• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My lonely, amazing night of golf

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I'm finishing a project for work that takes me out of town for the week. I'm staying in a small town with a little hometown course. I let the crews go early so I had about an hour of daylight and slipped over to the course despite the cold and 25 mph wind. Nobody at the clubhouse, locked up. Nobody at maintenance shop, or range. So I just walked to the closest tee box and and decided to have some fun in the wind. First hole, par 5, wind across my face. Par. Next hole 170 yd par 3, wind in my face. I hit 3-wood over green. Bogey. Next hole 140 yd par 3. Elevated, dome shaped green. Wind across my face. I said to myself "don't play this hole you idiot, you'll just lose your ball". I address the ball with an 8 iron. Thought better of it, and grabbed the 9 iron. I aim way left of the green over this valley and just let it go. Hit it beautifully. Walk up and can't find my ball. Look all over and nothing. Before I leave I check the cup...and that's right...a hole in one! By myself. No witness. Strong wind cold weather. I'll probably never have another in my life and I had mine playing an incomplete round haha. I'm pumped now and play the next hole. 300 yds, wind to my back. Drive within 10 yds of the green, birdie. Next hole dogleg right 271 yds, wind diagonal. I cut the corner with my 3-wood and drive the green. Birdie. Last hole is a par 5 dogleg left into the wind and uphill. After two shots I'm still short of the green. I chip to 8" and tap in for another birdie. By then it was too dark and I left. So I shot 5 under in 4 holes! All alone. Best holes I'll probably ever play and nobody was there but the cold, wind, and a creeping darkness haha. How ironically appropriate.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I had almost the same thing happen on my hole in one but luckily the ranger was sitting up at the top of the hill watching. You still got one. And what a round you had!! :thumbs up:

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Only thing missing was Bill Murray and the lightning ;)

Awesome stretch there.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
Great story!

Same thing happened to me on our old course a few years ago...winds were gusting up to 40 mph and as far as I knew, I was all alone on the course on hole #16 and I aimed at LEAST 50 yards left of the green 168 yards away...the ball carried, floated back in...hit ground about 20 yards left, but hit something hard and richochet the ball 90* right and straight in the cup.

Like you, I thought "Great, no one to confirm it".

Luckilly, the club house manager was in his cart doing a check on the course to get everyone off as a tornado warning was in effect. and was making his way to me and saw the shot.

He told me to get my ass in the clubhouse and told him I'd be right there..he took off to the clubhouse and I continued on hitting fast and low punch shots the remaining two holes to complete my round.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
You're gonna SUCK next time out. Especially if you pay a lot for the round.

Being a true hacker...these are my fears exactly haha

I had almost the same thing happen on my hole in one but luckily the ranger was sitting up at the top of the hill watching. You still got one. And what a round you had!! :thumbs up:
Thanks J - I actually thought of your story when it happened and looked around...but I knew it was in vain...since I was the only pickup in the lot.

Only thing missing was Bill Murray and the lightning ;)

Awesome stretch there.

I thought of the same thing...and guess what. It was on that night and I watched it just laughing at that part. Had I died right then like that old man, it would have been with a smile on my face.

Strider

Mar 16, 2005
I thought of the same thing...and guess what. It was on that night and I watched it just laughing at that part. Had I died right then like that old man, it would have been with a smile on my face.

Actually, the Bishop didn't die after being struck by lightning, instead he became a crotchety old man..lol Anyways, congrats on the ace and the awesome story.

295yards

May 5, 2009
We were all there in spirit with you buddy!
You've got nothing to prove to anybody but yourself!!! And us :)

🔥 Latest posts