• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My Hot Stix Fitting at Golfsmith

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I went to Golfsmith today to get some grips. The Golfsmith in the Minneapolis area (Minnetonka) has done a huge renovation and are finally done with it.

As you may know, Golfsmith is putting Hot Stix fitting into all of their stores. I've known about Hot Stix for a while now and thought it'd be really cool to get fitted. So now that they are done with the renovation, I decided I'd do a driver fitting just for fun.

For a driver fitting, it's $50. I believe an iron fitting is $50 and a true ball fitting is $20 at this time.

The guy running the tests gave me an iron to warm up with, and I hit about 20-30 balls. It was a Taylor Made RAC OS. If you can get over the HUGE topline, the ball seems to jump of the face. I was quite impressed. Anyway, that's neither here nor there.

They were using Callaway HX tours, I believe, during the fitting. They all have lines around them so the camera can pick up the spin.

In a driver fitting, Hot Stix supplies the ONE "Hot Stix Driver". I guess the driver is a constant nationwide so that when you hit the shots with it, they can gather the data, and be able to tell you what to use. It seemed like a Launcher head though. No name brand on the head or the shaft.

So I was warmed up and it was time to hit the drivers. He had me hit 15. After each shot, the data would come up on the big screen. Clubhead speed, ball speed, launch angle, projected carry yardage, ball spin and a few more.

After I had those 15 swings in the computer, I could see a chart of basically a dispersion pattern of where the balls ended up according to the computer. I wanted to see what driver Hot Stix would recommend for distance. We took the top 5 longest and averaged them and then had Hot Stix make a recommendation.

I had Hot Stix make 3 recommendations.

1st: Cleveland Launcher Ti460 10.5* Stiff with a Cleveland Silver stock shaft (Fujikura)

2nd: Taylor Made R5 Dual 10.5* Draw Bias with a Stiff shaft. (Can't remember the recommendation, should have written it down)

3rd: Callaway Fusion FT-3 10.0* Neutral Bias with a Stiff shaft. (Again I don't remember the recommendation)

I didn't really look at the 2nd and 3rd very closely as I was pretty much set on the first suggestion. I was stunned that Hot Stix wants me playing the Ti460, not the Comp, in 10.5* with the STOCK SHAFT!!!

A little about the data that got me these recommendations:

On my top 5 longest swings, I had an average clubhead speed of 103. About what I thought. On all 15 swings, it only varied from 102-105.

My launch angle for all 15 swings was an average of 12.16*. Your optimum angle is usually between 15-18. My launch angle for the 5 longest was 13.66 average. Better angle, same speed, more carry. Being that my longest drives were still less than a 15* angle, I'm sure that's why Hot Stix made the recommendation of 10.5*'s.

My carry average for my top 5 swings was 263 yards. My average spin of the top 5 was 2536 RPM's.

Now, I feel I hit the ball HIGH. My last 4 drivers have been, 9*, 9.5*, 8.5* and 8*. And I've never had a problem hitting it high. I really don't know what they want me to do. Hit it to the moon, straight up, then let it fall back to earth?

But, the numbers don't lie. I was actually quite pleased that the software recommended a driver I can pick up on Ebay for less than $200 usually. I can get one, test it against my Tour Exotics 9*, and make my decision. But Hot Stix wouldn't recommend it if the data didn't back it up.

I didn't do a formal ball fitting. The ball Hot Stix recommended based on my stats was the V1x. That's the ball I already play. For a cheaper ball, it recommended the Nike Power Distance Super Soft. Hey! That's my back-up ball! LOL!

So at least I've been helping my game as much as I can ball-wise.

In a formal ball fitting, you'll bring in your clubs that you actually play with, and make a bunch of swings, then they'll recommend a ball based on those stats. At least this is how it was explained to me.

I am quite interested to do an iron fitting now. I doubt I will, but it'd be nice to know what Hot Stix would recommend.

