• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My computer is slow

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
My laptop is able to handle photo-editing software and an internet browser or CAD and an internet browser at the same time perfectly. But only after around 15-20min after start up. I can't even use the mouse for probably 2 minutes after it has started. Can't do anything except move the cursor for 5 min. Commands don't work, clicking doesn't do anything, etc. I can open a browser after 5 minutes or so, but no pages will load for another 5 minutes. At the 15 min mark it is fast and I can open big programs like the cad or photo stuff.

My desktop never did anything like this, was fine from get go, do anything I want 1 min after push the power button. My mom's laptop is the same, yet mine has more ram and a faster processor than hers.

What's going on?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Sounds like you have something running on startup thats sucking all your processing and memory...

Got a virus scanner that runs every time you startup? Some of those things are memory and processing HAWGS......just a suggestion i have never really run into that issue before.

Check your startup folder and your virus scanner itself to see if its setup to run on startup or if its allowed to run as priority and suck tons of processing and memory

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I just told avast! not to scan on start up. I'm gonna reboot now and see whats up.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
This is on Vista or XP? From what I've seen vista runs entirely too many extras.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
XP. Vista is slow ALL the, I am just incapacitated for 15 min if I want to do anything other than use a browser. Can't even open office docs for 10+ min. Where can I find the startup folder? :eek:

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Get a free spyware program and run it. If you have spyware on your computer it will suck memory to run it. That is a common problem. :)

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Get a free spyware program and run it. If you have spyware on your computer it will suck memory to run it. That is a common problem. :)

I don't have spyware. Digging through startup programs right now. Will report my findings... Thanks e...

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, when it happens. Go into task manager in the processes section and click on the CPU Usage Tab on the titles bar to sort by it and see what process is hogging the resource. It is specified by percent and I am guessing you have a process nailing over 50% or more likely over 80%. Post the process here or better yet do a google search on the process and see what it is. My first thought thought would have been a scheduled scan or possibly a backup being run as well.

If there is not a heafty resource hog, post back. If you just have a bunch running over say 10% or more, post them.

OP
MIKE1218

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL, when it happens. Go into task manager in the processes section and click on the CPU Usage Tab on the titles bar to sort by it and see what process is hogging the resource. It is specified by percent and I am guessing you have a process nailing over 50% or more likely over 80%. Post the process here or better yet do a google search on the process and see what it is. My first thought thought would have been a scheduled scan or possibly a backup being run as well.

If there is not a heafty resource hog, post back. If you just have a bunch running over say 10% or more, post them.

Clark and I are attempting to sort it out right now. I will check the processes next time I start up, if I can get the list to open...

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Clark and I are attempting to sort it out right now. I will check the processes next time I start up, if I can get the list to open...
If you can't get it sorted out, depending on what version of Window you are running, you can likely Start up the task manager, go to the processes tab and sort it by CPU usage and leave it running, then when the problem happens you will likely see the process.

Also may be worth mentioning if this only happens once a day or every time you boot, to help determine the nature of the problem.

If you can't get it sorted out, post what you do figure out.

Good Luck!!!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Another note I thought of where I would look, if you have something like synaptics or touchpad software, it could be the culprit. It and is not necessary to use the touchpad. May be getting conflicts between a mouse and the touchpad?

Members online

No members online now.