• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Golf Experiment

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
I was having a terrible round this weekend and when I got to 17 I decided I was going to play the rest of the round with only my 7 iron just to see what happens. I figured it couldn't be any worse than how I was playing and my 7 iron was the only club I was hitting well.

The 17th hole is a 380 yard par 4. After 2 good shots I left myself about 25 yards off the green. I played a bump and run on my 3rd shot and was about 5 feet from the hole. I lipped out putting with the 7 iron and ended up with a bogie. Not bad for me at all. 18 is a 502 yard par 5 with a dogleg to the right. My first shot found the center of the fairway. I crushed my 2nd shot over some trees and cut out a big part of the dogleg leaving myself about 115 yards to the green. This would have been a perfect pitching wedge for me but using the 7 iron I tried to take some off of it and hit it thin leaving myself in the back bunker. With a bad lie it took me two shots to get out of the bunker and on to the fringe. I chipped it 3 feet from the hole and made my putt for a double bogie.

Now I am thinking of continuing this little experiment and playing my next round with only 5 clubs. I am thinking of using just my 4 hybrid, 7 iron, 9 iron, sandwedge, and putter. I think doing this might help me learn to play some different shots with each club and get a little more creative. I will have to play the game differently and I think it will help my course management and provide some new fun challanges. If this works ok I am thinking of doing it again the next round but changing up some of the clubs and using a few clubs that I don't hit as well so I can gain some confidence.

Has anybody here done anything like this before? If so, how did it work out? Is anybody else up to the challege? Your thoughts?

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I've heard this type of story many times and it usually leads to the result you experienced.....fairly good scores, much more control and GIR's...

If your hybrid is reliable off the tee and you can hit a 4 iron well...you should be able to reach any/all par 5's in three and the vast majority of Par 4's.

Give it a go and let us know how it comes out for you...

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Never tried it. Whats the point in ho'ing if you not going to carry the clubs? :D

Quite frankly, I am not good enough to pull off all the shots required if I had to play a single club or limited clubs. I am still working on trying get as consistant as possible with the swing and changing out the clubs depending on distance.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
It's been a few years but I have played with a 7 iron and a putter a few times. Similar result to yours. The way I played yesterday I think I should try it again.

jkilla217

May 25, 2007
i work at the golf course late and when its not busy i sneak out and play with 1-3 clubs all the time.....me and the other kid i work with both shot 40s with only a 7 iron about two weeks ago

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
if you gave me 3wood, 5iron, 8iron, 54*, and putter, i bet i could play just as well as with 14 clubs, and maybe go sub 80.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Never tried it. Whats the point in ho'ing if you not going to carry the clubs? :D

Quite frankly, I am not good enough to pull off all the shots required if I had to play a single club or limited clubs. I am still working on trying get as consistant as possible with the swing and changing out the clubs depending on distance.

I am backing Tim here, I got 16-17 clubs that I like, dammit I am going to carry them, the reality is that most of them seem not to like me, but thats old hat for a married man.:laugh:

🔥 Latest posts