• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Game is Going to Pieces...

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
This summer, I started playing real good golf. I started off at 25 handicap, and have been improving so much that i'm down to 14 now. I was hitting my driver straight, irons beautifully, chipping great and holing putts from everywhere. I went out today and played terrible. I was hooking my short irons, slicing my long irons, duffing my utility wood, slicing my driver and 3 and even 4 putting some greens. In other words, my game has gone from brilliant to crap in one round of golf. I have no idea where it came from. I felt I was swinging the same as always, but I seem to be doing something wrong. Do any of you know why this could be happening?

slicerdude

Feb 17, 2006
hi scotty, maybe its just a Scottish thing, i`m from Glasgow and my game is a mess at you can probably tell from my thread, so i know exactly how you feel mate.

Sometimes golf is like that thought, you play great for a while and then you hit a real stinker and get real down about it, but just focus on positive thoughts, like the fact that you are playing well and try to keep those bad feeling to back of your head, because if you turn up at the 1st tee next time, and all your thoughts are still flooding you mind about your last outing then you will probably hit another stinker. So just chill as normal at the first tee, its a new scorecard. Good luck, stay positive.
:sc:

OP
Scotty01292

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
slicerdude said:
hi scotty, maybe its just a Scottish thing, i`m from Glasgow and my game is a mess at you can probably tell from my thread, so i know exactly how you feel mate.

Sometimes golf is like that thought, you play great for a while and then you hit a real stinker and get real down about it, but just focus on positive thoughts, like the fact that you are playing well and try to keep those bad feeling to back of your head, because if you turn up at the 1st tee next time, and all your thoughts are still flooding you mind about your last outing then you will probably hit another stinker. So just chill as normal at the first tee, its a new scorecard. Good luck, stay positive.
:sc:

Must be a scottish thing! I was talking earlier, and Adam doesn't seem to be playing too well recently either.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Look at the bright side scotty, you're still young.
I figure you have at least 50 more years of agony to go. :D

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Been there, done that. Many times. They say golf is like life. I don't exactly believe that, but I do know from experience that golf teaches you that no matter how much you think you are in control, it ain't your game. You're just along for the ride.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
As we say in here in the States "$hit Happens". I went to the range today and a golf club in my hands felt like a foriegn object. I should be all over the place tomorrow. I think I'll be using my new 4wood off the tee to be safe on many holes. I kept skying my drives and out of about 35-40 balls I hit maybe 3 that wouldn't have been total crap on the course. Keep playing and you'll work your way through it. I've found it to be very true you sometimes take a step back in order to go forward.

trob

Apr 2, 2006
I know exactly why!! It's because golf is a bitch! Hope that helps...

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Two things. First, I went to the range the other day and couldn't hit well, swing felt akward and bad tempo, and was discouraged. Next day I shot a 1 under 71.

Also, sometimes you just play bad. It's odd, and usually has no reflection on your game itself. Believe me, I still mix in an 80-82 every once in a while. I don't get too hard on myself though, I just go back out there and keep it at.

P.S. If you're trying too hard to fix it, don't. At our age muscle memory works a bit stronger so just relax and swing the way you know you can.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Just wanted to make you feel a little better. I got dropped to a 12.5 cap a few weeks back and went out this afternoon. I swear the course was just playing against me. I paid dearly for just about every off shot. I played 27 holes and shot 47-49-47. That's my usual routine though, if it stays true to form I'll shoot 88-84-81-78 over the next 2 weeks. :) Don't you just love this game.

🔥 Latest posts