• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Baby Broke 100!

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
My 12 year old daughter shot 49-50 today to break 100 for the first time. Our home course is 5,150 +- from the front tees. Lots of elevation changes. Firm greens that are medium fast. Though she's been having some putting nightmares she got around today in 38 putts. She was a tad cranky after a big drive on the 9th could get her only a double bogey, not realizing, even with the 6, she shot 49. Seeing the 4 in the tens column pumped her up for the back. She played the first six on the back nicely. Seven over par, she was sitting at 30.

Then it was touch and go. The last three holes are really tough for the ladies, as well as the gentlemen. She's riding with her Mom, who's struggling a bit herself. From the red tees, the 16th is a 361 yard rise and fall par four always into the wind. She made 7. The 17th is a 343 yard par four that starts on a highly elevated tee. She three putted from 10 feet downhill for 6.

The last is a 438 yard par five into the wind that starts on an elevated tee and finishes sharply up hill into a two tier green. She smashes a drive, but catches the fairway bunker on the right. Knocks it out of there with a crisp, clean pick down the fairway. Afraid she'll dub a wood off our not soft 18th fairway, (she knows what she needs to break the century mark), she wisely hits 6i to the bottom of the hill short of the green. She launches a nice, high wedge at the back left pin, only to have it drift left, nestling past pin high in short rough, leaving a slightly downhill chip she hits tentatively, barely getting it past the fringe.

By now, I'm sweating it out for her big time. All the way down the fairway, I've been telling the guy we got hooked up with I can barely watch. Watching your kid take a big step on the course is very stressful. Almost trouser filling stressful. Even our mostly a stranger playing partner is nervous. He's pulling for her too, though he's about to be beaten on the back nine by a twelve year old girl. We weren't holding each other for support after we hit our own shots, but it was close.

She rolls the first putt downhill about four feet past, leaving the proverbial knee knocker, but at least it's up a slope. She lines it up for about a second and a half, stands over it, and drives it home for double bogey 7 and a sweet, sweet 50.

99. Man, was she excited. On the ride home she was all like, "Daddy if I just putt a little better, Daddy, if I don't do this, and I don't do that, or that, or this, I could easily get below 95." I told her she's not far from breaking 90.

Last year, when she decided she wanted to play and take the game fairly seriously, I said when she breaks 100 consistently, the next summer we would go to Ireland. Unless the economy decides to kick the supports out from under our lifestyle, a distinct possibility unfortunately, I'm thinking we just might be teeing it up at Ballybunion for our first round sometime next August.

It'll be hard on me, but I'll suck it up. Family comes first, I always say.

Kevin

OP
Esox

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
I'll pass on the congrats, thanks Claire. We have an excellent High School girls golf team. Grace is only headed to 7th grade, but the coach has already made contact, as he has seen her scores in some of the Jr. PGA tourneys in the state. This taste of the '90s has her ready to work. Her Mom went to bed last night, and we stayed up and talked. She wants to play four of the remaining 18 hole tournaments left in the Jr. Tour of the state PGA. These are tournaments she has been hesitant to enter because kids shoot under 100 in some cases on fairly tough courses, no tougher than ours, however. Now she's knows she's ready, and I would be very surprised if she doesn't play well.

I'll look into the putting aid, though I know, and she knows, that her woes on the greens can be easily solved by putting in some practice hours. What's cool is we have not pushed her, and she is working her way into practicing at her own rate. It's been fun watching the progression. She has shaved 20+ strokes off her scores since the end of June, 2008.

Kevin

Kevin

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Thats great Essox, congrats to you and your daughter.

And a +1 on the Boomerang, I've got one and it really helps on distance. Sadly it doesn't help in reading the green, (my big downfall), but the fact she could do it in the house on a rainy day sure couldn't hurt. And they aren't very expensive either. :D

Good luck on making the trip to Ireland.

295yards

May 5, 2009
My 12 year old daughter shot 49-50 today to break 100 for the first time. Our home course is 5,150 +- from the front tees. Lots of elevation changes. Firm greens that are medium fast. Though she's been having some putting nightmares she got around today in 38 putts. She was a tad cranky after a big drive on the 9th could get her only a double bogey, not realizing, even with the 6, she shot 49. Seeing the 4 in the tens column pumped her up for the back. She played the first six on the back nicely. Seven over par, she was sitting at 30.

Then it was touch and go. The last three holes are really tough for the ladies, as well as the gentlemen. She's riding with her Mom, who's struggling a bit herself. From the red tees, the 16th is a 361 yard rise and fall par four always into the wind. She made 7. The 17th is a 343 yard par four that starts on a highly elevated tee. She three putted from 10 feet downhill for 6.

The last is a 438 yard par five into the wind that starts on an elevated tee and finishes sharply up hill into a two tier green. She smashes a drive, but catches the fairway bunker on the right. Knocks it out of there with a crisp, clean pick down the fairway. Afraid she'll dub a wood off our not soft 18th fairway, (she knows what she needs to break the century mark), she wisely hits 6i to the bottom of the hill short of the green. She launches a nice, high wedge at the back left pin, only to have it drift left, nestling past pin high in short rough, leaving a slightly downhill chip she hits tentatively, barely getting it past the fringe.

By now, I'm sweating it out for her big time. All the way down the fairway, I've been telling the guy we got hooked up with I can barely watch. Watching your kid take a big step on the course is very stressful. Almost trouser filling stressful. Even our mostly a stranger playing partner is nervous. He's pulling for her too, though he's about to be beaten on the back nine by a twelve year old girl. We weren't holding each other for support after we hit our own shots, but it was close.

She rolls the first putt downhill about four feet past, leaving the proverbial knee knocker, but at least it's up a slope. She lines it up for about a second and a half, stands over it, and drives it home for double bogey 7 and a sweet, sweet 50.

99. Man, was she excited. On the ride home she was all like, "Daddy if I just putt a little better, Daddy, if I don't do this, and I don't do that, or that, or this, I could easily get below 95." I told her she's not far from breaking 90.

Last year, when she decided she wanted to play and take the game fairly seriously, I said when she breaks 100 consistently, the next summer we would go to Ireland. Unless the economy decides to kick the supports out from under our lifestyle, a distinct possibility unfortunately, I'm thinking we just might be teeing it up at Ballybunion for our first round sometime next August.

It'll be hard on me, but I'll suck it up. Family comes first, I always say.

Kevin

Thats a phenominal story!
Breaking 100 is honestly just a "barrier", we've all pushed it and it has significant meaning as a personal triumph, but to be there as a family to share an accomplishment that seems so monumental as a golfing goal is almost tear jerking.
My oldest girl is already 7 and I have not yet had her out to the course yet.
Kids can sometimes make us feel like we are giving up some of our own ambitions as we sacrifice most all our free time to them but its moments like you described, that make you realize being single and hitting balls everyday to maybe become a scratch golfer is pail in comparison.
Congratulations man!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.