• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Daddy makes more than your Daddy

kelvinsense

degen gambler
May 9, 2008
#3. Lyle, dead nuts on in regards to the NBA & some of it's players. Why do they have to go with the thug style gangst wannabe crap? I think another reason people flock around Tiger is, he's thought of & perceived as a nice clean cut average kinda guy.

:) I think it's just the environment they grew up in that shapes them later on.
Tiger saw his dad hitting some golf balls into a net at a very young age and copied.

These basketball players might have grown up surrounded by the "thug style gangsta crap" which is why they act like that now. It seems weird to us because we weren't surrounded by that growing up.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
The reason that teachers, police officers, firemen, get paid so little is because so many different people can fill these jobs. The reason we don't idolize them is because really ANYBODY can do it. The average person can perform the tasks required to do those jobs. (Not "anybody", but is likely a large pool of people able and willing to fill those positions).

There's that old phrase, "Those who can, do-- those who can't, teach." There's a reason for that.

The teaching profession's students, i.e., those in undergraduate or graduate training to become teachers, generally have a very low collective academic record. Teaching attracts the dullest, and it makes sense. Most often it is government funded with good benefits and summers off. The perfect job for somebody who isn't motivated to DO, but rather to get someone else to do.

That being said, I have met a few teachers who really epitomize what I'd LIKE all teachers to be; to the point that I genuinely miss them. My favorite teacher was an engineer for 12 years before he decided to relax for the rest of his life. He went to teaching because it IS really easy, unless you're a social misfit, or suffer from blindness.

Most of all, teaching almost mandates that you don't think for yourself. Say something that's not politically correct and you're in trouble! As the majority of people slide further away from intelligent, independent thought, teaching becomes even more attractive.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
The reason that teachers, police officers, firemen, get paid so little is because so many different people can fill these jobs. The reason we don't idolize them is because really ANYBODY can do it. The average person can perform the tasks required to do those jobs. (Not "anybody", but is likely a large pool of people able and willing to fill those positions). There are exceptions, such as when they change lives of other peoples in a much realer way than sports stars can.

I am not sure that just ANYBODY could teach my class of severely behaviorally and emotionally disturbed kids. All of my kids are sporting a legit psychiatric diagnosis and are extremely violent. We did however, manage to pass all of the state requirements for promotion in North Carolina.

I must admit that you did get short changed in your english classes however. I am not sure what you mean by changing lives in a "much realer" way. Perhaps you meant in a much more real way.

If you think I am being a jerk that's unfortunate. I do not like it when people such as yourself make broad sweeping generalizations about teachers. Are there some bad ones? Yes, but, no more so than bad engineers whose buildings/bridges collapse or accountants and bankers who though their greed or incompetence cost people way more money each year than Tiger will make in his lifetime.

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
There's that old phrase, "Those who can, do-- those who can't, teach." There's a reason for that.

The teaching profession's students, i.e., those in undergraduate or graduate training to become teachers, generally have a very low collective academic record. Teaching attracts the dullest, and it makes sense. Most often it is government funded with good benefits and summers off. The perfect job for somebody who isn't motivated to DO, but rather to get someone else to do.

That being said, I have met a few teachers who really epitomize what I'd LIKE all teachers to be; to the point that I genuinely miss them. My favorite teacher was an engineer for 12 years before he decided to relax for the rest of his life. He went to teaching because it IS really easy, unless you're a social misfit, or suffer from blindness.

Most of all, teaching almost mandates that you don't think for yourself. Say something that's not politically correct and you're in trouble! As the majority of people slide further away from intelligent, independent thought, teaching becomes even more attractive.

I know this is an old topic, but wow... seriously?

gpo

Jun 2, 2008
Teaching salaries are set at basic supply and demand economics. Just like most jobs in America. If there was a smaller supply of teachers then the salary would go up.

BTW, teachers in the Chicago burbs can easily get over 100K after 20-30 years and then retire at 70-80% of that with benefits. Some have been known to get up over 140K. That pay and summer's off I should have been a teacher and coach.

Any teacher who doesn't like their pay can go get another job. Hey it is a free country. No one is making you be a teacher.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Don't watch pro basketball and hockey and I'm sure I'm not alone. What is hockey anyway? :D Only NFL pro football. And golf. :)

These basketball players might have grown up surrounded by the "thug style gangsta crap" which is why they act like that now. It seems weird to us because we weren't surrounded by that growing up.

