• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Friday afternoon skive....

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I was at Direct golf today on my friday afternoon skive to pick up a new footjoy rain grip. Whilst I was in there I was having a go with the New Scotty DeTour putter. A Sales guy came over and started talking to me, he asked what putter I was currently using and I told him a Scotty Bullseye. He laughed and said he used an original Bullseye about 20 years ago but wouldn't be able to use one now. We got talking and I mentioned the John Letters Golden Goose putter which basically is the same as the Bullseye and I've heard different stories about which is the original design and who copied it. He told me that they (direct golf) had bought the John Letters brand when they were in reciever ship. I told him that they should make the most of the brands history and re-introduce a Golden goose range. He said that he had designed some irons for them already. He took me to a rack with the John Letters irons on. He pulled a Forged cavity blade iron from the rack and asked for my opinion. It looked very simlar to the original Nike Pro Combo mid irons and it felt good when I had a go in the nets, quality for £299. I asked how he came about designing clubs for them still thinking he was sales staff? He told me that he was the owner of direct golf and when he purchased the John Letters brand they were only making box sets, hence recievership. One of the main things he did was to make the range cover from Players irons to newcomers irons. He said that he had been to Japan and found a decent forging company that were producing the clubs for him. The bloke was sound, you wouldn't have thought that he was the owner of the company he was down to earth & having a day on the shop floor. He told me he was now using the Adams Idea pro iron set. I pulled my face at the thought of him using Adams clubs when he could choose any brand. He went over to the Adams rack and brought back a 6 iron and a 3 hybrid. I was still pulling my face until I took a closer look. The 6 iron was fitted with TT Black gold shaft & the Hybrid had a Aldila VS proto for you shaft in as standard, wow top spec me now thinking. He 'talked' me into hitting a few and had me on the SS monitor (98-110 mph with a 6 iron, btw). The forged clubs felt nice but the 3 Hybrid was sensatinal. He told me he plays the 16 degree 1 iron replacement and ordered the store manager to go get one for me to hit. Whilst waiting he said that he hits the thing further than most people hit there drives & Wow this thing is the dogs. He then got onto the manager and told him to order a new 16 degree one as he was giving this one to me to take away to demo, cool. I then asked him when he would have the new X Forged in stock. He rang the Cally rep who told him that he had dropped two sets off for him at his main office that morning. Great stuff he tells me 'your gonna be the 1st customer to hit the X forged's' He then rings his office and asks somebody to bring the sets down. Ten minutes later there here. He introduces me to the 'somebody' who he ordered to bring the clubs down for me, this is my buying manager, my right hand man, I asked if he needed a left hand man, but just got a smile. We talked about the specs of the different clubs he had shown me and I was telling him about the different componants that where fitted in each club what steel different forged clubs where made from and what I thought of different clubs/shafts, He said that I knew more about equiptment then most of his staff and said he wanted my CV before I left. Anyway he unboxed the Cally's and I had a hit in the nets with them, superb. He told me that they would have a new laptop for the launch monitor this week and said to come back if I was intreasted and they would fit me up for a set. Anyway I logged onto there website and sent him an email with my details to see if he really wants my CV. (he did say it about 4 times in the 3/4 of an hour we were talking).

Oh BTW I played 9 holes after I got home and the Adams Hybrid, superb, long straight penatrating ball flight. I hit every fairway I had a go with it on and about 220-230 yards which isn't bad considering how much rain we've had today and there was no roll, just need a Callaway sticker to put on the sole. ;)

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Lol, what a story !! :D

I want to get back into golf retail, me. Saw an advertisment for Direct Golf jobs and they were claiming sales advisors can make up to 25K, which is extremely good, especially for retail !

Thinking about moving back to England, like. Always fancied marrying a Mancunian girl, y'know..:)

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Lol, what a story !! :D

I want to get back into golf retail, me. Saw an advertisment for Direct Golf jobs and they were claiming sales advisors can make up to 25K, which is extremely good, especially for retail !

Thinking about moving back to England, like. Always fancied marrying a Mancunian girl, y'know..:)

Strange that i've always fancied an Irish lass, we should do a trade.

The lads at Direct golf may earn a nice crust but they work long hours & there's not much time for playing, sat & sunday are there most busy times. You should get back into it though, I bet the day passes quicker doing something you like rather than something you don't. Get over here quick and you can join our place there's no joining fee at the moment. come to think of it our pro might need a new assistant, intreasted......?

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
John Letters F7 by any chance? I am looking at forged irons and cavity-blade irons now, and they looked really nice. What's the top line like, cause I liked the look of them but wasn't sure if they were still a little bit clunky.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
John Letters F7 by any chance? I am looking at forged irons and cavity-blade irons now, and they looked really nice. What's the top line like, cause I liked the look of them but wasn't sure if they were still a little bit clunky.

Yes the F7's they are basically the same as the original Nike Pro combo's. They have a nice clean look, I wouldn't describe them as cluncky at all, but other 'true' blade players may. I'd definetly recommend having a hit of them though as they did feel sweet and they have decent True temper shafts and golf pride grips so they are very well made, have a look for yourself......

http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/product/tour.asp?product_ID=3238&product_view=2

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Aye Paul, that does sound tempting, I must say. Have a chat to him sure ;) Still have a lot of mates from Preston & Leeds areas, so would be appealing in that regard for sure.

Selling phones is alright and there is good commission and benefits, but there is just an unreal amount of **** to know and learn about, its crazy. Know and love the golf equipment world. :)

Am currently filling out an application for Nationwide. Good firm to work for, too. Golf is my love and passion, though...:)

🔥 Latest posts