• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My golfing buddies: my Better Judgement and the Grim Reaper

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
United States United States
Left or right my child?
I was thinking left, but my better judgement was thinking right, all the way.
You see I was playing a round of golf on the Bethpage Red course, in a threesome.
It was me, my BetteNudgement, and The Grim Reaper. It was Grimmy that had posed the question, left or right?
I analyzed the situation the best I could - being that I was pretty much incapacitated from the pain with with the Grim Reaper was casually coursing through my body.
Better Judgement said right, Grim Reaper said left, and I was undecided.
Perhaps I should explain the impact of this decision. I had (despite the agony I was feeling in my chest) hit a dandy shot to the par 3 fourth. A birdie was possible, and a par likely. So I wanted to putt out, then go left (per the GR's) advice down up the par 5 5th and the rest of the round. However, this was the last opportunity I would have this round to turn back and head back to the first hole,the clubhouse (a tiny little shed, about 1/16th of an inch it seemed off in the distance, and the sanctuary of my car and the means to escape the GR. If I turned left instead, each successive step would have brought me further and further from this salvation, until I played out on the 18th - many long and strenuous holes ahead.
As crazy as it may seem, I so wanted to go with the GR, and head out to the meat of the golf course. But then there was the incapacitating agony that had the potential of not only spoiling my round, but also making the GR my permanent golfing buddy.
I thought fast and decided for once go listen to my other playing partner - my Better Judgement. It's true that I normally tell this guy to put a lid on it, but in this one case, and although I was playing well, and had only just started the round, and had been looking forward to it, I decided to go with my BJ and headed back. And even so I barely made it.
So for this time, score 0 for the Grim Reaper, 1 for my Better Judgement, and I'm giving the whole trophy to me - because I decided which one to listen to - this time at least.
After i got back to my car I managed to get myself to the hospital where they put in a stent and told me I had a "massive heart attack", the type of which goes by the name "the widow maker". That's just another of the Grim Reaper's monikers. No matter what you call him, he's one bad dude. Watch out for him on the course - especially on hot days. And always bring your other partner - your Better Judgement along when you play - or when you are doing anything. He won't let you down.

Last edited:

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I am glad you made it through that one.

When I picked my clubs back up in 2009, the third hole of the second round I played was semi interrupted by the chief of police. He had parked his truck on the cart path. So up I drive and chief Steve Holt comes walking out so I say "Holt you are fat parking your truck up here".

So then he tells me this 88 year old dude with a weak heart died on the 17th tee. A high tee dropping far to a par three green thats very scenic. Holt said the women didnt want him to go but he wanted to go so there he was. I said to Holt how lucky that guy was to be where he was there are worse places to die.

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
I was thinking that there are worse places to hang up your spikes (soft of course) but then I thought of my wife at home and the many rounds yet to play, and let my better judgement make the call.
I'm 62 by the way.
Anybody finds a Pinnacle 2 on the back of the 4th green, BP Red, it's mine.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Shows how strong the lure of golf is. Heart attack v. chance of a par? An you have to consider it? Good tale dude, you made the right call.

OP
Libre

Libre

Jul 29, 2007
Country
Update:
I received a stent in my LAD artery.
I needed no open heart surgery - and thank the Golf Gods for that.
The incident happened on Saturday, and I returned home yesterday (Tuesday).
I feel great, and other than some nasty bruising from the angios, I'm ready to continue exactly where I left off, putting (or maybe chipping) for birdie on the par 3 fourth hole of the Bethpage Red course. But my Better Judgement and my cardiologist (not to mention my wife Robin) would all have a sh!t fit if I even tried, so I just have to console myself staying home from work and playing video games like Playstation3 TW Golf 2012 and practicing the guitar - and they can't even bug me (much) from work because I just had a heart attack - and they're concerned about me too, so they have to lay off.
Gee.
I can live with this.

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Awesome. I had a angiogram once and I dont know if many here really have seen bruises like that. Hang in there it gets better quickly.

🔥 Latest posts