• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My home course is short but tough.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Jayhawk,

If you think that 550 is long, try playing a 605 par 5, uphill, from the MIDDLE tee's at this course I play at.
550 doesn't bother me much if it is just one of them, except it is on almost all of them. I didn't used to have a problem with that when I hit the ball 265 with my driver and 240 with my 3w. Except to score on my old course I went down to 230 on my driver and about 210 on my 4w. I need to go back up a bit likely at the expense of some of the control I have now. Just spent a long time to get were I am at now. Used to playing courses where many of the par 5's are only 450-500.

On the flip side, I am very used to 200+ par 3's as that is a very common trait up here. Although on my new course there is only one that long on 27 holes. I play many courses where there are 3 on 18.

Just gonna have to figure how far I can go this year, as I really do not need all the control I have right now on this course. Just leary to do so as it took so long to go back. I also still play the other course a lot still, and have a weekly league there. Should be interesting.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
Kudos to you Jayhawk... I like the long par 5's personally, but the long par 3's.. you can have 'em!!!

There is one 200 yard par 3 at my home course, and it's level, kidney green, bunkers on 3 sides, and narrow. I push to the right bunker EVERY time, and only 3 times have I ever had a GIR there. Plainly put, I just about should skip it and give myself a 4-5 there all the time!

That, and honestly.. when I play a course that has more than 4 of the par 4's are over 490, they need to give it a break.. I rarely play the tips, but hell.

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
I think the definition of "tough" for most weekenders is what I like to call a "shot-makers" course. My home course is by far the hardest course we play the front is tight and you can only hit driver on 5,6 and 7. So you have to be able to place the ball off the tee. The back is much more open and you can bomb away easily 5-6 shots easier than the front.

We play two other courses one is really short but only has one reachable par 5 and is really wide open so you can drive it all over the place and still have a shot. The other is short and has 3 reachable par 5's but it is tight as hell and you have to be really careful off the tee or you are dead. So I think the tight course is much harder just because of how tight the course plays.

Jason

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Probably because a vast majority of golfers associate overall difficulty with the courses length. They have no idea what slope means. They think it is the amount of "up and down" a course has.

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I just know that if it's over 7100 yards, and around a 143, I'm gonna be lucky to get out of there with a 92 or better. :)

I've played a short course that was described as a "shot makers" course. Length wasn't needed but a few times, but your short game HAD to be on.

Hell, even one crappy local course will beat me down when my game is erratic-er than normal. :)

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
If you play my home course on a calm day (pretty rare), it's quite easy as long as you keep it in the fairway. A few short par 4's and only 6000 yards, Par 69. But seriously, try playing it in a 25/30 mph wind.

An amateur comp was played over it and another local course (longer at 6700 yards, Par 71, but more protection from the wind) last week, qualifying consisted of 1 round over each course, 16 best scratch scores got through to the matchplay.

On the monday night, over my course, the best score was a 72, on a flat calm night, as good conditions as you could ask for. The best score over the other course was 67.

Now these guys are all top players with about a dozen plus handicaps. On the tuesday night, 25 or so mph wind, a bit of rain. Best score round my course was 79. The other course with more protection, one guy shot a 65 round.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
Hawktree - 7,085 yards. 75 rating. 135 slope. It sounds worse than it really is. What is funny is that I generally score the same or sometimes better there than at the "short easy courses" in town because I get too cocky with the driver.

🔥 Latest posts