• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My new BIG DOG, and its in the bag (for good?) - PICS

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I really like my GEEK driver, and was pretty sure that it would be a keeper. However in my tinkering I have found what I believe to be a driver that may very well be the first club I have ever hit that I honestly think I cannot hit any better. The shots I was hitting today were shocking. I was hitting the ball so consistantly I couldnt believe it. They were high but not ballooning , very hard to hammered, and right where I was aiming. No matter what I threw at this stick it just worked. I hit around 200 balls and not a single hook, this is a first for me. I honestly believe I would have hit 180 out of 200 fairways today. Of the 20 misses none were that bad.
This club also flies in the face of many things I once thought worked for me. I made this thing 45.5 inches long (thanks WBL), the shaft only weights 58 grams, yet the swing weight is D4.5
The weights in the driver head are set up for a fade, 2-10s in the toe, and 2-2's in the heel. The shaft is an "R" flex that cpm's at 234 at 48 inches raw length. Its is spine alligned. Again, I have never had a ball flight as straight as this. I have heard from someone else that this shaft in R flex has worked for a long drive guy with a 130mph swing, I now believe him. The hype is real imo and the best part is that this shaft cost $37. Yep, only $37 bucks. Heres a few pics, along with it next to its 3 wood cousin ;)
I am going to turn a few heads this year for sure.

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b399_biglyle2_121_2148_IMG.jpg

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b399_biglyle2_121_2149_IMG.jpg

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b399_biglyle2_121_2150_IMG.jpg

ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b399_biglyle2_121_2151_IMG.jpg

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Sweet. Although the 58g Rflex and such accuracy is certainly abnormal. What's the 3W head and shaft?

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
The 3 wood is a TM 200 steel with an MFS 65 by apache (KJ choi used this shaft). It has a 10 gram tip weight and a 10 gram butt weight to bring the shaft up to 85grams.

As for the "limey" there are numerous stories of guys picking up tremendous distance and accuracy with the 440 in R flex. Guys with swing speeds of 100 to 130 mph. The damn thing stands up to anything. By going 45.5 I could have the overall weight be very light while keeping the swing weight at almost D5 making it feel like a normal heavy club. Its amazing how much differance it makes.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Did you have the head repainted on the 3W? Mine are all grey colored and slightly closed faces.

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Yes, I repainted the head. It had a big scratch in it. I like it black better. Mine is a tour issue model, square face. Been in my bag for 3 years. Best 3-wood I have ever hit.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Yes, I repainted the head. It had a big scratch in it. I like it black better. Mine is a tour issue model, square face. Been in my bag for 3 years. Best 3-wood I have ever hit.

This may be for another thread but I'd definitely be very interested in how to paint a head. I've considered going to a few auto body shops and seeing if they would do it?

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Any reason why you have the grip reversed on your 3 - wood and not your driver?

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I just sanded it down real good (till it was neary bare), finishing with a really fine paper, like 320 grit. I then taped it up with painters tape, carefully masking the parts i dont want painted. (I used a combo of 1/4 inch tape and 1 inch tape)
Then I primed with a spray can of auto primer, 3 very light coats.

Then I applied duster coats of metallic black spray can auto paint untill it was covered completely. Took about 6 coats, 1 per hour.
I then applied 4 light coats of spray can auto clear coat. Again 1 coat per hour.
After every coat it sat under a 400 watt hallogen lamp to bake. Worked like a charm.

OP
LyleG

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Any reason why you have the grip reversed on your 3 - wood and not your driver?

Yes. I wanted to see if I could learn to like it upside down. I couldnt. It just looks too odd. I plan on blowing it off with my compressor and putting it back on the correct way.

🔥 Latest posts