• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My first lesson, should have happened sooner.

MadHacker

Jan 27, 2009
I recently started playing a lot more golf and have really started working on my full swing,but each time I go out I forget something that I have previously learnt.It is so frustrating, it is not uncommon for me to get to the end of a round and start palying beautifully beacuse I have justremembered what I wasnt doing.Like last weekend I realised I wasnt sticking my butt out to help with keeping my posture the same throughout the swing.Which really helped me the week before.I just cannot seem to put it all together at the one time.Each week I work on a new thing like keeping my hands in front of the ball for example and something like hitting into a firm left leg goes out the window and I am hitting fat and thin shots all day.
I think it is the pressure of playing competition golf as well as not having these things programmed into my brain yet.Wish I new a way to have a good checklist for everything I need to do.Because I am capable of putting together a few good holes or even a good 9 holes.But not 18 at this stage and still shooting in the high 90s

bryguy

May 15, 2008
More on the grip: best advice I ever got was to grip the club just hard enough to hold it at a 45 degree angle. Being able to hold it straight out in front of you (90 degrees) is too firm a grip. Holding it straight up in the air is not firm enough. Sometimes I go through all three positions, just to be sure I have the right amount of tension in my grip.
That is the same thing I do. Works out pretty well.

golfguy82

Dec 9, 2008
I am the Assistant Teaching Professional and head spammer at :diespam:. :diespam: King (Top 100 spammer) is offering his first book "You're NOT Spamming our Board" as a free download at :diespam:. This is a great read and this should show you what to expect from a great spammer. It also shows you what a bad spammer will teach. I hope that this is helpful and there are also free online :diespam: and Charlie's blog available too. Good luck!

You would do Charlie a much better service if you didn't spam our board.

OP
T

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Well, the golf gods got mad at me, and made me forget what that swing felt like during that lesson. Seriously though, I just cant translate that setup to longer clubs (mid hands, mid everything.. like a freethrow shooter)...

So I scrapped it, bought "Never Slice Again", and incorporated everything in the video. There were like 11 things, I probably did 5 of those things at a time in each swing.. too hard to do all of them... hell, even the video says to do things one at a time... but I dont listen too good.

The thing that has seemed (so far, much respect to the Golf Gods) to work is a deeeeep backswing with a slight move over the back knee (feels like a sway, but I dont feel like I am swaying back to my front foot on the forwardswing), and in the setup to have the back arm closer to the body than the lead arm. I also incorporated the grip, which is like 5Lessons, but with both hands turned over away from the target slightly... Well, the result was I was drawing like crazy... probably a little too much with longer irons and driver. With my irons, I gained a club up to the 5i... the 5i went barely further than the 6iron... I think its probably too soon to expect it all to work, also there are probably some setup adjustments needed for the longer stuff...

All in all, Im still swinging too hard, and this morning I woke up with pain in my front leg... that muscle you use to lift your leg and turn in your foot to play hackeysack, yeah, its very painful, it sucks... Gotta slow my swing down.

Hackin_Away

Feb 13, 2009
Yea i got some lessons comin up march 31st, 3 tuesdays thereafter. I also don't think i can re-invent my entire swing, haha. But i do hope he can help me cure what ails my swing as well. I think i too overgrip the club. If i make a mental note not too i often find i hit the ball better, but i need to make it HABIT, as i always don't remember it.

OP
T

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Yeah, I have many mental notes, but I seem to forget them and go from shot to shot... so Ill write them down here.

1. Hogan grip
2. square body setup
3. tilt spine away
4. Lead arm straighter, back arm bent
5. Slight kick forward of knee, start backswing
6. Deep, deep backswing
6. Swing smooth.

Of all these things, number 4 and 6 will take some range time.

🔥 Latest posts