• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

MY AFTERNOON ON THE SWING MONITOR

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I couldn't stand it. I took a half day and went to B & G Sports in Brookfield, Wis (suburb of Milwaukee) since they don't charge for time on their monitor if you buy a club and their prices are as good as anyone's.

I tried every driver, loft, shaft and flex combo they had. I tried the R7 460, the FT3, the 905R, the HiBore, the Rapture (yes I did) and the Mizzy. Shafts tested were the V2, ProLaunch, NV, NVS, Cleveland, RE Max (TM), YS-6+ and Ping. Almost everything you could imagine. The salesman and I were about pooped when the smoke cleared but as most of the "pros" at shot talk have said this is the only way to find out what works for you.

It's amazing how much different one driver, loft, shaft and flex can be from another brand. Just like R35 said. I found a WHOLE lot out about my swing and also shafts.

I found my swing speed is between 95-105 (faster after loosening up) and ball speed was 150-160(?) I think. I require a stiff flex because even though my ss is not that fast I have a short backswing and really load the club hard at the start of the downswing (salesperson said like Nick Price?) so I HAVE to have a stiff flex. I also hit too high with a 10.5* flex. When we matched my 10.5* and ProLaunch reg shaft I had last summer on a HiBore head I hit nothing but "balloons"!! This made me feel GREAT as I didn't think my swing was that bad. (And you guys recommended more lessons, LOL!!)

I need a 9* loft and a stiff shaft with a mid-flex and I'm right in the 14-16* launch angle. They also had me move my ball back slightly and that made me much more consistent. I found that I CAN HIT R35's Launcher 8.5* with Graf Blue stiff!! I hit the stiff V2 in the HiBore real nice. Matter of fact it was the second best combo I hit (9.5* HiBore w/ stiff V2).

So after all this what did I gain. I found ONE driver among the group that CARRIED consistently 260-280 and very straight. It was also the second most accurate (lowest dispersion) driver behind (by a good margin) R35's beloved HiBore. Damn, that thing is a machine! One after another right on the same line, the exact same distance over and over. But in my case I severely needed distance. The HiBore and ALL THE OTHERS were 40 yards BEHIND my choice in carry distance. The club I picked is FAR AND AWAY the most AMAZING hammer I have ever hit.

What was it? See the Club Review I wrote on it in the Reviews forum here. I'm probably the first one in Wisconsin to have one of these since the dealers JUST got them in.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So I must be blind or just an idiot, where do I go to get the reviews???

:confused:

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
It's gonna kill you not to be able to play that thing for 6 months, isn't it? :D

Bring yourself and and clubs down to Georgia for a week.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Siberian,
I wished I could!!

Didn't like the 905R. All over the place with it.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I will say this. I will NEVER buy another driver without hitting it on the launch monitor first. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Drivers that I was SURE would be winners were huge flops.

If I had more "natural" distance and didn't have to rely so much on having to fit my swing exactly I would have bought the HiBore. Iron Byron couldn't have hit that more consistently then I did today.

But 40 yards is 40 yards!!

:)

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Nope. This winter we're gonna be visiting the indoor ranges in Milwaukee once a week. I'm gonna put some distance to my game!! (sssmokin won't know what hit him 'em next spring.... bwahahahahahahahahahah)

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
so has anyone found a combo that really jacks the Hi-bore out there distance wise??? everyone says its impossible to not hit straight, but a loss of distance brings it back a notch......anyone hitting this further than all others??

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
youngun5 said: so has anyone found a combo that really jacks the Hi-bore out there distance wise??? everyone says its impossible to not hit straight, but a loss of distance brings it back a notch......anyone hitting this further than all others??

I think R35 has hit the magic button on the HiBore. He's put in the Accuflex Evolution and turned it into a bomber. And remember I also said it is extremely consistent distance wise from shot to shot. They don't give you enough shaft choices with it from the factory is the real problem. The V2 is pretty good in it though.

JEFF4i said: How about the r7?

I really WANTED the R7 to be the club (for some unknown reason) but I was very erratic (for me) in regard to distance variation and left to right variation on the monitor. I hit some good ones and then absolutely trashy ones with it.

The Rapture was just plain consistent in regard to distance and pretty good in left to right dispersion. And just super long. I don't know what they've engineered into it but there is something about it you can't appreciate until you've hit one.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
so has anyone found a combo that really jacks the Hi-bore out there distance wise??? everyone says its impossible to not hit straight, but a loss of distance brings it back a notch......anyone hitting this further than all others??

The problem with the HiBore (well, "problem" is a relative term here) is that it delivers such small spin rates, which in turn make the ball drop out of the sky with almost zero roll. The key is to find a shaft that increases the spin of the drive without ballooning it. And, with most shafts available as options on drivers these days, those types are far and few between.

The Accuflex/HiBore combo is good for 300 yards if I was to step on one, but dead straight. But, it's shorter than my Launcher by 15-20 yards, easy. I've decided to sacrifice distance for control, and so far, I'm pretty happy with it.

The HiBore is a stupid dead straight stick, but don't look to win long drive comps with it.

If you want long, get an R5 TP mated to a mid flex shaft or a FT-3 Tour.

R35

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
If you want long, get an R5 TP mated to a mid flex shaft or a FT-3 Tour.

R35

Or a Ping Rapture with a NVS shaft.

anyone hitting this further than all others??

youngun5

The HiBore with the V2 was longer then all other drivers I tested except the Rapture because it was so consistent. It's NOT a pooch with a good shaft! (And a good swing...ahem)...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online