• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My first demo day - report card attached

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
Not to be a buzzkill but you play Callaway woods, go to a demo day and hit a bunch of Callaways into a net and say they are the best... WBL would say the Ping, I would say the TM ect.. Without at least an open range, preferrably a launch monitor with same shafts, not a whole lot can be judged.

Edit... I see you said 75yds. of flight. I assume a dome? Maybe just slighty better than a net. We have one that is about 120 deep and I can't hit a driver that doesn't hit the ceiling before the back wall.

No doubt it is biased. Like I said. This is a review based solely on vanity, looks, feel, and sound. I have no way of knowing how they all would perform on the range. You are exactly right that we would all walk away with some differences in the review. Thats why there are multiple drivers and manufacturers who seem to make money every year. For what it is worth, my friend does not play anything Callaway. He plays a 905R, and had a TM before that. I was mostly interested in sharing what I experienced for a few very blissful hours of pounding any driver I wanted for FREE...suckas. The biggest suprise to me was the Cobra Pro Speed D. I was really quite impressed with its feel, sound and look. I'm interested to hear if anybody has played that driver.

Also, no worries on sounding like a jerk. Everything you said was spot on accurate. It is a very, very limited review. Plus, I'm a big boy. It takes a lot to rattle my cage. I think honest opinions are better shared then kept in the right circumstances, and this was definitely one of those times to share!

Paul McCormack

Mar 30, 2009
i see rankmark.com has released it's february testing of tons of drivers. pretty good read. i even picked up a Burner driver because of it, albeit mine is the 2007 model(i heard there's not that much difference). pretty happy with the results i had today on the golf course.

and as far as this thread goes,i've got to say that hitting drivers into a net sets so many limitations on a solid review.

N.V.M.

Thanks for visiting Rankmark! It is always wonderful to hear of golfers that have benefited from the test results.

Enjoy your burner!

Paul McCormack
COO
Rankmark

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
No doubt it is biased. Like I said. This is a review based solely on vanity, looks, feel, and sound. I have no way of knowing how they all would perform on the range. You are exactly right that we would all walk away with some differences in the review. Thats why there are multiple drivers and manufacturers who seem to make money every year. For what it is worth, my friend does not play anything Callaway. He plays a 905R, and had a TM before that. I was mostly interested in sharing what I experienced for a few very blissful hours of pounding any driver I wanted for FREE...suckas. The biggest suprise to me was the Cobra Pro Speed D. I was really quite impressed with its feel, sound and look. I'm interested to hear if anybody has played that driver.

Also, no worries on sounding like a jerk. Everything you said was spot on accurate. It is a very, very limited review. Plus, I'm a big boy. It takes a lot to rattle my cage. I think honest opinions are better shared then kept in the right circumstances, and this was definitely one of those times to share!

I've got the old D, not the S-9.1. I was going to trade it but holding off to try another shaft in it.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
i see rankmark.com has released it's february testing of tons of drivers. pretty good read. i even picked up a Burner driver because of it, albeit mine is the 2007 model(i heard there's not that much difference). pretty happy with the results i had today on the golf course.

and as far as this thread goes,i've got to say that hitting drivers into a net sets so many limitations on a solid review.

I am bit biased but the 07 Burner is a fantastic club. I regretted selling my 1st one & will not ever sell my current one.

Paul McCormack

Mar 30, 2009
Unless you take into account personal preference, which is what any of them are about.

And don't even get me started on RankMark or Golf Digest and their "unbiased" winners.

R35

Hi Rockford 35,

I am sorry to hear that you are not convinced that Rankmark is unbiased. We really do not influence, edit, tweak, or fix the results. We do not care which clubs win!

Also, since Andrew and I bought the company in November 2008, we immediately made the decision NOT to accept advertising from club manufacturers.

We are leaving A LOT of money on the table. They'd love to advertise on our site and reach Rankmark's loyal viewership! But, not accepting manufacturer's ad dollars is the right thing to do for our viewers. Manufacturers cannot influence the results. We are dedicated to unbiased reporting.

Further, Andrew and I play golf, but we NEVER disclose the clubs we play. We do not play favorites. Period. I wrote an article to that effect on our site.

We recently had a series of calls with some major (and minor) manufacturers to answer questions as why their clubs did not test well. Simply put, the testers did not like the clubs. Does that make us popular with manufacturers? Not really, but our job is to provide golfers with the most unbiased test information available.

