• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My first reshafting project.

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Well, quite a freakin mess. Last week I did my first club. My sister broke her 3 wood, so I offered to fix it. After reshafting and slapping on a grip, I was feeling fairly confident. Hardest part was actually cleaning out the broken graphite shaft from the hosel.

So I just did my irons, and the ferrules were a bastard to get on. I figured out that I needed to eopxy the inside of the ferrule and shaft, then use another ferrule to press down on (pushing down on the shaft) and up slides the ferrule. Took me 2 ferrules to figure it out. I also realized that I should probably glue on the tip weights a day before putting on the head, and NOT at the same time... Those things just jammped up in the hosel a couple times, and my hands were pitch black by the time I was done with a few clubs. The club heads arent any cleaner.

The one thing I made sure was that inside the hosel was drenched with epoxy. I have a new found respect for clubmakers (assuming they stay clean working with epoxy). Is there a clean way to do things?

At least I know that the club heads have a 7 gram increment (thanks to the local weights and measures Dept scale)

In conclusion: it was fun.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Good for you for giving that a go. I've done some clubs from scratch but haven't done a reshaft.

I'm sure LyleG will chime in with some building advice but my advice to keep yourself clean would be to pick up some disposable latex gloves.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
well at least you tried LOL.

I use 5 minute set tour epoxy when I install tip weights. I then place them near a 400watt halogen work lamp for 5 minutes. This sets them more than enough to allow a smooth install. Be sure to scuff up and clean the weight with acetone prior to install. Same goes for the inside and outside of the shaft tip, and the inside of the hosel. Abrade and clean for the best adhesion.

With ferrules I always roll up a piece of sand paper and give the inside of the ferrule a few good turns. This allows better adhesion with the epoxy and the shaft eliminating future ferrule creep. I then butter the inside of the ferrule with epoxy. This coupled with a bit of sanding allows the ferrule to slide up the shaft far easier. I use the club head it self if I need to ram the ferrule up a bit.
When you mix your epoxy make sure you use the exact same amount of both parts. Stir it up for at least a minute and then let it sit for about 30 seconds and stir it again for a few seconds.
Dip the bottom 1/4 inch of the tip into the epoxy mix so you have a ball of epoxy on the tip. It should be uniformly round all the way around. Now carefully insert the shaft tip into the hosel. SLowly untill it bottoms out. Rotate the shaft as you do this to ensure the excess epoxy oozes out even around the whole shaft.
Now spin the shaft around a few times, pull it part ways out and so on. Basically you are spreading the epoxy around the entire inside of the hosel and shaft tip.
With a dry paper towel wipe off whatever has oozed out. It shouldnt be all the much.
Now pull the shaft out and inspect both pieces (shaft tip and hosel) for 100% epoxy coverage.
Now tip the bottom 1/2 of the tip into a jar of glss shafting beads. Do this very quickly. Just a fast in and out.
Now reinsert the shaft into the hosel. Seat the shaft by banging the butt on the floor as you hold the head and shaft securely.
Now with a paper towel that has a tiny bit of solvent on it (not acetone) clean up any spill over epoxy on the head, shaft or hosel.

Set aside to cure. Once cures finish the ferrule, cut to length and put on a grip.

With epoxy you dont want to use a rediculous amount. A thin layer of epoxy adheres betters than a thick one. The key is to have all the parts abraded and really clean.

Good luck.

OP
T

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Crap, I think I forgot to abrade the shaft :real angry: :(

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Crap, I think I forgot to abrade the shaft :real angry: :(

You're not going to like that at some point in time... epoxy won't adhere well (if at all) to the paint on a graphite shaft or (worse yet) chrome on a steel shaft. It's just too slick.

The head will probably come loose and maybe even fly off. At least it will be an easy re-shaft... :laugh:

Great tips Lyle! I pretty much follow all the same steps and methods you do. Everyone that's doing their own shafting should read them if nothing more as a refresher on how to "do it right".

OP
T

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
The one graphite shaft I did , I remembered to abrade the tip and use da beads. (following Lyle's advice from another thread).. But I didnt remember to do that for my irons (steel shafts)... I guess its time to fire up the mini torch.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Lyle has it right, shouldn't have too much excess epoxy on the head after setting it in place. As far as abrasion of the shaft, it is a very important part of the process, I would suggest pulling them and reinstalling just to make sure that they are on securely.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I agree, I was a little taken aback by your description of the mess. Hope you got it cleaned immediately, if not, you already know why I suppose. :laugh:
I go a little overboard since having a head fly off, that was due to a $hit adaptor for a shim install though. I actually used a very small file to crosscut the tip on the Diamana I just put in. I was a little worried as the tip seemed like it had been sanded down quite a bit by the previous owner. I cut 1/2" off anyway so had that extra 1/2" of "new prep" up top. It gets easier and easier. My first time was a little messy (always is I hear :laugh: ) but this last one was super easy. I've changed lightbulbs that were more trouble.

OP
T

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
Before installing the grips today, I tried to pull the shaft and I basically gave it LOTS of heat (mini torch), and it wouldnt budge. None of the clubs would twist off, not even with me, wife and sister all trying to twist them off.. no luck. Maybe I put on too much epoxy :p
Hopefully I learned my lessons (cept about the mess part, I cant change a life long habit).

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I found the mess part is easily solved by just having what you need at hand in the order you need it. I just layout some old newspaper flyers on the table and set everything up like an assembly line, goes a lot smoother.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.