• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My First ClubHo ™

Jay McNasty

High Altitude Hacker
Aug 22, 2005
I did it. I gotta admit it feels pretty good. The butterflies in my stomach were pretty intense as I watched the ebay timer countdown and I put in that winning bid.

On the way shortly is a set of Titleist 731PM irons 3-PW. Auction claims they were used by a club pro (like it matters) and they will need to be regripped, but I got the set for a less than what most of them end up selling for. I wanted to pick these up when I was iron shopping in the spring, but just wasn't confident enough in my game that I would be able to play them. I think I am ready to hit them now and if I'm not, I got all winter to figure them out.
smilie_titty.gif

Now to find a bag to put them in.

Shout outs to R35(perhaps the biggest ho of them all) and VtDivot(you ho'ed well this week).

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Jay:

I love watching those ebay coundowns...gripping drama in itself...

I see you live in Colorado Springs. I have been to Colorado a ton and love it there...Will be coming to Denver for the first time in five years in the next few weeks and it will be like a homecoming of sorts to me as I was with a company out of Golden for ten years...

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
First of all Neal is EASILY the biggest ho of them all... and Rockford, while a fine Ho in his own right cannot hold a candle to me I'm sorry :p

BTW - I've got a 580XD and an extra putter lying around here somewhere... you interested? LOL

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
This is so true.

I am easily in 3rd place here.

This season, new irons, fairway wood, putter (2) and two new wedges. Oh, and a hybrid. But that's it. :D

R35

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
You know, I think I do fairly well myself. Not the best, but definitely hold my own.

In the past twelve months:

Driver(s): Cleveland Launcher 460 stock stiff 10.5 - upgraded to Graf Blue S, upgraded to NV-65S, traded for Launcher 460 9.5 NV-65S. Also Mizuno MP-001 460 8.5 NV-65S (just sold it today).
FW Woods: Adams Ovation 21* 7W stock stiff - now sits dormant in my closet.
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 (after winning 2 other auctions that didn't pan out for Cleveland TA7-Tours and Cleveland Launcher irons)
Hybrids: Nickent Genex 23* 4H, Mizuno Fli-Hi CLK 20* (MX-23 3 and 4 irons now sit dormant in my closet)
Putter(s): TM Rossa Mezza Monza (supposed to be just a Monza so I sold it to my friend), Odyssey 2-ball centre shafted - upgraded to an Odyssey White Steel 2-ball Blade (since cut down one inch and flattened the lie a couple of degrees)
Wedge(s): Mizuno MP Series 50* bent to 51*, Cleveland CG10 54*, Vokey 258-08 Black Nickel, just won an auction for a Vokey 256-10 Black Nickel and working on a Vokey Spin Milled SM60-04
Bag: Ogio EXO

I think that's a respectable year, overall.

Don

Aug 23, 2005
HI Bravo: when are you coming to Denver? I live in Aurora, and if you want to hit a few balls while you are in town, give me a hollar. Happy to let you demo one of my custom built putters while you're in town. Jay: congratulations on the new sticks. Always nice to get a good price on something you have been wanting for awhile. Good luck with your new toys.

OP
Jay McNasty

Jay McNasty

High Altitude Hacker
Aug 22, 2005
Bravo/Don: If you guys end up getting together to hit the sticks, let me know. I might be able to get up to Denver and hook up with you guys.

My sincerest apologies if I bruised any clubHo egos with my previous shouts. I was basing my conclusions soley on my short stay here and the threads I've seen. You're all great Hos in your own rights.
:biglol:

VT, it's too bad I'm left handed or I might actually give a second thought to buying some of your wares.

I guess my days of club hoing got started back in May and I just didn't realize what was happening until I got here. Here's the rundown:
Taylormade 200 irons
Nike Forged 56* wedge
Ping Anser 2 ( i even hoed a cool cover for this on ebay )
Titleist 731pm

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Ah, eBay. Bought 2 Odyssey 2-balls within 24 hours of each other in July. It was my first foray into eBay, and I can see why it is so addicting. Thankfully, I was patient enough not to pay more than retail for either one, but I did see a lot of that happening.

Not sure that I qualify as a leading club Ho, but I have built 2 sets of irons, built 4 drivers, built 3 putters, bought 2 putters, built a set of hybrids, reshafted another set of hybrids, built a 3-wood, and reshafted another 3w and 5w already this year. I am hoping to slow down a bit, but I have another set of irons that I am looking to re-shaft sometime this winter.

OP
Jay McNasty

Jay McNasty

High Altitude Hacker
Aug 22, 2005
Got the new sticks yesterday and threw them in the bag and headed to the range. I had planned on working chipping, but the call of the new sticks was just too much.

My partner pulled them out of the bag and looked at the 7 iron and remarked "uhh dude, they're blades. Good luck with all that" Me: "Yea, I know. I've got all winter to figure them out."

So we head off with a large bucket and commence hitting. First couple yanks with the 6 iron flew out to 180. Little shorter than my current set, but they went straight. I then got the first mishit with blades and felt the rattle all the way up to my elbows. That sucks! First thing I noticed about these was they seemed to keep a much lower trajectory compared to my super game improvement TM 200s. This is nice since fall/winter golf in CO means wind.

Overall, I was pretty pleased with how well I was able to hit them with all the stigma attached to blades for high handicappers. I'm going to take them to the range a couple more times this week and might even leave them in the bag for the father/son tourney this weekend.

EDIT: I did take half the large bucket over to the chipping green and empty it 3 times before hitting the rest out onto the range. Not a completely wasted trip :D

🔥 Latest posts