What a terrible technology to give a club ho. :)

Anyway, that's my experience. I'd highly recommend doing it. If you do, don't be a dumbass such as myself and forget everything. Have them print stuff out, or at least write down all the recommendations, clubhead, shaft, ball, and all 3 or 5 or how many you have them suggest. I had my two kids with me, and they were a little antsy to get out of there (4yo and 2yo) to go to Toys-R-Us next door. Plus my head was swimming with all the stats and the shock that Hot Stix recommended 10.5* across the board. I absolutely couldn't believe my launch angle was that flat.

The numbers don't lie.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Stock shaft... For $50 I want to see like a Diamana Redboard or something crazy lol. I wouldn't mind trying it out but seems a bit steep for price. Besides isn't buying 7 different drivers every year more fun :)

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
That is very cool

Now I just need them to build a Golfsmith up here.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Augster said:
What a terrible technology to give a club ho. :)

What a GREAT technology to give a club ho. That way, you can go out, find what you need, and never look back.

I need to get Hot Sticked. (Insert joke here).

Great review.

R35

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Yeah but the flipside

Is that they give you multiple club suggestions. A #1, a #2, a #3, and if the first one isn't what you thought it should be you're off to buy #2 and so on. Think about that when your shelling out 500 bucks on the #1 set of Irons, and in the back of your head you're thinking, what if #2 is the better set for me.

OP
Augster

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Davebud, that's exactly the way I saw it. LOL! Make 2 bad swings in a row after buying #1 and it's time to start thinking about getting #2. :)

I am really hoping Hot Stix will curb my hoing, but it's a disease that needs to be treated.

Hopped on Ebay and got a brand new 2006 Launcher Ti 460 10.5* stock stiff (silver) shaft for $191 delivered. Now I just have to wait a week. LOL! Man I love Ebay.

I'm planning on pitting the Ti460, exactly the club Hot Stix said I should have, against my 9* Exotics with the Prolaunch Blue stiff. I'll give the Launcher every chance to make it into my bag. It should be a good competition. I haven't owned a 10.5* since God knows when. 1996? 1995? It has to be over a decade and the clubhead was probably less than 300cc's. LMAO!

Also, I remembered, the #2 ball it suggested was the Srixon Z-UR. I have never tried it, nor had I heard about it before the suggestion.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
How in the heck can you want anything "better" than the Exotics?
Man, that thing just kills the ball!

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Augster said:
I haven't owned a 10.5* since God knows when. 1996? 1995? It has to be over a decade and the clubhead was probably less than 300cc's. LMAO!

Augster - A clubfitter told me that there is a huge difference between a 10.5 degree club from 1995 and one made today. The new (huge) heads are specifically designed to impart a lot less backspin on the ball. Thus the loft is increased to compensate for the loss of lift. Also, modern balls spin a lot less than the old balata's.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Augster said:
My launch angle for all 15 swings was an average of 12.16*. Your optimum angle is usually between 15-18. My launch angle for the 5 longest was 13.66 average. Better angle, same speed, more carry. Being that my longest drives were still less than a 15* angle, I'm sure that's why Hot Stix made the recommendation of 10.5*'s.

The numbers don't lie.

Ummm... I am fairly certain the best launch angle is between 10 to 15, not 15 to 18.
I can mishit a 10 degree and it'll still go farther than a good hit 18.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Loop said:
Ummm... I am fairly certain the best launch angle is between 10 to 15, not 15 to 18.

Unless your swingspeed with the 18* is 140mph....

R35

OP
Augster

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Loop said:

Yeah, you're right. When I talked to the guy he said around 15, and I thought I had read 15-18 somewhere, but it was actually 13-15. From Consumer Reports:

"The optimum launch angle off a driver (about 13 to 15 degrees) and spin rate (2,200 to 2,800 rpms) are the tour pros’ domain."

My RPMs were right in that range, and my average was just over 13, with my "long" swings, so the fitter wanted me to get up closer to 15.

I need to research this stuff a bit more before I get my launch monitor. :)

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Great review and very interesting reading. My only issue with this is that on any given day you will swing the club one particular way. My fear in getting analysed is that you get customised for the swing you have on THAT day. So you get the Launcher in 10.5 and first time you are out with it, your swing is off, the second time, it is the other way, etc. I would love to do this but perhaps take an average over 5 days. But that is $250, right? But at least that way you get a better idea of an average swing.

🔥 Latest posts