• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My new 55° Wedge

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Got a new wedge head from Monark Golf and a graphite shaft for it. Turned out pretty good (I think). Very nice looking head. Cost me less then $25 to build (had the grip).

20200804_185102.jpg
20200804_185112.jpg
20200804_185156.jpg
20200804_185228.jpg

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Will give it a go tomorrow. Took about an hour to put together.
Do you find graphite works well in your wedges? I'm just now trying graphite in my irons, but I've always been especially averse to graphite in wedges for some reason.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Do you find graphite works well in your wedges? I'm just now trying graphite in my irons, but I've always been especially averse to graphite in wedges for some reason.
I've got a pitching wedge, gap wedge and now this with graphite shafts. I don't notice any difference performance wise and they feel better. My 60° still has steel but I'm not liking it very much lately. I re-shafted all my irons with graphite this last winter and am getting about 5-10 yards more distance with them and they feel great. No loss in accuracy either. Maybe more accurate?

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
I've got a pitching wedge, gap wedge and now this with graphite shafts. I don't notice any difference performance wise and they feel better. My 60° still has steel but I'm not liking it very much lately. I re-shafted all my irons with graphite this last winter and am getting about 5-10 yards more distance with them and they feel great. No loss in accuracy either. Maybe more accurate?
Have only hit my new irons (with graphite) into net. I like the feel. Waiting to see if there is a distance gain. That wasn't the main reason for the switch, but if there's a distance increase, I won't give it back. :)

I suspect I'll order the gap wedge that matches the new irons I built, and build that in the same graphite. Might also order some nice forged lob and sand wedge heads and build those in matching graphite.

I'm open to recommendations on component forged wedge heads, if anyone wants to give them.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Well, lately I've had about 3-4 shots of 75 yards to the green per round but today only one, on the second to last hole, a par 5. I've had problems with this yardage as my chipping from that distance has been less then good and my gap wedge goes too far (about 85-95). My 60° only goes 50 so I've had "issues" with that yardage which is why I made this wedge. On the mentioned par 5 I had a bad drive and was 75 yards away laying 3. I had to get close to have a chance at a par.

So here was the big test. Shot went pin high on the green and left me a decent seven foot try for par (which I missed). In any case I've got a wedge that does just what I wanted it to.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
This head seemed heavy so took out all the weight screws. Much better. Now I have to find some nylon screws to fill the holes. :rolleyes:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.