Kelvinsense

I read all these "Racine" court cases where the murderer's lawyers get up during their sentencing and state how their client "didn't have a family and blah blah and that they are going to get their HS degree and do good deeds after they get out so want a light sentence blah blah"... "and they're really sorry they gunned down those five people and didn't really mean to"....

Yeah right. :(

And I'd LOVE to be a teacher... :D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I know this is an old topic, but wow... seriously?
Me too. That statement has so many half-truths, misguided views, and just plain dumbass (sorry, SUX, it just does...) that it's hard to read.

Teaching attracts the dullest people? With the worst academic records? That makes no sense, whatsoever.

Teaching mandates that you can't think for yourself? Where did you read THAT!

Sorry SUX, and I don't mean to stir up an old pot. But, COME ON...

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Me too. That statement has so many half-truths, misguided views, and just plain dumbass (sorry, SUX, it just does...) that it's hard to read.

Teaching attracts the dullest people? With the worst academic records? That makes no sense, whatsoever.

I agree, and I'm married to a teacher. SUX, you're just wrong (meant politely).

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008

Thanks for saying it for me Eracer and MCDavis. My girlfriend is a music teacher and she is the most talented vocalist I have ever met. Not only does she pass her enthusiasm for music on to her students, but she also performs and gives private lessons, so "those who can't, teach," is absolutely ludicrous to me. It's not just about the "subject" either. Her teaching instills self-confidence and self-expression in her students, as well as introducing them to interdisciplinary concepts such as fundamentals of mathematics and music in a historical context. A huge aspect of completing your teaching certification is understanding adolescent development as well, and using your influence on a student to optimize their growth.

Basically, I'm saying that unless you're a really crappy teacher or someone that was grandfathered in, there's a lot more to it than having no other career options when you're at the bottom of the barrel in your chosen discipline. I don't know where you live, but in CT there are some very strict standards and ongoing certifications necessary to remain a teacher.

Also, I was a teacher for a year and I quit because it absolutely sucked. Keeping all those kids in line and constantly being in the spotlight was not for me. It's stressful and sometimes you are lesson planning and correcting assignments until 8pm. It takes a certain breed of person to be a good teacher and I think those people are really special. Granted there are some crappy ones, but I refuse to generalize the entire profession like that.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Teaching is like many professions that suck the passion right out of many unselfish people who get into it. Bureaucracies, inequitable pay, and a sense of impotence in the face of the bell curve doom many otherwise good and dedicated people.

LEO's, educators, politicians, even doctors - it seems like many of them have to sacrifice their ideals to succeed monetarily in their chosen professions. And thus they become part of the problem by becoming selfish. The good and noble few who really do want to make a difference are often cast aside by a system that has no use for them.

My best friend is a doctor, and he is very frustrated by the bureaucratic nonsense that he has to deal with on a daily basis, just to practice medicine. He sees groups of doctors who form coalitions that abuse the system and think nothing of profiting from bad medicine. He refuses to play that game, and makes much less money than he could because of it.

I'm sure there are many good people who start out teaching, wanting to make a difference. They get buried by the system, and end up quitting, like you did Blue. I've always admired teachers - more than most professions. To be able to impart knowledge and inspire others to learn is a gift.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Any teacher who doesn't like their pay can go get another job. Hey it is a free country. No one is making you be a teacher.

I'm a teacher...Kiss my ass!
Silver, you can pucker up also.

(notice there are no smileys to indicate this is intended in a lighthearted or amusing way)

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I'm a teacher...Kiss my ass!
Silver, you can pucker up also.

(notice there are no smileys to indicate this is intended in a lighthearted or amusing way)
You have no idea how much I like this post...even read it to my wife!!

She asked a good question: Those of you who think poorly of the teaching profession...where did your education come from?

I think she agrees with wirehair, also!

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I've been planning on becoming a teacher for the past year or two now. No, I don't have a terrible academic record. No, I am not un-motivated. I love coaching and working with kids. I always have. And I really love sports. So because of that, I'm becoming a physical education teacher. Why would I do anything besides what I'm into and what I enjoy doing? I don't know about you, but I don't want a job where it'll be a chore to go to work and I can't wait to get home.

bluebledthesea

Only Drinking AFTER Golf
Jul 22, 2008
And to think I was just searching for golf practice nets for my backyard when I stumbled on/revived this topic...

:laugh:

Eracer, where the f**k am I supposed to get shrimp netting?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.