I really hope this brief explanation helps you better understand Rankmark. We really strive to produce unbiased reporting.

Thanks for providing me with the opportunity to respond and contribute to the discussion!

All the best,

Paul McCormack
COO
Rankmark

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
I've got the old D, not the S-9.1. I was going to trade it but holding off to try another shaft in it.

I take it you must like it. Especially to keep it around. What were your thoughts when you played it?

Riverologist

Jan 27, 2009
I don't understand why everyone doesn't own a set of these. You can get em super cheap now too. :)

Amen.

I was playing the R7's and went to the MP-60's after golftown had a blowout on all their left handed sets. Picked them up new for $498, fitting and adjustments included.

Not as forgiving as my R7's but they have forced me to carve a better swing. Now they feel like butter, I can work the tradjectory way more. So impressed. I'll be hanging onto these for a long while.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Mr McCormack,

First of all, let me me formally welcome you to Shottalk! We appreciate your audience and even moreso that you signed on to participate.

Now that we have that aside, I have to eat some crow.

My original comments were my error - I had mistakenly confused Golf Magazine's club ranking system with Rankmark. :( However, after doing some review of my misleadings, I'm impressed with what your group is trying to accomplish - to a degree.

While all tests like this are subjective, the neverending saga of being properly fit for a driver/club is always on the forefront. Taking any off the rack club and expecting it to fit a large audience of players is ridiculous. I've maintained for many years that the stock, OEM shaft offerings slapped into any driver or off the rack club fits only a select few players. So, a test of this sort is somewhat a selection of ill-fit drivers/clubs to players that either have no business hitting that shaft/head selection, or they don't know enough about the club/shaft fitting process to care. Which leads me to believe that you're going to be having selections made off advertising and personal preference.

Without a blind test and exact setups matching players/testers accross the board, the process is ultimately flawed.

While I can appreciate what your group does, and caters to a large audience of weekend warriors, it still remains no different than any other ranking system out there (save: Golf Digest and Golf Magazine and the idiotic methods they use).

I am glad to see that you are including some of the smaller component groups, some of which produce some of the best equipment available.

I hope you can lend your abilities and expertise on the testing realm to the forum. God only knows we have alot of guys here that expect leaps and bounds from the next batch of technology that comes out every year (or every 3 weeks in the case of TaylorMade. :ugly25:).

I would like to point out that my feelings on the testing procedures undertaken by Rankmark and any other testing case should not take away from my earlier mistake - I'll own up to that straight away. :)

Take care, and congrats on your success with Rankmark!

Regards,

Thomas
Rockford35

Hi Rockford 35,

I am sorry to hear that you are not convinced that Rankmark is unbiased. We really do not influence, edit, tweak, or fix the results. We do not care which clubs win!

Also, since Andrew and I bought the company in November 2008, we immediately made the decision NOT to accept advertising from club manufacturers.

We are leaving A LOT of money on the table. They'd love to advertise on our site and reach Rankmark's loyal viewership! But, not accepting manufacturer's ad dollars is the right thing to do for our viewers. Manufacturers cannot influence the results. We are dedicated to unbiased reporting.

Further, Andrew and I play golf, but we NEVER disclose the clubs we play. We do not play favorites. Period. I wrote an article to that effect on our site.

We recently had a series of calls with some major (and minor) manufacturers to answer questions as why their clubs did not test well. Simply put, the testers did not like the clubs. Does that make us popular with manufacturers? Not really, but our job is to provide golfers with the most unbiased test information available.

I really hope this brief explanation helps you better understand Rankmark. We really strive to produce unbiased reporting.

Thanks for providing me with the opportunity to respond and contribute to the discussion!

All the best,

Paul McCormack
COO
Rankmark

Paul McCormack

Mar 30, 2009
Mr McCormack,

First of all, let me me formally welcome you to Shottalk! We appreciate your audience and even moreso that you signed on to participate.

Now that we have that aside, I have to eat some crow.

My original comments were my error - I had mistakenly confused Golf Magazine's club ranking system with Rankmark. :( However, after doing some review of my misleadings, I'm impressed with what your group is trying to accomplish - to a degree.

While all tests like this are subjective, the neverending saga of being properly fit for a driver/club is always on the forefront. Taking any off the rack club and expecting it to fit a large audience of players is ridiculous. I've maintained for many years that the stock, OEM shaft offerings slapped into any driver or off the rack club fits only a select few players. So, a test of this sort is somewhat a selection of ill-fit drivers/clubs to players that either have no business hitting that shaft/head selection, or they don't know enough about the club/shaft fitting process to care. Which leads me to believe that you're going to be having selections made off advertising and personal preference.

