• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My new clubs

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
As mentioned in another post, my bag is-a-changing.

This Friday I'll be collecting my new irons and driver from my teaching pro fitter.

The irons? A combo set of Srixon Z-545 (3-5 iron) and Z-745 (6-PW).

pic9.png
dp14-sx745-i-top4.jpg

I've never been a Srixon follower but my teaching pro/fitter suggested them to me when discussing better iron options than those in my bag.

He's a big fan of Japanese irons which in his view are the best forgings. He's a Titleist contracted pro but he sneakily games a Japanese Titleist version not available to us westerners.

I had tried the Epon AF-302 and the Mizuno MP-25 the previous week. Then at my last session I gave the Srixon's a good try. In short, they were absolutely fantastic.

To be frank, the Z-545 is the easiest iron I have ever hit. I flushed it time after time. The Z-745 felt great also. My teaching pro had my specs up on screen from the shot tracker thingy. Even though much more expensive, I had had been curious about the Epon irons. In the end, he said that the Epon wouldn't do better than the Srixons based on my performance.

My fitter/pro is also a big fan of the Nippon NS Modus Pro shaft which he says is taking the tour by storm. He has them in his irons.

I'll continue about driver in the next post ...

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Then it was on to driver. In my lessons, my pro has me swinging flatter than I used to. Now my 9.5 degree driver just doesn't get enough height. So, my pro shows me his driver => Cobra Fly-Z+

fly-z-driver.jpg

He gives me a hit with it. He changed the specs by moving the weight back and cranking it up to 11 degrees (yes, that's right - 11 degrees).

My first few hits were Boom! Long, straight and high. Completely the opposite of my ole faithful. It felt great to hit. I think I've found that consistent fairway finder I've been looking for. Anyhoo, long story short. He's done a special deal for me involving a used head being attached to my current gamer's shaft.

Similar to the Srixon brand, I've never really given the Cobra brand much of a thought. Both never really registered on my radar ... until now.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I'm really blessed that my teaching pro is also a proper club fitter. Everything gets fitted just like a pro would have. The so called 'fitters' that work out of golf retail outlets have no idea in comparison.

Anyhoo, I heartily recommend you check out the Srixons if you're looking for new irons. That Cobra FlyZ+ has some great press about it also.

Very excited about taking delivery this Friday. :)

subsonic

Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2008
Great Kit! (I think that is what you folks say.)

Srixon makes great irons. I think you will be pleased. Why did you go with a mixed set rather than a full set of the Z545?

Cobra FLY Z drivers are great. I really like mine. I have had success with Cobra drivers in the past and it continues into the future.

Splunge

Supporting Member
Apr 29, 2014
Massachusetts
Country
United States United States
I hit the Z945's the other day just for a hoot, j was playing nine holes with my club pro, who was testing them himself, to see if he wanted them. Way too bladed for me obviously, but man when you catch one of those bad boys pure... The feeling is really something else, truly second to none.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Great Kit! (I think that is what you folks say.)

Srixon makes great irons. I think you will be pleased. Why did you go with a mixed set rather than a full set of the Z545?

Cobra FLY Z drivers are great. I really like mine. I have had success with Cobra drivers in the past and it continues into the future.

It was tenting Subsinic. Originally he recommended 3-4 iron but then changed recommendation to 3-5. He just thought the help in the long irons would be invaluable.

Perhaps ego. The Z-745s sure are purdy.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
The lofts on those Z-545's are crazy strong.

Looking at the make up of the combo set, there looks to be bugger all difference than if I'd kept it at a full Z 745 set.

Z 545 IRONS SPECS
3 20°
4 22°
5 24°

Z 745 IRONS SPECS
3 20°
4 22°
5 25°

6 28°
7 32°
8 36°
9 41°
PW 46°

In any event, I'll have to redo all of my iron distances. My pro/fitter says that the shaft might add 5m to each club also.

Last edited:

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
United States United States
They are pretty. I would like to know what those modus3 120's feel like. Are they super smooth?

Last edited:
OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
They are pretty. I would like to know what those modus3 120's feel like. Are they super smooth?

I was only able to hit one demo club with that shaft. It felt fine but I'm largely trusting my fitter/pro, his knowledge of my game and also of the latest equipment.

NS_2090_Trajectory_Chart_480_ART1.jpg

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Reviews by Mark Crossfield of the Srixon irons.

His review of the driver.

A different review by Rick Shiels.

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts