• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My cure for Charles Barkley

JasonM

May 27, 2007
Ok, I'm sure most have seen the new series about Hank Haney in his quest to rid Charles Barkley of his horrendous hitch and improve his game to where he can actually seek some enjoyent out of it rather than embaressment.

After seeing the first episode and noteing how Charles' swing was actually not too bad and functioning pretty well in practice on the range, then seeing the previews for the next show where Hank tries to get him to take it to the golf course in which it is a big dissapointment as he goes back to his old ways, shows me one thing...his problem is purely mental!

Now if Hank's plan is to try to override the mental through the physical then that might possibly work, however it's quite obvious that Charles' problem is in having a really strong attachment to the outcome of the shot, and it is messing him up big time!

What I would say to him...or everyone for that matter (Even though I'm far from a Hank Haney) would be a speach that goes something like this.

"Look, watch a tape of Tiger Woods or Fred Couples playing 18 holes. What you are going to see from Tiger is at least 3 tee shots that drift so far out of the fairway due to a block or a hook that he needs help to find it.
You will also see him missing greens, flubbing 30 foot chips on occasion and missing 3 foot putts at crucial times ('07 matchplay is a prime example).
If you watch Freddy, you will notice that usually his reaction after at least 3 out of every 5 shots is one of disgust. He'll make the dreaded argg sound drop his head and hit his instep with his club. My point is this, if 2 of the best players in the world, and the number one who's ever lived as far as I'm concerned, messes up shots a vast majority of the time, then it's ok for you to do too. If you hit a bad shot just repeat to yourself, "well the best players in the world do it"...and even better is to think this before you hit the shot, "well if I hit a bad shot, so what, Freddy does it 90% of the time!"

What this beleif system will do is give you non-attachment and take a lot of pressure of you to perform better.

It's like in the NBA, if you watch a practice session you won't be able to tell who the stars of the team are, everyone will be hitting 3-point jumpers, reverse dunks etc... but as soon as the score is kept, the lower level players will regain their mortality because of the stress of caring about messing up.

So he (and everyone) should have a beleif system that makes you not care if you hit a terrible shot, that's the true secret of taking your range game to the course, because on the range you have true non-attachment due to thinking there's no score so nothing's on the line, and even if I hit it fat or top it, you still have 100 more balls to hit....that and nobody's watching...so so what. Maybe Hank will cut me a %? :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.