sep 25, 2005
I usually have a song going on in my head during a round, It helps my mental game and gives me a rhythm to go with.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I listen to mostly hardcore/screamo.. I know, I know.. lame.

But coming from an extreme sports- pro paintball, street hockey, beer pong... :)

On days it's dead, and I'm a single, I put my blackberry in the cup holder, and blast some August Burns Red, or some A Day to Remember, and I just swing away.

No tempo to it, it just does something to me, where I've always had music in the "background" of my life, it just keeps me tickin'.

I don't do music when people are playing with me, or within earshot. No one wants to hear screaming and breakdowns in their backswing, but me!

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Oh, I don't listen while I play. Only in my head anyway.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I "listen" in my head as well..

But like I said.. In the evenings, when I'm a single and almost alone.. I jam out.. I actually focus better when it's not dead silent.

DH4816

Jun 20, 2008
I'm really unusual in that I've never gotten into music. My wife is always amazed at the bands I've never heard of. I just grew up listening to sports talk radio and never got into it.

That being said most of the time that I golf, shoot, fish or just about anything outside like that I find myself singing one of two really dorky songs.

90% of the time it is "Lost and Found in a Border Town" by Brooks and Dunn, I don't even know all the words I just kind of mumble the chorus over and over as I walk up to a shot. The other one is "She Never Cried" by Confederate Railroad.

I don't know why I do this they don't even rank as my favorite songs but I find myself humming or singing the all the time.

DH

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
When I'm golfing, I can't concentrate on anything else. Music--even an ear worm--would be too darn distracting.

Ear Worm: annoying song you can't get out of your head.

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I listen to mostly hardcore/screamo.. I know, I know.. lame.

No, not really. Whatever you are in to, you're in to. I really like most genres, if they re performed well. Of course, different moods lend themselves to different types of music.

Before playing, I need something smooth and relaxed, because I love to just relax and go out and enjoy.

Michael Buble' "Home" works really well for me.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I don't have a problem relaxing.. Shimmy a few times, swing arms over my head, and I get into a "zone" when I play.

It's something I learned from paintball. Music was always blarring somewhere at the venue. People always watching, screaming, cursing.. Flash bulbs going off. Ton's of distractions. But I found I never remember hearing anyone but myself, and my teammates and.. the music.. At that point it takes alot to break my concentration on something.

Of course, this is the same great skill I use when I'm watching TV, and my ol' lady speaks to me.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
Oh, I don't listen while I play. Only in my head anyway.

Brainworms - once they're in you can't get them out.

I once played a course in New Jersey and there was a 4 some in front of us that had a boom box propped up on one of the carts blasting loud, foul mouth, rap music. We had to ask them to shut it off. They did, but they weren't happy about it.

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I kissed a girl and I liked it!

Darnit Katy Perry!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.