Without a blind test and exact setups matching players/testers accross the board, the process is ultimately flawed.

While I can appreciate what your group does, and caters to a large audience of weekend warriors, it still remains no different than any other ranking system out there (save: Golf Digest and Golf Magazine and the idiotic methods they use).

I am glad to see that you are including some of the smaller component groups, some of which produce some of the best equipment available.

I hope you can lend your abilities and expertise on the testing realm to the forum. God only knows we have alot of guys here that expect leaps and bounds from the next batch of technology that comes out every year (or every 3 weeks in the case of TaylorMade. :ugly25:).

I would like to point out that my feelings on the testing procedures undertaken by Rankmark and any other testing case should not take away from my earlier mistake - I'll own up to that straight away. :)

Take care, and congrats on your success with Rankmark!

Regards,

Thomas
Rockford35

Rockford35,

Thank you for such a warm welcome. Moreover, I am thankful that you confused Rankmark with someone else. Glad to know that we are not the "other guy" :p

You raise some very interesting points re off the rack versus custom fitting. Custom fitting if performed correctly can yield great results. That said, not all club fitters are created equal. The level of education training and oversight in many stores is less than optimal. Further, depending on how the sales person is compensated, you may receive custom fitting that ultimately results in being sold a club(s) that yields the highest commission / spiff / atta boy(girl) for the salesperson. However, no argument from me; I agree that custom fitting can yield great results.

Truth is, currently, most people do not receive custom fitting. I have spent many hours (for work you understand :)) in golf stores watching golfers pick product. I often chat with them to find out how they pick clubs. The answers run the gamut: my buddy recommended this club, it looks cool, Tiger plays this club (no joke), I read a review, cool ad on golf channel etc.

Rankmark's goal is help to educate golfers and provide a start point (and an end point for many) in their quest to find a club that will work for their game. As a consumer, golfers are faced with very slick marketing campaigns. They face a multitude of choices. If I don't want to spend the time money on custom fitting, which ads do I believe? Are the ads true? (I'll leave you to answer that one on your own :ugly25:)

Rankmark cuts through the marketing hyperbole to provide unbiased, clear cut information on which club may work for your game.

As we all know, the number of people playing golf is really not growing. If the additional time and expense associated with custom fitting is required to enter the game, I fear that we will lose new golfers to the game. If, and when custom fitting takes hold with the majority, Rankmark will be positioned to respond (hint: we have plans to be part of the movement :prop:)

As for testers picking clubs based on advertising and personal preference. You will note that a number of lesser known brands placed very high in the 2009 driver test, the 3 wood test and the wedge test (Fourteen, Yonex to name just two).

In fact, I talked to a number of testers that stated that they had not heard of a particular brand before the test. After playing the unknown club, they loved it. Brand loyalty is present in testers, certainly, but from my personal experience, it is not such a significant factor that makes the results inherently flawed.

As for lending my experience to the forum, I would be happy to do so. I do not pretend to have all the answers, nor do I believe that Rankmark is perfect. However, if I can help golfers enjoy the game more having selected clubs that bring out the best in their game, I am a happy man.

Thank you for being so quick to correct your comments. I truly appreciate your response.

All the best,

Paul McCormack
COO
Rankmark
:sc:

P.S. Love the Scotland flag.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I've got to say, trolls questioning the review could've just ignored it. :p TROLLS!

I thought it was pretty good, though it makes me want to try that FT-iQ...which...must...resist...

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
I've got to say, trolls questioning the review could've just ignored it. :p TROLLS!

I thought it was pretty good, though it makes me want to try that FT-iQ...which...must...resist...

Jeff, it is quite a club, especially if a more boring trajectory fits your game. The dang club was just straight, straight, straight.

My next will probably be the FT-9, but the Cally booth was certainly the most active as the day wore on. At first everybody ran to the TM booth for the R9, but towards the end you would see multiple guys hitting the FT-IQ MULTIPLE times as if they were comparing it to the other drivers.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I am bit biased but the 07 Burner is a fantastic club. I regretted selling my 1st one & will not ever sell my current one.

Wi-Golfer

But I thought the FTi was THE driver of choice now... :)

(Trade you a 10º FTi for your 11º FTi)... :D

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

🔥 Latest posts