• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My First Archery Deer Hunt...

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Since I have a keyboard now, I'll write up the whole story if you wish to read it.

Spent 20 minutes getting looked up by a yearling or 2.5 year old 8 point before dawn. Heard something running at me, and finally at about 7 yards away I hit him with my flashlight and he stopped on a dime. Stared at me, getting closer and closer over the next what felt like an eternity. Finally at about 3 yards away, i took a step towards him and he bounded off, tail down. Looked at me another 5 minutes from about 50 yards away and wheezed at me a few times before walking off.

Finally got in my stand about 7 and am thinking my morning is probably shot after getting in the stand so late and bumping that 8 before dawn. About a half hour later I see a deer jump the fence coming towards me. Stood up, got ready, and within 15 minutes I had two fawns at about 10 yards. They were bumping heads and screwing around, acting like little kids. It was a lot of fun to watch. I was hoping mom would come out, she did, but only to about 40 yards. Too far for me.

They eventually worked their way back out to a picked corn field and fed for about 30 minutes before entering the woods and making their way right up the trail I was watching. Let the first two walk, they never gave me a real good shot anyway...the third one however, was standing there broadside begging me to shoot. First shot, bow hit the rail on my tree stand just enough to throw the shot high. He wasn't really bothered by the sound and just walked back into the woods a bit and stood there broadside again slightly quartering away. Knocked up another arrow, and sent it through him.

He trotted about 10 yards, looked around, got rubber legs and leaned up against a tree, then hit the ground.

After skinning, I missed all bone. Went between ribs on the way in, and the way out. Destroyed both lungs.

Looking forward to getting a shot at that 8 point. I know he's young yet, but for public land, he would be pretty nice. Private land, I would let him walk and grow up to be a giant...just not really a choice on public.

OP
eclark53520

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
What do you guys do for scent control?

I just wash my clothes in scent free wash, and keep them in a sealed tote...I spray down with Scent-A-Way original formula before walking in because I read a scientific study that it kills human odor bacteria the best...but that's pretty much it. Honestly, I mostly just pay attention to the wind, and only hunt area's when the wind is right for that area.

I know some people spend a lot of time and money on scent control...like those ozonics machines? Anyone use those? I think they're a farce...but I have zero experience with them.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I don't care what you do, a deer will still smell you. You have to play the wind. That is the single most important thing to deer hunting, imo. It obviously doesn't hurt to take all the precautions that you can. I do the same as you e, I wash my scent lock with special detergents and I wash my hair and body with non-scent hunting soap but it's impossible to completely eliminate foreign smells. One thing that is very important is your scent trail going to your stand/blind. Try not to walk against bushes and tall grass. Wear rubber boots and try to walk through some deep mud to mask any smells on your boots before you go into the woods. But ultimately you have to just use the wind to your advantage.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.