• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My break away from golf

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
My ultimate deer blind is done. What a job getting the frame and materials to the site. Luckily my SIL has a nice Chevy 4-wheel drive pickup and nice trailer. We went through some mud holes I swear no vehicle should go through to get back to the high ground where my stand is located.
This puppy cost me over $600 to build (treated 1/2 plywood). The hardware alone cost over $100. I only had my cell phone but there are two swivel bar stools in there and it's 4' X 8' (8' high) with flip open shooting windows on all four sides. We ended up with roofing paper (tar paper) on top. It's at a slight angle so the rain will roll off the flat roof. A ceiling light inside also.

That's my SIL on the roof and my grandson (15 years old, 6'0" tall and 175 lbs. of rippling muscle) standing in the forground. He's recovering from a broken leg he suffered in football last fall. He doesn't want to learn golf but I got his dad golfing now. And the ticks are bad. I had 6 on me.
0625111541.jpg
0625111542.jpg

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Nice! You didn't make the SIL do all the work, did you?

If I was a deer, I wouldn't come within 2 miles of that thing, hahahaha.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So you wait until they are close enough to "grab 'em by the ears"? How do you decide on a location? What is inside the blind? Beer, food, ammo, guns and you?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I'm impressed. Damn nice shooting house. Best of luck with it this coming season.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Looks good!

Personally would have made the flip up shooting windows out of plexi so that i could keep them closed and still be able to see out. Keep the wind/rain/snow/etc out while still being able to hunt.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
What's wrong with sitting up in a tree on a branch with a knife between your teeth? Deer walks under and you jump down and land it while stabbing the beast.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
What's wrong with sitting up in a tree on a branch with a knife between your teeth? Deer walks under and you jump down and land it while stabbing the beast.

I keep hurting myself doing it that way....

Me, my gun and food (no beer) are in there. And also two swiveling bar stools with seat backs. And plexiglass windows are planned for next year. Location is middle of rolling hills oak woods (deer love acorns) surrounded by marsh and corn fields. Perfect deer santuary. This stand is on top of a hill overlooking their main "entrance" into the oak woods from the marsh and corn fields. The corn fields are cut by November rifle deer season so no more bedding down in the corn (the deer not me) and eating corn. They'll come up looking for acorns. The wolves and coyotes will be looking for them along with me. There are six of us hunting 120 acres (20 acres each) and we all go in together in the morning, "dropping off" at each of our stands and sit in them all day. No one moves around, comes late or screws up someone else's hunting in our group. The deer keep their normal patterns without fear so we see some huge ones. Here is one taken from my location (old stand) the year before I got on this lease and the smaller one is my first deer from this spot. I shot another like the next year and since have been passing up 2-3 like them waiting for the big one. I use a big boomer and it's very humane. They drop on the spot with no suffering. Average distance of shot is 75-150 yards.
GarysDeer.jpg
Jersdeer002.jpg

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
And this year I get to try out my new Remington 700 SPS Buckmasters .270 Winchester on them...
DSC00191.jpg
DSC00195.jpg
DSC00217.JPG

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Here's some pics of some of the wolves on our land taken from a tree by one of the bowhunters. The alpha male is coal black and bigger then these.
2007 067.jpg
2007 075.jpg
2007 077.jpg
2007 078.jpg

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.