• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Golf Swing Video

Jsaw

May 29, 2005
A couple of weeks ago I posted about possibly losing distance on my drives because my Driver Shaft being to stiff. After a few replies LyleG requested a video of my swing; well now I have some. Below is a link to my original post referring to this. Also 4 links to videos of my swing; 3 from face view and 1 from the back. Maybe these can help answer my original post and I'm also open to any helpful opinions about my swing from anybody.

Thanks,

http://www.shottalk.com/forum/shot-talk/11083-driver-shaft-question.html#post117526

YouTube - GolfSwing1

YouTube - GolfSwing2

YouTube - GolfSwing3

YouTube - GolfSwing4

P.S. You may see the next Tiger Woods run into the video on Swing 4.
Ha Ha:laugh:

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Setup: you have a mis alignment of your feet and shoulders feet aiming right, shoulders aiming down the line

Backswing:there is a very quick move to the inside with the club and hands resulting in a very flat plane halfway back and an already large shoulder turn, the hands and arms then migrate up the chest a bit whilst you are still turningwhich will not create any resistance and also results in the club being way across the line

Downswing: resultant from your backswing position the club is delivered from way inside the required path and also the shaft steepens naturally due to the extreme flat plane on the way back, so i would guess you hit plenty of push shots and when you do get it square you hit a draw and when your timing is off it is a big hook.

Cures

Align everything up parallel and not at odds with each other

by doing this put a shaft along the line of your feet to make sure you are paralell to your aim line.

this shaft has multi use, on your takeaway try and get your club to match this club at hip height, and not be whipped miles inside the normal path.

i have asked numerous people on here to do this drill, put the butt end of the shaft into your belly button and grip as far down the shaft as comfortable ,take the club away to hip height and keep the butt in your belly button, this will teach you linkage and also lessen your inside takeaway and get the club starting more on line.

Because of your build i would suggest that you dont need to make a full backswing to create power, your power can come from maintaining width in your swing so after doing this drill i would work on getting the distance between your hands and your chest to a maximum and maybe only making a 3/4 swing.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I see a couple of things here:

1. Watch your right leg and see how your knee completely loses its flex. In fact, it actually moves backwards as the club reaches the top of the backswing. This is a major power loss, as you lose the possibility of creating any torque with your body. You believe that you are "winding up", when it fact you are just rotating. Bend those knees. Work on keeping the right knee stable throughout the backswing. Have a friend watch you swing and give you some feedback about that one thing. If you look at the shot from behind, you will see that the shaft goes well across the line (head points well right of the target line) at the top of the backswing. The ideal is to have the shaft pointing right down the line. At this point, you should be feeling maximum torque in your right thigh and lateral abdominal muscles. You don't have any torque in your right thigh (because the knee dissipates it), and you overswing to get to the "top". Work on this, and I think you will have no problem swinging a stiff shaft.

2. Your address posture could use some work. It looks like the head of the club is nailed into the ground, and you are leaning backwards, holding onto the shaft to keep from falling on your butt. Stand up a bit straighter from the hips and relax a little. Let your spine be just a little less rigid. Keep your weight flexed a bit more on the balls of your feet. You want to feel like a second baseman, waiting for the pitch. You hands are a bit far from your body - that should get better when you stand up some.

Things I like:

You turn your shoulders back and through quite nicely - even if you are over-rotating and relying on that shoulder turn a bit too much.

The follow-through looks pretty good. I like the way the club lays across your shoulders.

Hope this helps - and please keep in mind that I'm just offering observations. I'm not a teaching pro, like some of the guys on this forum. But those who who know me here know that sometimes I think I am...:laugh:

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
All of the above but to my mind the one thing that needs addressing more than any other is that enormous over rotation of the shoulders, instead of 90degrees that must be a turn of 140! I've never seen a turn that big before, surely the chances of coming back to the start point at speed are minimized by doing that and any minor club face alignment flaw would be massively exaggerated.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
The first thing I noticed was where that left heel starts at address, and where it ends up coming down as the swing comes through - must move about 4 inches back and inside from its original position.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
As you know from seeing your own swing now on video, it's far from what you see on TV. Take some of the suggestions above, get the backswing low, slow and in one piece, wind up over the right leg, drop in and release. I say to myself "back, pause, pull". As far as shaft I'd say just use whatever the club comes with. Work on the swing a bit and get somewhat consistant ballflight, then you can tell what shaft you'll need.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
I agree that there is an over rotation in the golf swing shown and that is why i suggested a lot more width and a 3/4 backswing the drill i sugessted was to encourage the correct takeaway and shorten his arm swing therefore lessen his his overall rotation.

OP
J

Jsaw

May 29, 2005
Thanks for the info so far. I would like to explain myself on a couple of things though. The mis-allighned feet; the only reason I do this is because about 6 months ago I began slicing the ball and this guy I was playing in a tournament with suggested as a quick fix to place my right foot about 3 to 4 inches outside of my left foot after alignment. This seemed to have cured the slice right away and I just kept doing it (it might just be in my head now). About my left heel moving 4 inches back and inside from its original position; I don't think that happens when I have my spikes on but I'll definitely look into it.

Thanks

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
charnock - check your PM's please when you get a moment.

Thanks!

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Thanks for the info so far. I would like to explain myself on a couple of things though. The mis-allighned feet; the only reason I do this is because about 6 months ago I began slicing the ball and this guy I was playing in a tournament with suggested as a quick fix to place my right foot about 3 to 4 inches outside of my left foot after alignment. This seemed to have cured the slice right away and I just kept doing it (it might just be in my head now). About my left heel moving 4 inches back and inside from its original position; I don't think that happens when I have my spikes on but I'll definitely look into it.

As you say"quick fix" that itself should set alarm bells, it will quickly become ingrained and then as we can see from your swing it encourages the inside path of your takeaway and causes a numerous amount of problems, you should always try and get to the base of the problem as if you just apply a band aid eventualy it will slip off.

There could well be a link with the left foot movement and the mis-alignment of your feet as your body is telling you that you are aiming right and this is the defence mechanism to try and clear your left side.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
TAbout my left heel moving 4 inches back and inside from its original position; I don't think that happens when I have my spikes on but I'll definitely look into it.

The problem is more how you go right up onto the ball of your foot before planting your heel down so hard as you start to downswing.

If you don't put your heel back down in EXACTLY the same place it came from when you addressed the ball - and the video shows it dropping back and round about 4 inches - then you're effectively changing your address position mid-swing to something totally different to what you started with.

I honestly don't know of a single golfer who does that foot movement that HASN'T had it picked up by the teaching pro at their first lesson! I went with a list of things I didn't like about my game, and all the teacher did was work on me lifting my foot. Miraculously about 80% of the things on my list sorted themselves out as I got keeping that foot planted happening instinctively.

OP
J

Jsaw

May 29, 2005
What do you guys think about my shaft bend?? Do think its about right are should I go to a Reg Flex?? If so I might re-shaft this weekend as I work on some of your suggestions.

Thanks,

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
What do you guys think about my shaft bend?? Do think its about right are should I go to a Reg Flex?? If so I might re-shaft this weekend as I work on some of your suggestions.

Thanks,

Please read Ezra's advice...

As you know from seeing your own swing now on video, it's far from what you see on TV. Take some of the suggestions above, get the backswing low, slow and in one piece, wind up over the right leg, drop in and release. I say to myself "back, pause, pull". As far as shaft I'd say just use whatever the club comes with. Work on the swing a bit and get somewhat consistant ballflight, then you can tell what shaft you'll need.

Members online