• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Anniversary Giveaway of 'THE LONGEST SHOT'

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
Two years ago today my first book published.

THE LONGEST SHOT: Jack Fleck, Ben Hogan, and Pro Golf's Greatest Upset at the 1955 U.S. Open was released a few weeks prior to the 2012 U.S. Open at the Olympic Club, where 57 years earlier the unknown Fleck stunned the legend Hogan in one of sports' greatest upsets. Sadly, Jack is gone now, passing away in March at the age of 92.

That book, which took me five years to write, sell and publish, was a major impetus for keeping this blog going. As I've said before, I never could have anticipated what was in store when I started this blog in 2005 under the pen name "The Armchair Golfer." I only intended to dabble and get a feel for blogging.

The publication and reception of THE LONGEST SHOT provided many personal highlights. I'll name a few. Favorable reviews, including the New York Times. Media opportunities, including the Golf Channel during U.S. Open week, an exclusive excerpt at Golf.com and a Q&A with Geoff Shackelford. Later that year Booklist named THE LONGEST SHOT as one of the Top 10 Sports Books of 2012.

The peak moment, though, was likely when Jack Fleck, along with Billy Casper, was interviewed by NBC's Bob Costas prior to the final round coverage of the 2012 U.S. Open. (See above video.)

I anticipated the interview because an assistant to Costas met with me at Olympic to talk about Jack. He and Costas wanted to know about the oldest living U.S. Open champion, and solicited my ideas for questions that would evoke good responses during the interview segment.

However, I had no idea that Costas would hold up my book on national television. That doesn't usually happen. I was shocked and thrilled. Wow! I couldn't believe it. I remember thinking at the time, 'If nothing else happens, it's been a terrific run.'

Giveaway

To be included in a random drawing for an autographed copy of THE LONGEST SHOT, please email your name and address to [email protected].

P.S. Of course, only one of you will win, so please consider picking up a copy for yourself or a friend or a family member. Hey, Father's Day is just around the corner.

P.P.S. I'm excited to tell you there's another one on the way later this year. More on that topic soon.

Source: My Anniversary Giveaway of 'THE LONGEST SHOT'

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.