• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My name is Tiger Woods

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So my name is Tiger Woods. You may have heard of me, I play golf. I have fxxked up big time, but I am still the best golfer on the planet right now. My whole life from when I was a baby has been about the pursuit of winning golf tournaments. My dad has driven this into me from when I could first hold a club. Now my dad is gone. I’m a bit lost.

People think I have it so easy. Money, fame, beautiful wife and kids. I live on a pedestal, people look up to me as a role model. I am constantly in the spotlight. But I hate it. It’s my pursuit of winning golf tournaments that allows me to get over and through it. The fame does give me a few shots on the field every time I tee it up. It’s intimidation. But as much as I love that edge I hate the pressure of living under the spotlight. It’s something most people will never get close to understanding.

Since I was about 17 money has come as easy as winning golf tournaments. I have a bunch of cash and a lot of free time. Golf and exercise takes up 40% of my waking day. Drinking and drugs don't appeal to me, mostly because I know they will affect my performance. Gambling? Nah, not for me. Sex? Well, the temptations have been there from college, once you start it's hard to then say no.

Like any addiction the risks got higher and higher. I knew at some point I would get caught but I was blinded by the thrill of it. And I put a lot on the line, my marriage, my children, my business, my foundation, my friendships. And now I have lost most of that.

People make mistakes. Politicians, clergy, the man in the street all screw up. Over time people tend to forgive, but it seems for the time being I am being strung up and left to dry. Yes I deserve it, yes I screwed up. But all I want is for life to get back to some sort of normality. I am in a living hell right now.

Was I selfish? Yes of course, but I think you need to walk a mile in my shoes to understand what my life is actually like. As strong willed as I am on the course, I am weak willed in a lot of areas. But people get the two easily mixed up. They say I am an ambassador.

I have an armful of advisers telling me what to do. I have councilors, shrinks, lawyers and accountants all whispering in my ear. The media are on a feeding frenzy. It’s hard to know what to do next, I’m only human and all this stuff is really getting me down. I'm embarassed, lonely and depressed, but perhaps now I have hit rock bottom, the only way is up.

Yes, I don’t expect it to be easy. I know my next twelve months will be like a circus. It won’t be easy for me or my work colleagues. I often think about walking away. But as one colleague pointed out “golf needs Tiger Woods” and I need golf. That may again be viewed as selfish but all I really want to do is to get back to what I am good at. What I was put on this planet to do. My “team” advised me that Augusta was the best place to debut my comeback. Selfish or smart, I need a good tournament to deflect some fo the off course attention. I would love to prove them all wrong by winning it. Who knows, I have to get my head back in the game.

So judge me and ridicule me all you like. I am not the man you thought I was. I don’t need your love or your respect as a role model for fathers, husbands or kids. Just give me some space to repair the damage I have done to my family and close friends. And give me some space to play golf.

Respectfully

E. Woods

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
You know, if he actually feels that way, and wants to come back and just be a golfer, not try and portray the image of a role model and Mr. Perfect, I'd have no problems with it or him.

And since I know all the top executives for the television networks frequent this forum, if TW is in the lead, fine, center the coverage on him, but there are other golfers playing, how about we split the coverage up amongst all of them. I really don't want to see Tiger toss grass up in the air, take his practice swings, adjust his package, wipe his nose, drink water, ect...............................

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Well written IrishGolfer. It's a shame that all of these self-righteous, stone throwers refuse to put down their torches and pitchforks. I hope Tiger breaks his previous record for margin of victory this weekend. Although, win or lose, the stone throwers will still be there.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I really don't want to see Tiger toss grass up in the air, take his practice swings, adjust his package, wipe his nose, drink water, ect...............................

Indeed. That's what makes tournaments with Tiggy annoying. If he is leading or getting close, great, put him every time since he really does magic sometimes. But if he is struggling for the cut, let the other guys have their 5 minutes on air... and his haters will mark down at least 30%

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'm just curious, if you guys had a guaranteed way to exponentially increase your earnings by showing/selling a certain product, would you do it? Of course, that's all the networks do.

As for the OP, I wish you could get that to Tiger and have him say it in a press conference or something of that nature, very well put.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Indeed. That's what makes tournaments with Tiggy annoying. If he is leading or getting close, great, put him every time since he really does magic sometimes. But if he is struggling for the cut, let the other guys have their 5 minutes on air... and his haters will mark down at least 30%

No doubt X, I actually liked Tiger when he 1st came onto the scene, it was the networks seemingly 24/7 coverage of him that turned me away initially.

🔥 Latest posts