• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My New "PLAN"!!!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I'm thinking of going a different "route" on my shaft "playing" and wondered what you all thought. These "name brand" drivers don't sell the heads so you have to drop $300-400 for a new one. Even the good ones on E-Bay are $200. AFTER I get my Tour Edge Exotics going does it make sense to start putting together my own drivers? I mean, is the SMT 455 DB head ($139) a good head (as an example). I could then play to my hearts content if that would produce as good as a Launcher or Ping etc. Are the factory heads really any better? It's getting a little expensive playing with new clubs. Does this make any sense and is there anyone in these forums that takes this route? :confused: :confused: :faintthud

http://www.xtremedistance.com/smt455.htm

Rynamite

100 handicap and rising
Jan 17, 2006
I don't know much about that particular driver head, but I've recently started building my own clubs using XPC and Snake eyes stuff from Golfsmith and I couldn't be happier. I hit the XPC hybrid I made for myself awesome. That's all that really counts. I say give it a try, it's a ton of fun.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Makes sense to me, I am really giving thought to building some Snake Eyes irons after I am done putting my TA5's together. Then I will have 5 sets of Irons I can't hit worth a damn. Of course the upside is that none of them will be Pings.:p

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Building clubs is pretty easy, save a few odd balls (bore thru, Composites, ect).

But the basics are dead easy.

R35

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Of course the upside is that none of them will be Pings.:p

Blasphemy!! Obviously you've never tried Pings. If you did all your other sets would be for sale now!!

twogreen

Aug 7, 2006
warbirdlover said:
I'm thinking of going a different "route" on my shaft "playing" and wondered what you all thought. These "name brand" drivers don't sell the heads so you have to drop $300-400 for a new one. Even the good ones on E-Bay are $200. AFTER I get my Tour Edge Exotics going does it make sense to start putting together my own drivers? I mean, is the SMT 455 DB head ($139) a good head (as an example). I could then play to my hearts content if that would produce as good as a Launcher or Ping etc. Are the factory heads really any better? It's getting a little expensive playing with new clubs. Does this make any sense and is there anyone in these forums that takes this route? :confused: :confused: :faintthud

http://www.xtremedistance.com/smt455.htm

Yes, yes...It makes more sense than you might realize until you try it. I built a 455 DB a couple of years ago and was amazed by what it did for my driving game. During the past two months, my swing had progressed to a point that the club was maxed out (for me). I bought a TE Exotics as a replacement. I love the Exotics; but, in retrospect, a shaft change for the 455 DB would have probably given me the same improvement for 1/3 the cost of the the new club.

There is also a certain satisfaction to be derived from ripping a drive with a club that was assembled with your own two hands.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
warbirdlover said:
Blasphemy!! Obviously you've never tried Pings. If you did all your other sets would be for sale now!!

Yeah I might quit golf at that, were I stuck with Pings.:)

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Then I will have 5 sets of Irons I can't hit worth a damn.

Karsten is ROLLING in his grave right now!!! (He IS dead, isn't he?) Watch, you'll be the one that will win a full set of Pings in some "giveaway".

:D

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Im not too big on Pings either, i dont like theyre "blade" clubs at all, and i cant look down at game improvement shovels and be confident on hitting it....

Aboot the SMT driver, i played with a guy who had one, says they feel great (it was a tourney so i couldnt try it during the round, and he was lefty anywayz) He said it felt alot like the top name drivers, but he got it custom done and shaft and everything for much less then a regular driver would cost. Im actually giving deep thought into an SMT head as well, the Nemesis looks SWEEEEET, and then get a good shaft off ebay, and im in the money:D i love the look of that blue head, and having no scoring lines on the face of your bigdog is pretty kewl.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Checkout Golfsmith.com They are starting to clear out some clubhead models as they prepare for the new lines. There are some good deals to be had on some awesome heads. Both the Snake Eyes Viper driver heads are on sale as well as the Python Powerlink head. I am currently playing both the Viper Ti-4 and Viper Ti-460 heads right now (depending on wind conditions and if the fairways are wet or dry) and they are awesome driver heads. The Vipers offer adjustable weight technology and the Python Powerlink is a composite head.

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
Some people would argue that building a set of irons is one thing but to build a driver it might better to just buy one... jmho;-)

Hey, is that a new pic of you wbl?

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Yeah, holding my "ace" trophy the golf course gave me where I got it. I put a post in the shottalk forum with the big pic of ugly old me and my big grin. I think I named it "Dey gived me a tropy" or something like that.

Check that out if you really want a shock to your optic system!!

If I stumble on to a winner soon (Tour Edge Exotics?) I'll forget about this whole driver building thing, LOL.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Just a note - when you start building your own drivers, make sure you put the correct flex shaft in them. :biglol:

edit - that was not very nice ;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
warbirdlover said:
When I do something it's done right!!!! :smilie_pi :D :prop:

You bought a Ping driver, right? That sorta defeats your statement there...

(Just riding your lead, VT....:D)

R35

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.