• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My first ace!

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
And dammit if it wasn't on the friggin driving range... :D

Our driving range has a series of greens that are spread out on the fairway so you can practice your distance shots, and I never realized that the flags were actually in cups... until today I figured they were just 'stuck' there for something to aim for.

I was practicing chipping to the 90-yd green with my pitching wedge, and when the ball came off the club I watched it head directly for the pin, it hit the green, took a small hop and trickled up to the flag and disappeared.

At least I had a witness... the guy next to me was like "Did you just sink that?" and my fist-pumping gave the affirmative. :D

Now if I can just do that out on a course, I may be onto something... since sinking one off a driving mat really doesn't count... but it made me feel good anyway. :D

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I didn't know you could count driving range holeouts. In that case I had a 40 yarder last month. :D

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Keep getting that thing dialed in for the real deal. The range I go to has no cups, I believe. It would be tough anyway since they are up on small steep mounds. I just try to hit the mound which would put me within 6-8 ft. on a real shot.

OP
David B

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
LOL... well, I guess driving range shots don't count, but it's probably the closest I'll get to one for a couple years at least. ;)

I figure heck, tack on another 20 yards or so, and that could be a small par 3. :)

Now I'll start working on the yellow flag, which is out about 120...

Chas

Dec 10, 2005
Sunny Southern California
Country
United States United States
I think it was the actor Fred MacMurray who got a hole in one at Bel Air Country Club when his ball ricocheted off a portable toilet.

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
I had one yesterday to the 150 flag. Never had one on the course but the range is pretty sweet.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I've never counted an ace on a range before. I guess if you get this much fanfare, maybe I should have.

I hit a ball into the bed of a moving truck with a 5 iron once. What's that worth? :D

R35

OP
David B

David B

Nuttier than a Squirrel
Apr 21, 2005
Congrats'ish

Thanks. :)

I think it was the actor Fred MacMurray who got a hole in one at Bel Air Country Club when his ball ricocheted off a portable toilet.

LOL... actually I think I'd be more impressed by that than by one that just went straight to the hole like mine did... bank shots are a lot tougher. ;)

I had one yesterday to the 150 flag. Never had one on the course but the range is pretty sweet.

Sweet! Maybe we should start a sticky thread for driving range aces... that way even we poseur's can enjoy the limelight for a bit. :D

I've never counted an ace on a range before. I guess if you get this much fanfare, maybe I should have.

I hit a ball into the bed of a moving truck with a 5 iron once. What's that worth?

Well, driving range ace's only count if your handicap is so high that it's tough to estimate... :D

But acing a moving truck is pretty impressive too. How fast was it going? Remember that the 'wow' factor is proportionally squared to the velocity of the vehicle. :D
Whether or not you got chased down by an irate driver (vehicle, that is) also earns bonus points. ;)

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I can see Rock chasing the truck down to retrieve his Callaway ball...

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
David B said:
Sweet! Maybe we should start a sticky thread for driving range aces... that way even we poseur's can enjoy the limelight for a bit. :D
Great idea, then mine from last year would count for something too. :miz:

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
bdcrowe said:
I can see Rock chasing the truck down to retrieve his Callaway ball...

How many ranges do you know that use Callaways? (If you do, go there, buy a bucket of them, then put the bucket in your car. Put them in the mail and send them to me...)

This was at the range. The range I often play is sorta out in the boonies and the range has a gravel road that skirts the left side. One day I was hitting knockdown 5 irons and was hitting them pretty well. I was on the far left side of the range, so I figured I'd try and hood a 5 iron into an old truck that was going by....maybe 20mph, obviously sightseeing or something. Anyways, I hit it nice and it slammed inside the bed. There musta been something in the bed cuz the ball never came out. He didn't stop or even brake, much to my surprise.

Not that great a story, I guess. Still doesn't beat my brother hitting that deer with a drive. Babe Ruth style.

R35

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Rock... I've been to a range that uses Maxfli Rev. Tour before. Needless to say, I dodged the security cameras to bag a fair few...

🔥 Latest posts