• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My New Putting method

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
In the last hour I have come up with a new method after watching a couple of Moe Norman videos on youtube, one where he sets up to the ball with the clubhead atleast a foot and a half behind it. His reasoning is quite simple, would can't take it inside, its good for tempo and you can't come out of the shot.

This got me thinking, how would this work if you skipped half the backstroke in putting and started halfway back. I tried atleast 20 putts from 5 feet to 20 feet in my living room and I hit my target 18 times. The other two times I left it short.

This putting stroke is basicly the same as the Stan Utley's putting stroke, the face is square to the arc so when you are halfway back the face looks open.

How I set up to the ball is same as any other putt...make sure the face is lined up then take your stance. Once you take your stance finish half your backstroke and hold it there, thats where you will start the putt. Make sure you aren't holding the face closed to keep it square with the target. From there just look down, finish your backstroke and hit the ball. You hit the ball solid and straight.

If you are a good putter I wouldn't do this but when pros say 90% of the problem is in the backstroke, why not eliminate 90% of the problems in the putting stroke and start from there.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I took a swing vid today, it was pretty funny. My downswing/through the ball was perfectly on plane, but becuz my backswing was literally so screwed up and I was compensating with my alignment nothing would work properly and I was hitting huge pulls and the odd slice:laugh:.

Think you could make a vid example of that Jason? I think I get whatcha mean but would like to see it.

🔥 Latest posts