• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

My new (used) MP-30's

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I got Clemsonhacker's MP-30's (thanks for the sweet deal) and took them out to the range yesterday. I brought a 6, 8, PW, along with the same clubs from my current set of 845's.

My first impressions are that the MP-30's might have a chance to kick the 845's out of the bag once I reshaft them (which I had intended all along) but it's going to be a tough call.

I remember when I bought the 845's with DG S300 shafts, and while I liked them, I didn't love them, mostly due to the dead feel of the S300's (too stiff for me). And the 845's were almost two clubs shorter than my Cleveland TA-7's, partly due to the head design, and partly due to the shafts. Chenging to a set of Dynalite Gold R300's woke the 845's up, and I now love them.

The MP-30's have that same dead feel (with their DG S300 shafts) but it's not as dead as I remember the 845's being. And the MP-30's with the S300's are hitting about as long as the 845's with the R300's. This is most encouraging, since it means that I will probably gain at least a full club distance when I reshaft them.

The shot profile with the MP-30's was very straight, no doubt somewhat due to the S300 shafts. I didn't lose much directional stability going to the Dynalite's in the 845's, and I don't anticipate losing much with the reshafted MP-30's. Both sets seem way more forgiving than I anticipated, although I think the MP-30's are less forgiving of really off-center hits. I hit a couple of real clunkers with them, and it's almost impossible with the 845's, as they seem to have a really big sweetspot. That's not a problem for me, since I want irons that tell me what I'm doing wrong (and right) in my swing.

The MP-30's definitely feel a bit softer than the 845's, but lose some in the "crispness" category. I believe this will change with a reshaft.

Cosmetically, the MP-30 is a nice looking club. About the same size, shape, and offset as the 845's, with a bit thicker topline. The irons Clemsonhacker gave me were in very good shape - no major dings - just a bit of bag chatter, and rusty quarter-sized impact marks in the center of each clubface. Pretty usual stuff I'm told. If these clubs do become my gamers, I will give some thought to refinishing them, but only because I'm a sucker for bright, shiny chrome.

I plan on reshafting the 6-iron with several different shafts, testing it each time for a couple of weeks, until I find the right shaft. This method worked great with my 845's. I'll revisit this review in the future.

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
im glad to hear that you liked them..but yea those s300 seem like dead weight...id tey the rifles in them..

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
me too! i'm switching out the S300s that came with the MP32s i snagged last week for the rifles in my MX23s. The difference in weight alone is simply staggering!!

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
if would you be interested in a trade, here's something to consider..... I have dynalite gold's in Stiff in my Maxfli's that I don't like and I'm currently looking for some DGS300s, so if you decide to go the dynalite route again just lmk

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
if would you be interested in a trade, here's something to consider..... I have dynalite gold's in Stiff in my Maxfli's that I don't like and I'm currently looking for some DGS300s, so if you decide to go the dynalite route again just lmk

The R300's are working so well for me that I don't want to go with the S300's, even if they are Dynalites.

I have the full set of brand new DG S300's I pulled from my 845's. I'l sell 'em cheap. PM me.

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
You wouldn't say that if you'd ever hit them...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.