• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My "fun" Friday....

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Have worked in and around the construction industry for over 40 years. It's a dangerous industry. I've suffered a number of broken bones and other minor injuries over the years. Nothing more serious than a shattered leg in 1977 when I slid off an ice-covered roof in January and landed on frozen ground.
The General Contractor on the project I've been looking after has a stringent hard-hat policy. I don't like to wear a pot, but will abide by the wishes of the particular contractor's safety policy. Electrician was finishing up some work on the plant building roof. 20 FT fiberglass extension ladder that he did not tie off. I walked through a doorway from inside the building to outside the building just as the wind caught the extension ladder. A worker saw what was happening, but hollered too late. The falling ladder hit me square on top of the head. If I would have had more warning and got an arm up, probably would have broken the arm. If I wouldn't have had my hardhat on, probably wouldn't be typing this. Being somewhat rebelious about wearing hardhats, you're supposed to get a new one every three years. My pot had a 1981 certification stamp in it. The ladder hitting on top of my pot snapped the head band, shoving my head up into the webbing. The pot sorta came down over my ears. But, the webbing cushioned the blow and protected the head. Drove home Friday with a pretty sore/stiff neck. Took a couple Advil before going to bed. Woke up yesterday with zero pain in the neck or head area. Wife has always complained about my being hard-headed. Guess she must be correct!!!!!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Have worked in and around the construction industry for over 40 years. It's a dangerous industry. I've suffered a number of broken bones and other minor injuries over the years. Nothing more serious than a shattered leg in 1977 when I slid off an ice-covered roof in January and landed on frozen ground.
The General Contractor on the project I've been looking after has a stringent hard-hat policy. I don't like to wear a pot, but will abide by the wishes of the particular contractor's safety policy. Electrician was finishing up some work on the plant building roof. 20 FT fiberglass extension ladder that he did not tie off. I walked through a doorway from inside the building to outside the building just as the wind caught the extension ladder. A worker saw what was happening, but hollered too late. The falling ladder hit me square on top of the head. If I would have had more warning and got an arm up, probably would have broken the arm. If I wouldn't have had my hardhat on, probably wouldn't be typing this. Being somewhat rebelious about wearing hardhats, you're supposed to get a new one every three years. My pot had a 1981 certification stamp in it. The ladder hitting on top of my pot snapped the head band, shoving my head up into the webbing. The pot sorta came down over my ears. But, the webbing cushioned the blow and protected the head. Drove home Friday with a pretty sore/stiff neck. Took a couple Advil before going to bed. Woke up yesterday with zero pain in the neck or head area. Wife has always complained about my being hard-headed. Guess she must be correct!!!!!
Damn Limp, glad to hear you're ok. Lesson learned?

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I've had a little newer hardhat in the basement for the last decade or so. Never knew when I would need protection for one of the wife's skillets. Have it in the truck. Will probably be "forced" to break it in. It's all shiney and new looking. Everyone will think I'm new, having just moved up from being a WalMart greeter!!!

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Glad to hear that you are OK.

I work with the construction industry and have heard several similar stories where PPE prevented a serious injury and several where PPE would have prevented the injury had it been used.

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
limp- If something happens to you, I call dibs on the Ping horde.;)
Sometimes I think my son-in-law would stop at nothing to shorten my life span just so he could "attack" our basement and cart off the Ping stash!!!!

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Sometimes I think my son-in-law would stop at nothing to shorten my life span just so he could "attack" our basement and cart off the Ping stash!!!!

I can secure that stash for you.......just send it all to me and I will assign you what you need periodically. This may be the only way to keep the SIL at bay and protect the years you have left.......

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
WBL and I are close to the same age. He may have me by a month or two. sssmokin is WBL's brother, I believe. Somewhere I got the idea they were twins. They're both "Cheeseheads" so are probably still hung over from lamenting the Packer's loss. One of them may have to chime in to set us straight. I just turned 68 this past November. I think most of the rest of you are just obstinate, immature youngsters!!!!

OP
limpalong

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
62 1/2 here...................def immature, not necessarily a youngster tho. ;)
Shoot! You're six years younger than I am. I could have kids as old as you!!!!

🔥 Latest posts