• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My 3 Wood: In Memorium

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
Well, it's official: I have buried my 3 wood. It's in my garage, where all clubs go to die, and is to remain there for the forseeable future. I have been unable to hit this club in the same ferocious manner to which I had become accustomed, and finally decided that the 2 shots per round that I was pulling it out for were, in fact, better off hit with a shorter club. I have come to the realization that some par 5's were meant to be reached in 3, so in that line of thinking I have decided to rekindle my love affair with the 4th wedge.

I used to carry a GW, along with a PW, SW and LW, during my brief Phil Mickelson emulation period, but dropped it to add a 16* hybrid during my Todd Hamilton phase. Between then and now, well, I've just been using my old Retro Raylor/V Steel 3 wood as a Longhorns headcover holder. There have been brief stints where I would keep my driver in the bag due to my enormous confidnce in my spoon, and I would intentionally lay up on short par 5's to hit 3 wood instead of 3 iron, but those days are a thing of the past.

Therefore, it is with a heavy heart that I say farewell, at least until this phase wears off.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Well hopefully it wears off quickly, that's a nice club, :)

At least you have the right idea, Odyssey Putter and the rest TaylorMade, you're a good man.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I ask myself almost every round why I insist on carrying my 3 wood in my bag. I have a hybrid that has 17* loft and I hit it to within 10 yards of my 3 wood. By carrying both, I have a gap in my wedges that I used not to have because I have taken my 56* wedge out. I have a 48*, 53*, and a 60*. I need to bend the 53 back to 52* and put my 56* back in the bag and ditch either the 3 wood or the 17* hybrid. I have way more wedge shots per round than I have shots that are in the 220 to 230 yard range. I have made way more birdies on par 5's from hitting a wedge stiff as my third shot than I have missing the green or hitting into bad trouble trying to get on in two.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
who not trying a 15* as opposed to the ts ? much easier to hit consistently imo.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
These things happen. I dropped mine for a while and am now back to the 3W-5W combo. The 3w is great off the tee, nearly as long as my driver. I've hit it decently off the deck a few times too. I usually try to play a fade with it, much better chance of a solid strike for me. I hate feeling like I'm shying away from a club. I'm at the point where it's BS to think it's the club, it's me and my swing. I've hit it before I can hit it now, if I duff it then so be it.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
When you hit it well, it is definately worth it though. Just take it to the range every so often, you know how this game goes.

OP
Mors Ab Alto

Mors Ab Alto

Aug 28, 2006
who not trying a 15* as opposed to the ts ? much easier to hit consistently imo.

If I went to a 15*, then there would be an even smaller distance gap between my 16* hybrid and 3 wood. Right now, I have about a 10-12 yard disparity between the 2, and since the only time I'm faced with a shot where I HAVE to hit 3 wood is on a long par 5, laying up inside 100 yards in the fairway is much better, in my opinion, than trying to reach the green and missing 30 yards left/right pin high.

There seems to be no valid reason for me to carry a 3 wood anymore, regardless of loft, because there are really no shots that I feel NEED 3 wood distance, as I, and my ego, have come to grips with tha fact that laying up on long par 5s is acceptable, and just smarter, than pushing it. I can even manage short par 4s, where I used to hit 3 wood off the tee, by choking down on my driver and taking a nice, easy swing to produce a low, little cut that goes the same distance. And this shot is easier to hit than a full 3 wood.

The gap between my 54* SW and 45* PW is very noticeable (105-127), and I come upon these distances much more often than 250. Plus, around the greens, a 50* GW would add yet another option to choose from. So for me, an extra wedge just makes more sense.

But maybe that's why I can't get below an 8.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Definitely go for the wedge. That PW is a 9iron lol. I have a 47* and play a 50* GW. It's all a matter of figuring where the best place to have a distace gap is. I've gone quite a few rounds without taking the cover off my 23* hybrid. I'm picking up a 4iron anyway and the jump from 18*5W to 4iron will be my gap. I may strengthen the 4iron loft by 1/2 to 1* depending on how I feel about the gap. Anyway, sounds like the extra wedge will help. Good luck.

Hybrid-Heaven

Oct 22, 2006
If I went to a 15*, then there would be an even smaller distance gap between my 16* hybrid and 3 wood. Right now, I have about a 10-12 yard disparity between the 2, and since the only time I'm faced with a shot where I HAVE to hit 3 wood is on a long par 5, laying up inside 100 yards in the fairway is much better, in my opinion, than trying to reach the green and missing 30 yards left/right pin high.

There seems to be no valid reason for me to carry a 3 wood anymore, regardless of loft, because there are really no shots that I feel NEED 3 wood distance, as I, and my ego, have come to grips with tha fact that laying up on long par 5s is acceptable, and just smarter, than pushing it. I can even manage short par 4s, where I used to hit 3 wood off the tee, by choking down on my driver and taking a nice, easy swing to produce a low, little cut that goes the same distance. And this shot is easier to hit than a full 3 wood.

The gap between my 54* SW and 45* PW is very noticeable (105-127), and I come upon these distances much more often than 250. Plus, around the greens, a 50* GW would add yet another option to choose from. So for me, an extra wedge just makes more sense.

But maybe that's why I can't get below an 8.

How far do you hit a 16 degree hybrid?

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
i've just completed my distance re-evaluation and have bought a 13 degree V-steel 3 wood - and a 19 degree hibore hybrid, then 4iron–>

was playing driver, 16degree halo, 4 iron–> but the gap was just too big!

this way i can still carry 4 wedges, but have better options on shorter par 4's, rather than trying to smack my halo past 220 to get in range.

whatever works i guess....

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online