• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My First Archery Deer Hunt...

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I like to shoot with an open or relaxed hand on the grip(I use a strap). I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do but it helps me anchor the same way and the bow just hangs level.

Both hands should be relaxed during the shot and no "cupping". The hands (both) should be straight on the back side. I used to use high wrist (aka Terry Ragsdale) while low wrist was most popular. And the smallest grip you can find the less you will (can) torque the bow during the shot. You should always use a wrist strap to shoot relaxed hands. And the biggest flaw I see is people shooting with their arms and not their back muscles. If you shoot with your back muscles it feels like your shoulder blades are pulling together and their is no tension in your arms. When you pull the bow you pull with the back muscles and not arms. If you are shooting too much poundage you won't be able to pull with the back muscles. I extended my bow arm and drew back to my anchor point with my back. I see these so called experts on tv pulling and shooting with their arms. They'll never get good. If you shoot right and have a pin for it you can confidently shoot out to 50 yards and hit the vitals every shot. If it was calm I could hit you in the head every shot at 80 yards or more.

Last edited:
OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I use a strap trigger release and a wrist sling and keep both hands relaxed.

I do probably pull with my arm though...I'll have to pay more attention to that. I've been mostly focusing on my grip because this bow is just so ridiculously finicky about the grip.

I shoot in my basement every night trying to get as consistent as possible. My uncle has a 60 yard range at his farm, so I use that when I can.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I've rifle hunted for years and years, but last year was my first time bowhunting. I think it will be more regular a thing for me for a number of reasons.

During gun season, there is a lot of public hunting land by where I hunt so there is consequently a lot of extra hunters in the area. Some years are better than others, but last year was ugly. Seemed like every 40 yards or so I was seeing some orange. Talked to a couple of them, and nobody seemed to know anyone else that was in there. I could just see something bad happening if you had a hunter who wasn't paying attention to what was behind his target.

The people in our camp have changed over the years, too. Used to be, we'd get up at 4am, be in our stand or spot a half hour before season opened, hunt until season closed (nothing like braunschweiger & spicy mustard sandwiches in the woods), drink coffee and eat chili to warm up, and then crack open a few beers before hitting the sack to do it again the next day. Now, there are as many hunters as non hunters (can make for cramped conditions, especially when they bring their fecking dogs). It's always good to see everyone, but it's aggravating when you want to hunt and you have people making a sh!t ton of noise outside the cabin. The deer are scarce enough around there as it is.

But the feel of the camp is more serious with bow season, and I like the fact that I don't have a lot of noisy hunters stomping through the underbrush. It's more peaceful, and I like watching the wildlife in the quiet woods. Last year I watched a squirrel scare the bejeebers out of a woodpecker. Funniest thing I saw in the woods in a while.

And it's a heck of a lot quieter and cheaper to shoot my bow than my rifle.

Agree on all points. The only thing I don't like about bow season on public land is walking by other hunters accidentally because you simply can't see them. It doesn't' seem to happen much, at least not so far anyway. But...the rut is approaching, and the woods gets a lot more crowded during pre-rut and rut.

Friend of mine went out last night and he and his girlfriend saw a total of 3 bucks and 4 does. None within range, but it's nice to see them up and moving around during the light hours.

I'm hoping to get out and do some hunting this weekend. Scrapes are opening up, rubs are showing up all over, it's starting.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I really wish I could get out this weekend. Moon phase is going to be right, pre-rut is starting, it's going to be cold, and the wind is perfect. I think I'm only able to go Sunday morning though...

@anonymous golfaholic you been seeing any signs of pre-rut down there?

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of rubs and scrapes. I have several trail cam pics of different deer sparring. I haven't seen any chasing but I've only hunted twice.

You're right though, with this dark moon and these cold temps, I think this weekend will be fantastic. The deer should really be moving. I'll be in a tree both mornings this weekend. I can't hunt tomorrow evening though, my wife bought us tickets to The Price is Right, lol.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I would love to get some trail cams up, but since i'm really only hunting public, that's a losing proposition. I'm taking all next weekend off and probably going to be hunting all day both days. I want to get some meat in the freezer before going up north for gun season. That way I don't have to shoot one up there and deal with skinning a frozen deer.

The lady I work with went to that Tuesday, lol. She said it ended up being kind of lame...only 1 person won anything, and it was like 200 bucks or something.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
Good luck, man. Keep us posted. Also, If you ever want to make a trip to So IL, you're more than welcome to hunt with me. I do realize out of state tags are expensive though.

My wife is dragging me to this. The odds are slim that one of us gets picked. If I get picked, it could be embarrassing because I plan on having several beers before the show, lol. I don't want to end up on a Youtube video, "Worst PIR contestent ever!". I have no clue what anything costs, I would look like a total tool, lmao.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Non res 5 day Hunting license - $35
Non res deer archery(either sex & anterless only) $410

Ouch...lol, that's kinda steep for deer. Would be a lot of fun though, there are some bruisers in Ill! What is a POH license? That's only 210, but i'm not sure what property only hunting is....never heard that before.

EDIT: You better act like a damn fool if you get picked! That's the whole point of PIR!

EDIT II: Nevermind about the POH....I looked it up...and I don't own property in Ill

Last edited:

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I think a license and tags is all need to hunt. You would be hunting on private property behind locked gates, so you would just need to be legal for the ride home.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
My SIL (expert bowhunter) told me the rut is in full swing now. He tagged a huge buck again this year. There won't be much rutting going on by the time gun season gets here. Dang. It's been late the previous years and there was still rutting going on in late November but this year looks like it's going to be much colder and maybe we'll even have snow for gun season.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Downed a fawn buck this morning! 20 yards, double lung, went 15 yards, wobbled and fell over.
Not proud of the size but I told myself I was shooting the first thing that have me a chance then I'll start being picky and letting small deer grow.

Had a nice 8 within 5 yards of me but it was way before shooting light. Hoping to maybe stick him next weekend.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I shoot to eat. I thought it was a tasty choice.

During the Great Depression the people ate all the deer in Alabama. None of the deer here are native as a result. I generally frown on taking the trophy bucks because I see more benefit in keeping the genes in the pool. Shoot the doe and misshaped buck. Our doe have overpopulated to the point they are weakening the herd.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Oh yeah, Im a food hunter first, but i would like a trophy whitetail on the wall some day.. I would prefer a larger deer for the freezer, but this one will be very tender!

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I have a country cousin on my mothers side. On a bet for a blueberry milkshake made with a girl he was sweet on he took a buck with a knife. From a tree. Its on the wall with a brass plaque. It says "Blueberry".

🔥 Latest posts